Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth - Dystopia

Go down 
+41
DevZor
Speedmetalfreak
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
jstate
Wayne
Doomdance
Lurideath
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
A Handful of Wayne
The_Jayroh
MetalFRO
Thrasher73
Rex
QuothTheRaven
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
MetalGuy71
EvyMetal
Gilbert
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
Lari
Joe
GrandNational
bassman
nevermore
kmorg
tohostudios
Smindas
Wurthless
exact33
tul
Wargod
Eyesore
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
THe Upper Crust - Back in Black
The Angels - Problem Child
lol!

doh... wrong thread. cant sleep and my brain is fried...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:58 am

exact33 wrote:
cant sleep and my brain is fried...

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:24 am

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
cant sleep and my brain is fried...

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:18 pm

exact33 wrote:
are the bonus tracks worth getting?

Iron Will should of made the album.. Second best song IMO!!!
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:38 pm

I really enjoy this album, it's so much better than the previous two albums. Nice...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:39 pm

...still don't have it.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Probably the best Iced Earth album since Horrow Show. I am shocked by how much I'm enjoying this, it really puts the last three to shame. Block actually sounds brilliant for the most part.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Smindas wrote:
Probably the best Iced Earth album since Horrow Show. I am shocked by how much I'm enjoying this, it really puts the last three to shame. Block actually sounds brilliant for the most part.
Aside from his vocals sound really macho-forced on "Days of Rage," I think he sounds brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

I think it's sad how no one seems to care how much better these guitar solos are than what they've had in the past. Santolla was great, but most of the time IE had sub-par soloing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Lari wrote:
...still don't have it.

Me neither. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm really diggin' this one. The new guy has such a versatile voice. He does a great Barlow impression but also does Halford-ish screams at times. Solid songwriting too.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I'm really diggin' this one. The new guy has such a versatile voice. He does a great Barlow impression but also does Halford-ish screams at times. Solid songwriting too.

Have you ever heard him in Into Eternity? They're pretty good too. Love this song...

More harsh than I'd imagine what he's doing in Iced Earth, but I like it.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I think it's sad how no one seems to care how much better these guitar solos are than what they've had in the past. Santolla was great, but most of the time IE had sub-par soloing.

I love the guitar solos from past IE albums, but I think I agree with you. I've only listened to it once (again when I'm done with the new Edguy) but what stood out for me almost as much as Stu's voice and the good songwriting was the solos.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Have you ever heard him in Into Eternity? They're pretty good too. Love this song...

More harsh than I'd imagine what he's doing in Iced Earth, but I like it.

Holy crap! That's the same guy? You know me and cookie monster vocals...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:36 pm

The more I listen to this new Iced Earth, the more impressed I am. The vocals are just amazing; it sounds like there are 2 (and sometimes 3) completely different singers, sometimes in the same song.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The more I listen to this new Iced Earth, the more impressed I am. The vocals are just amazing; it sounds like there are 2 (and sometimes 3) completely different singers, sometimes in the same song.

I was just listening to it (I have two more songs, but I had to reset my MP3 player) and that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if Stu had some vocal lessons before joining because apart from the high pitched screams he sounds like a different person. This album I think moves Alice Cooper out of my #1 spot, I'll need to give it a listen again to see.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Stu is a beast! I think he's better than Barlow and Owens. Like I said before, he does what both of them did and he can do more.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I was just listening to it (I have two more songs, but I had to reset my MP3 player) and that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if Stu had some vocal lessons before joining because apart from the high pitched screams he sounds like a different person. This album I think moves Alice Cooper out of my #1 spot, I'll need to give it a listen again to see.
No. Aside from the strong mid-range he's using here, he did all the rest in Into Eternity, plus growls and screams. He used that mid-range in Into Eternity, too, but there's a bit more power behind it on this Iced Earth album, you know; it's a little heavier.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I think Jon's made several questionable decisions regarding the direction of his band in the past couple years but picking Stu as the new singer was a brilliant choice IMO. For me this guy's vox fit the music like a glove.

EDIT: And on my second pass through the album, I did notice the guitar solos more than I typically do on an IE album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Actually, that's a good point ToB. I've always thought Iced Earth often had rather mediocre (and occasionally quite terrible) solos. It's good to see that changing quite significantly, they've always needed a bit better lead work.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Finally! I have the CD!

I was going to play it on my way and back from work, but I didn't get it to my Zen player right (I ripped the album right, but in a hurry I forgot to import it to the player). But hey, this is even better - now I get to have my first spin this evening with a glass of whiskey and enough time to really listen and what's even better, it's straight from the CD and with good headphones instead of compressed music and portable crap.

This is an opportunity, too. I will write down my first impressions, just because I think it will be funny to read them later on, after a dozen spins and proper insight. Remember, I haven't heard any of the samples or preview tracks either (apart from the Dante's Inferno remake). I've steered clear on purpose. I have the 13 track digipak, so:

1. Dystopia
- a metal march intro and a growl to start it all off, wow. If I didn't know Iced Earth, I'd expect a different kind of band after that. Anyway, this track reminds me of Angel Dust's Of Human Bondage album. Block sounds Barlowish on the chorus. And like that Marshall Law guy (name escapes me now) during the verses. But the pre-chorus is totally meant to sound like Ripper. Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the vocals?

2. Anthem
- easy, instant pleaser, kind of forgot it wasn't Barlow singing for awhile.

3. Boiling Point
- up-tempo, nice. Lacking a memorable main riff / melody, but I like the pace. A short song, but definitely has the potential to become a personal favourite. Good one, the album definitely needed the change of pace...

