Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth

Go down 
+26
mc666
Devin's Child
James B.
brokentulsa
assault_attack
Hadley
scottmitchell74
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Temple of Blood
nevermore
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
manny
akeldama
Wrecked Neck
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Lari
Troublezone
exact33
glassprison
Gilbert
Eyesore
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 1:38 am

You guys see this?

Quote :
On the band's future plans:

Jon: "We are going to be re-recording [our older] records over the course of, probably, the next 10 years. We're going to be doing a lot of the ICED EARTH catalog because I don't own the master rights and there's no real income coming from that. If we redo those records, then everybody in the band will be able to get a royalty in the future moving forward. It's going to be a big project and it's going to be a lot of fun to do, to really dig back into those records — especially, like, the first six. That's what we're gonna focus on. I don't know which one we're gonna start with yet. I have a pretty good idea which one, but the guys and I will talk over that in the next few months. Not to take away, because I think those albums are great, but the fact is that it was a bad business deal for ICED EARTH, and for us going forward, we want to be able to have control of our catalog and of our destiny."

"If it takes three or four years for another ICED EARTH record, then so be it. I don't think that it will, but if it does, okay. Going forward, we're not going to be under any pressure to make another ICED EARTH record to the point where we're rushing it in between scheduled tours or something. I'm just not going to do that. It's going to be more, you know, we take our time and make the record that we want to make, and then, we put it out. And if we do that, we're going to end up with albums like 'Incorruptible' all the time, because it's not forced. It's like you're allowing the energy to flow the way it's supposed to and coming up with the goods. That's all about learning from past experiences and just trying to go with the flow and not force something because of a time commitment. And besides, now that we are free [agents], the way that we're going to be doing business as a band going forward is going to be completely different than anything in the past. That, also, gives us a lot of possibilities of dictating the way that our future is done. So, it's a great period for the band right now, actually."

Man, I totally understand why bands do this, especially these days when money is scarce. But...the first six albums? That's the Barlow era wiped off the map. Sort of. I'm all for re-recording the first two albums, as they're the weakest (though I do like them), but from Burnt Offerings up through Horror Show, we're talking near perfection here. Again, I get why they're doing it, but it's hard to imagine them improving on those albums.

I don't know. I'm not against re-recordings. I love the Days of Purgatory albums, even if they're too bass heavy. I think the songs on Testament's First Strike Still Deadly blow the originals away, so I'm all for bands giving it a go, but re-recording the Barlow-era albums is kind of like desecrating holy monuments. Haha.

Guess we'll see. I imagine he'll be re-recording Burnt Offerings first, as he's never had kind things to say about that one.

Last edited by Eyesore on Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 2:19 am

I am curious to check them out.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 am

Even if they did own the rights, how much could they possibly expect from those first few records these days? Further, what are they expecting to earn from the re-recordings vs. the cost of actually going into the studio to do all of them in full? Sounds like a completely ridiculous idea to me.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 am

glassprison wrote:
Even if they did own the rights, how much could they possibly expect from those first few records these days? Further, what are they expecting to earn from the re-recordings vs. the cost of actually going into the studio to do all of them in full? Sounds like a completely ridiculous idea to me.

True. I don't expect many people to buy the re-recordings, especially that the original releases are normally available in shops. But as i said, i may still check them out.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 am

I hope the re-recording do not interfere with the regular new material because IE has hit a stride with the new material and it would be a shame to derail that momentum.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 am

The albums won't sell enough to justify re-recording them.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 am

I'll re-buy the debut for sure. The others are fine the way they are.

And did Eyesore just call Stormrider "the weakest"? Come here so I can slap you with a trout.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 am

Quote :
did Eyesore just call Stormrider "the weakest"? Come here so I can slap you with a trout.

Me next! Me next!

But seriously... yeah, this project sounds like a waste of everyone's time. I can sort of understand why Jon might want to have "his" own versions of the songs for personal archive purposes, but otherwise it seems pretty pointless.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 8:59 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
did Eyesore just call Stormrider "the weakest"? Come here so I can slap you with a trout.

Me next! Me next!

