Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Iced Earth

Go down 
+2
Smindas
ultmetal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Quote :
BW&BK World Exclusive: ICED EARTH - Hearing Armageddon: An Advance Listen To Forthcoming Album

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 17:57:40 EST
Special report by Mark Gromen

Only the third person to hear Framing Armageddon in its entirety (after mastermind Jon Schaffer and producer Jim Morris), BW&BK can announce that this first installment of the two-disc Set Abominae concept is as epic, enjoyable, yet unconventional and boundary stretching (in terms of musicianship, instrumentation and scope of what's perceived to be Iced Earth) as Schaffer has intimated over the last decade. Don't ask him to explain the story, as it's a self-perpetuating myth with too many layers. Sci-fi fanatic Morris claims it could become a cottage industry unto itself, spawning an unending series of book/movie spinoffs, much like Star Wars or Star Trek, although it resembles neither.

Similarly, the music, from opening cello and Middle Eastern equivalent of slow samba rhythm ('Overture'), through the sonic deluge of 'The Setian Massacre', flamenco guitar and tribal drum patters on 'Something Wicked (Part 2)', to the bluesy, slide guitar and lap steel of the 10+ minute 'The Clouding' masterpiece or Hammond organ solo on 'The Domino Decree' and ultimately the entirely sung as a choir 'When Stars Collide (Born Is He)', retains multiple, recurrent parts, themes if you will (like Prokofiev's Peter And The Wolf), including a snippet dedicated to the main character, who although absent until Part 2 (appearing simultaneously in the timeline with the birth of Jesus Christ) can be heard on different instruments and at different paces throughout Framing Armageddon.

There's an undercurrent of Setian revenge on humanity, utilizing religious bickering to fragment man's unity.

"Embrace the fact man needs religion
Prophets, saviors and priests
All convinced they have the answer
The truth is they'll never know
Behind faith they'll hide and hope...
So convinced their way is right
The narrow view of all mankind
In the name of God they will divide"

-'Order Of The Rose'

Sixty-nine minutes of music, some of the songs ending abruptly, others segue directly into the next.

First listen standouts? The title track, the lone other example of full bore speed and triplets (a la pre-release single 'Ten Thousand Strong'), aka what many associate as standard Iced Earth. Without a doubt, the two-songs-in-one approach of 'The Clouding' shines brightest. The sedate first half recalls JUDAS PRIEST's 'Beyond The Realms Of Death', then it lets loose. It's a showcase for Tim "Ripper" Owens, who demonstrates newfound versatility throughout the disc and sings at impossible highs for sustained periods of time (see 'Retribution Through The Ages', 'Reflections' or the acappella ending of 'A Charge To Keep'). This is not a one and done listen, first due to the complex story line. Unlike many concept records, the songs stand on their own, identifiable as Iced Earth, yet not rehashing old ideas.

Prepare to commit a large chunk of time to multiple playbacks. And this is only Part 1!

A full in-studio report and interview with Jon Schaffer will appear in an upcoming issue of BW&BK.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Wow, that sounds far more interesting than I was expecting. I can't wait for this to be released.

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Iced Earth, never a bad album.
Back to top Go down

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Wow! That sounds awesome. This one is going to seriously piss off a lot of the more close-minded Iced Earth fans.

And why doesn't Jon explain to people that he's not playing triplets 99% of the time people say he is. That annoys the hell out me!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 am

Woohoo can't wait have everything Iced Earth has done plus some. My favorite all time metal band!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 am

meh, i like IE ok.. but haven't been into them since Burnt Offerings. perhaps this one will recapture my interest. we'll see.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:06 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Woohoo can't wait have everything Iced Earth has done plus some. My favorite all time metal band!

Wargod48

I didn't know that. Cool.

...plus some.
Bootlegs?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Sounds good to me,especially the part of Ripper hitting the highs for extended periods.Cant wait!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I just heard the new remake with Ripper on it on satellite radio and it sounded real good.
Back to top Go down

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I just heard the new remake with Ripper on it on satellite radio and it sounded real good.
It's awesome, if you ask me. It just takes some getting used to. Once you're confortable with it, you can really hear it as new songs—almost.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 5:07 am

Eyesore wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
It's awesome, if you ask me. It just takes some getting used to. Once you're confortable with it, you can really hear it as new songs—almost.

I agree. There seemed to be new life and freshness given to the re-make where it stands alone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Iced Earth   New Iced Earth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Iced Earth
Page 1 of 1