4. Anguish of Youth
- ...especially since it's followed by this. Not my favourite, this is a bit slow and uninteresting. Lyrics deal with teenage suicide, bleh. The only highlight is Stu Block during the verses. The chorus doesn't do much for me.

5. V
- laden with awesome trademark Iced Earth rhythm work, this one is easy to like. I also really like songs with memorable verses like this. I get a feeling I've heard this chorus before, but whatever, 'V' is definitely a favourite right now.

6. Dark City
- sounds a bit like a Maiden song. I cannot decide which one, maybe Flash of the Blade? With a bit of euro-power in it. Again I like the faster beat. One of the most interesting Schaffer-penned songs I've heard since Dracula.

The post is getting long and I have seven more tracks to listen to, so I'll take a break here and finish up in a bit with the second half of the album. So far, I have a feeling this will work as a great gateway album to the band. Good variety, a great sounding record, plenty of vintage Iced Earth rhythm work, a bit of everything singing-style-wise.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm

7. Equilibrium
- more of that solid trademark Iced Earth rhythm section, paired with a catchy, groovy verse. The basics work real well, again. And that "Destroying our stimuli" followed by "the serum keeps us pacified" is the first fist-pumping chorus moment of the album. This is so vintage sounding it could be on the debut Iced Earth album. There's some Ripper sounding vocals towards the end again.

By the way, are the lyrics supposed to be about some famous dystopian novels/movies? I haven't recognised any yet, not that I've paid much attention. Unless maybe Dystopia was about Fahrenheit 451. I'm not much of a movie watcher.

8. Days of Rage
- holy smurf poo, Disciples of the Lie! Nothing new here, but a great song anyway. I always liked the Violate, Jack type of aggressive Iced Earth songs. Stu sounds like Chuck Billy on the chorus. The song is so short it leaves you wanting for more. And so short I didn't have time to write down enough about it.

9. End of Innocence
- sounds like Blessed Are You. Or maybe one of those mostly acoustic ballads. But another great showing by Stu either way. Catchy, epic chorus... an instant pleaser. But I can say already now I'll probably get tired of it fast. Songs so far are quite short.

10. Soylent Green
- the guitars are driving home the same riff way too much. And the riff ain't even all that great. Really I don't know... this didn't give me much. Let's see after a few more spins...

11. Iron Will
- I see this and the previous track are listed as bonus tracks. Well, I can say right now it's not that surprising. And if you got the standard version, you are not missing anything essential. At least this one has a nice uplifting chorus with a (yet again) Maiden-like gallopping bass backing it. Actually this is more of a Maiden track than that other one, what was it, Dark City? Otherwise it's a pretty "classic rock" feeling track, just with an Iced Earth sound.

Late comment addition: this could be their Wasted Years! And that's actually a compliment. Maybe it's not such a bad 'bonus track', ha ha.

12. Tragedy and Triumph
- wow, another up-beat classic sounding track. This sounds again like something I've heard before... even on this album. And AGAIN it has that Maiden vibe. I guess this IS sort of back to the roots, since the Iced Earth debut sounded a lot like a cross between Maiden and Metallica. They then later evolved into the Something Wicked -era band we've heard for the past decade or so. The song - it has a real good chorus. I like it. What I don't like is the fadeout.

13. Anthem (string mix)
- this song again. Just with an orchestra string section. Mm, not bad. I'll need to play the original again to know which one I like. Either I'm either getting more inebriated or the chorus sounds better the second time around. Probably a bit of both.

Around track 9 or 10, or 11, my wife called me out for whatever (no, not sex), but I picked up the cd and case while coming back and a small leaflet I hadn't seen before fell out of the digipak. Apparently a ticket to download another bonus track, which is the Trooper. Obviously I did that once I was done listening to the album. As for the song, well, Iced Earth has a history of recording a lot of Maiden covers, and now with this album having an obvious 'back-to-the-roots' feel, why not do another one? Too bad it doesn't sound too hot. But eh, it's not even a bonus track - it's downloadable bonus content! I guess they got themselves covered. No critisism possible. And there was a nice scream by Stu in the song, too. Worthy of one listen.

And while typing this out, and I have to say I took some time to do it (I spent maybe even a bit too much on it to get totally legitimate "first impressions"). Anyway, while typing, I was actually listening to some of the early tracks the second time. Pretty much everything sounds better now. And I thought I already liked it all.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Nice track by track review Lari.

I'm totally impressed by this album. Great comeback considering I find the albums after "Horror Show" to be iffy at best.

And Stu just slays on vokills; I find his versatility and range amazing.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Nice track by track review Lari.

I'm totally impressed by this album. Great comeback considering I find the albums after "Horror Show" to be iffy at best.

And Stu just slays on vokills; I find his versatility and range amazing.

headbanger I'm with you.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Wait...you got a download card for "The Trooper?" That's only supposed to come with the vinyl.

Now you have to share.

I thought the YouTube clip of "The Trooper" sounded great. There's an iTunes exclusive of "Mob Rules," too.

Oh, and I definitely think it's worth getting the version with the two bonus tracks. "Soylent Green" isn't amazing, but it's good, and I think "Iron Will" is excellent. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

The strings mix of "Anthem" is just filler. There's hardly a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Dystopia   Iced Earth - Dystopia - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth - Dystopia
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next