Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth - Dystopia

Go down 
+41
DevZor
Speedmetalfreak
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
jstate
Wayne
Doomdance
Lurideath
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
A Handful of Wayne
The_Jayroh
MetalFRO
Thrasher73
Rex
QuothTheRaven
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
MetalGuy71
EvyMetal
Gilbert
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
Lari
Joe
GrandNational
bassman
nevermore
kmorg
tohostudios
Smindas
Wurthless
exact33
tul
Wargod
Eyesore
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 9:19 pm

I've now given this C.D 6 spins since picking it up last week. I will have to agree, this is easily better than the Crucible of Man and Framing Armageddon. I started listening to Iced Earth right after The Glorious Burden came out, so I'm not willing to say that it's better than that particular album, but then again I have no problem with people stating it's their best since Horror Story.

Favorite tracks in order: Anthem, V, Days of Rage, Dystopia, Boiling Point, Equilibrium & Dark City. I'm not as big on songs like Anguish of Youth or End of Innocence. And Tragedy and Triumph, just sounds so bizarre. With that being said, this is a great album!
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 am

I'm totally digging this cd. It's a billion times better than Crucible of Man was.....but I have to say I am a big fan of Framing Armageddon. I think Tim Owens sang his buttocks off on that disc and there are a LOT of very strong songs on it. Its just the interlude stuff that drug that one down.

But this new one is a return to form and Stu sounds great even though he seems a little awkward in certain places - as if he's trying too hard to phrase his singing to sound like Barlow's when he's singing softly and breathy (example: the beginning of End Of Innocence). But his lower register sounds strong and has the grit that Owen's voice has which is nice. I'd like to hear Stu use his upper screamy singing voice a little more on the next one. I'd also love to hear Stu sing Ten Thousand Strong. I bet he'd wail on that one.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:25 am

Rex - are you going to try and make the Iced Earth/Symphony X show in NC?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 am

When and where?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

Charlotte, Mar6 (it's a Tuesday)...my son & I are going...and Nikki from LOF is coming with us.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 am

Hmmmm....the Monday date in Raleigh would be a lot closer for me to go to and would probably be one I attend if I go. I'd love to go though, I'll have to ok it with my old lady.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

I got this album for Christmas and I'm very impressed. I had all but given up on these guys, but this album brought them back. The music, the vocals, all good.

The only minor quibble I have with the deluxe edition is the inclusion of the pointless 'Anthem [String Mix]'. One version (either one really) is all that's needed. Gimme one of those covers they did instead.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am

I was listening to this in my car this morning and it still sounds fantastic. I think if I had this album earlier in the year it might have been higher on my Top 25 list.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 am

Still digging this disc (and I still have to get off my butt and post a review on my HubPages blog)... Block is kinda like the best parts of Owens and Barlow all rolled up in one guy.

I really, really, REALLY hope this lineup can keep its sh*t together and make further albums...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:38 am

Quote :
I think if I had this album earlier in the year it might have been higher on my Top 25 list.

I'm thinking the same thing. I only got it at Christmas (with low expectations too) so I didn't even think to include it in my Top 10. Ah well.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Still digging this disc (and I still have to get off my butt and post a review on my HubPages blog)... Block is kinda like the best parts of Owens and Barlow all rolled up in one guy.

I really, really, REALLY hope this lineup can keep its sh*t together and make further albums...

I agree all around! It's a really good album...probably my fave since Something Wicked...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

that would be nice - and someone keeps jon from going all orchestral again...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Oh yeah this disc is phenomenal. I got it the day after Christmas and have given it a couple listens through. It's their strongest in quite a while. The new vocalist (who I've never heard before) just tears it up. Like Freddy said, I hope they're able to keep this line-up together for a nice long time.

Last edited by 007 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 pm

It's my number 1 from last last year. Like I said, I know all the lyrics! That's how much I've played and paid attention, you know. I don't often learn all the lyrics like I did as a teen. When I do, I know it's a great album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
It's my number 1 from last last year. Like I said, I know all the lyrics! That's how much I've played and paid attention, you know. I don't often learn all the lyrics like I did as a teen. When I do, I know it's a great album.

My #1 for 2011 too! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:36 am

Days of rage is such a great song. I've been playing it so much lately headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Speedmetalfreak wrote:
Days of rage is such a great song. I've been playing it so much lately headbanger
That's my least favorite song.

My problem with "Days of Rage" is that it's the only track where Stu sounds awkward, like he's forcing the tough-guy macho vocal. The chorus is weak, and the song just abruptly ends with a stupid fade-out. And it sounds way too much like "Disciples of the Lie," which itself sounded way too much like "Violate."
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Speedmetalfreak wrote:
I agree, cool song. One of the best.

Eyesore wrote:

That's my least favorite song.
And it sounds way too much like "Disciples of the Lie," which itself sounded way too much like "Violate."
I don't see the problem in that. Those are among the best Iced Earth songs and being too much like something really awesome isn't a bad thing, in my opinion!

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Totally echo this sentiment. They're also fantastic live, they gel really well.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Since I've been on such a Dystopia tear lately, I thought I'd break out Framing Armmegeddon (yea, I know thats probably spelled wrong), the last IE album I purchased, give it a fresh listen. Maybe I was a little harsh. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Skip over the little interludes and just focus on the songs.

Nope. Even the songs themselves just aren't memorable and it goes on for far too long. Owens and the band both sound fine but I think their performances just suffers from poor songwriting. I'd almost blame the whole overblown epic concept of the album, but then again, Dystopia is a concept album as well and it works there. Maybe it was just the subject matter of Framing...

Jon has really done a marvelous job with Dystopia. The songwriting has really improved.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Since I've been on such a Dystopia tear lately, I thought I'd break out Framing Armmegeddon (yea, I know thats probably spelled wrong), the last IE album I purchased, give it a fresh listen. Maybe I was a little harsh. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Skip over the little interludes and just focus on the songs.

Nope. Even the songs themselves just aren't memorable and it goes on for far too long. Owens and the band both sound fine but I think their performances just suffers from poor songwriting. I'd almost blame the whole overblown epic concept of the album, but then again, Dystopia is a concept album as well and it works there. Maybe it was just the subject matter of Framing...

Jon has really done a marvelous job with Dystopia. The songwriting has really improved.
Only "Dystopia" and "Tragedy and Triumph" are part of the Something Wicked concept. The rest are just based on movies and stuff, I think.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Eh, could be. I usually can't follow concept albums anyway. All I know is that Dystopia was a keeper from the first spin and I'd pretty much given up on these guys.

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Just ordered the disk and after reading through all these posts, I can't wait to get it.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Iced Earth was one of those bands that I always heard about, but never looked into. That is until I caught Dystopia on satellite radio a while back. Instantly hooked me into this record. Dystopia absolutely slays!!! Got me into their back catalog too. Some good stuff, thus far "Burnt Offerings" is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

I got the album and I still havent gotten around to spinning it yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth - Dystopia
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next