But seriously... yeah, this project sounds like a waste of everyone's time. I can sort of understand why Jon might want to have "his" own versions of the songs for personal archive purposes, but otherwise it seems pretty pointless.

in the end the control is the determining factor here...

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
but from Burnt Offerings up through Horror Show, we're talking near perfection here. Again, I get why they're doing it, but it's hard to imagine them improving on those albums.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  It was during this period that I ranked IE as one of my favorite bands.  I still spin those albums regularly.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 am

I get why they're doing this, but I'm not really interested in them. I'm fine with the way they originally are.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 3:00 pm

I read that yesterday and thinks it's dumb. I understand they want to get the rights, but if for some reason I lost those original albums and had to replace them, I will buy the originals again over the re-recorded ones. And whoever says the first two are weak, are crazy. The first one is a good album, but Night of the Stormrider is a freakin masterpiece. Wish they could have kept Greely around for the follow up.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 3:34 pm

I don't see the point but I won't be getting these again especially since I'm not big on Barlow's voice.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 3:43 pm

akeldama wrote:
I don't see the point but I won't be getting these again especially since I'm not big on Barlow's voice.

So then... maybe you should get them, just to have Barlow's parts re-sung by Block?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm

I am against re-recording old tunes, if its a band like KISS or Def Leppard it makes a little more sense, even thou they do not need the money, their songs are used in movies, commercials, etc, but Iced Earth's music is not being licensed to any big Hollywood films, tv shows or ads, its a waste of money.

In today's market, it will not sell enough to justify the cost and older fans like me, are not going to bother re-buying re-record versions of their classic albums unless we find them dirt cheap.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Lari wrote:
akeldama wrote:

So then... maybe you should get them, just to have Barlow's parts re-sung by Block?

Ya know I thought about that but I hate re-recordings like that. I guess I see why Schaffer is doing it but I just don’t like it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 4:22 pm

manny wrote:
I am against re-recording old tunes, if its a band like KISS or Def Leppard it makes a little more sense, even thou they do not need the money, their songs are used in movies, commercials, etc, but Iced Earth's music is not being licensed to any big Hollywood films, tv shows or ads, its a waste of money.

In today's market, it will not sell enough to justify the cost and older fans like me, are not going to bother re-buying re-record versions of their classic albums unless we find them dirt cheap.  

Or unless they are somehow superior?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Other then the first one I doubt i'll be interested as I don't see a need to improve them.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Dumb.

Also, they already re-recorded a bunch of tracks for the Days Of Purgatory compilation.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Dumb.

Also, they already re-recorded a bunch of tracks for the Days Of Purgatory compilation.

I thought they had already re-recorded some stuff. I would do like others have said and just hunt down the originals if I needed them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Gilbert wrote:
glassprison wrote:

True. I don't expect many people to buy the re-recordings, especially that the original releases are normally available in shops. But as i said, i may still check them out.

Well, I imagine they feel like it's a worthy investment. There are other avenues to make money, with licensing the songs and all that, so who knows. Jon apparently has his own recording complex now, so I'd expect the cost would be minimal compared to past albums. And they're already written, so unless they go in and drastically change everything, the recordings shouldn't take long.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 pm

And I never said the first two are weak, just the weakest of their catalog. Maybe it's because I became a fan of the band when The Dark Saga came out, I don't know. Great songs marred by not-so-great vocalists and production.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't see how this will improve the quality on any of them, except the debut.

Like others have said, I also doubt this will earn them any significant money.

My band has also decided to re-record our first two albums, but for different reasons. We want to demonstrate our improved vocals and production, mostly. I know that's been a sticking point for potential customers in the past, so I'd like to go ahead and remedy it now that I can.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Iced Earth should re-record the debut, then include that as a bonus disc with their next album.

Now THAT would probably sell.

Rage did something similar with re-recorded Avenger tracks as a limited edition bonus disc to their new album, Seasons of the Black.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't see how this will improve the quality on any of them, except the debut.

Like others have said, I also doubt this will earn them any significant money.

My band has also decided to re-record our first two albums, but for different reasons.  We want to demonstrate our improved vocals and production, mostly.  I know that's been a sticking point for potential customers in the past, so I'd like to go ahead and remedy it now that I can.

So what is gonna happen with your long delayed third album?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Iced Earth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next