Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know

Go down 
+28
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
EvyMetal
TheGooch
metalmaniac122
MetalFRO
Lurideath
rattpoison
7thSecond
MetalH
skullsmasher
Zdan
A Handful of Wayne
Olafsto
kmorg
XYZ
mc666
candlemass
sam
Mglaffas81
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
manny
Fat Freddy
Rex
ultmetal
exact33
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
You want blasphemy? Look at Christian TV...

Poor example since they really don't repre$ent the true church.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Who really does?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Quote :
we've all seen this kind of thing before and its becoming more and more common place.

As Metal fans, yeah...it's passe. But to the Beyonce loving dude who goes into Best Buy for another 360 game it's "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT??"

ToB is more than welcome to his opinion...and we're all welcome to our opinions on his opinion. I'm not trying to change his mind...I'm just having a (somewhat sarcastic) discussion.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

i like the artwork. it kinda puts me in mind of Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion cover by H.R. Giger.

this is an album i've really been looking forward to. the cool cover art only amps that up more.

Last edited by mc666 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Neither does a painting of a beheaded man on a cross.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Quote :
Actually, I don't have tons of similar images on other albums.

Wasn't refering to you btw. I was just curious why...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

You know it is meant to be Christ.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Hmm..... interesting.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Where is the blasphemy?

Huh? Are you looking at the same pic?

Yes it I am, it is a metaphor, so I see no blasphemy.

When Christ is shown as weaker than satan then it's beyond a metaphor. Even if the artist meant it that way the band is using it as a slam.

That's exactly how it appeared to everyone then, Christ was the weaker, Christ himself said it was "the hour of darkness." His disciples all fled in fear, I think that art does well at depicting how it really was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

You know it is meant to be Christ.

I know that's what we're all conditioned to think. People were being crucified for a long time before Jesus was...it was pretty common.

cricifix = symbol = metaphor for something bigger = "the" church in general (seen as "the" oppressor)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
the band is using it to sell CD's

Fixed.

Which proves exactly how safe it is among their audience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
the band is using it to sell CD's

Fixed.

Which proves exactly how safe it is among their audience.

No argument there...devil/christian imagery is cliche in Metal...
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:47 pm

mc666 wrote:
i like the artwork. it kinda puts me in mind of Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion cover by H.R. Giger.

this is an album i've really been looking forward to. the cool cover art only amps that up more.

kinda does.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 pm

mc666 wrote:

Exactly! Another image showing Satan having power over Christ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Exactly! Another image showing Satan having power over Christ.

And another image designed to cause a reaction (good or bad) in people...like all good art should.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:51 pm

They need that to sell lp's? C'mon, Sabbath fans have been foaming at the mouth for a release ever since Forbidden!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Where is the blasphemy?

Haha .... how can you tell? Is everything a metaphor?

If they showed a picture of the white house exploding is that a metaphor for something? What if they showed Barack Obama getting impaled?

Yes if such artwork exisited than I am sure would be a metaphor, and when it comes to lyrics and art in general yes most of the time they are speaking in metaphors.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Quote :

I know that's what we're all conditioned to think. People were being crucified for a long time before Jesus was...it was pretty common.

So you think that any other "person" that was crucified just happened to be at odds with the devil? The devil is holding the crucified figure and we all know what it implies. Nice try though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm

mc666 wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Where is the blasphemy?

When Christ is shown as weaker than satan then it's beyond a metaphor. Even if the artist meant it that way the band is using it as a slam.

Really? You have spoke to Iommi and Dio about this artwork and btw next time you speak to them can you get their autograph for me?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm

I really don't get this, if you look at all the great artwork over the centuries of the crucifixtion they're hardly depicting triumph and glory. It was a time of great sorrow and fear, it indeed seemed to all a great tragic loss and defeat!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 pm

candlemass wrote:
They need that to sell lp's? C'mon, Sabbath fans have been foaming at the mouth for a release ever since Forbidden!

Exactly! Their music speaks for itself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

So you think that any other "person" that was crucified just happened to be at odds with the devil? The devil is holding the crucified figure and we all know what it implies. Nice try though. Laughing

I never said I think anything... Cool
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Troublezone wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Exactly! Their music speaks for itself.

I also agree with thisr statement but a little controversy does not hurt, if they were to release the album cover with their four ugly mugs on the cover I would still buy it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Exactly!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next