Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know

Go down 
+28
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
EvyMetal
TheGooch
metalmaniac122
MetalFRO
Lurideath
rattpoison
7thSecond
MetalH
skullsmasher
Zdan
A Handful of Wayne
Olafsto
kmorg
XYZ
mc666
candlemass
sam
Mglaffas81
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
manny
Fat Freddy
Rex
ultmetal
exact33
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:29 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't know if I can in good conscience buy this album now. That cover is obviously a swipe at Christianity. That's a shame too, because I bet this album will be quite good.

I don't think the cover is a swipe at Christianity, even if I understand why you may think so, what I read is that this art is based on a painting titled 'Satan' and this is how Satan viewed the Crucifixion, I also will not be surprised if an alternative cover is thrown out there for retailers like Walmart which successfully sold and helped promote 'The Dio Years' and 'Live at Radio City Music Hall' CD and DVD.

BTW the original artwork is based on an artist from Norway Per Oyvind Haagensen.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:32 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
To be fair many of the thrash albums you like probably have anti Christian themes as well.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

But why single them out?

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
To be fair many of the thrash albums you like probably have anti Christian themes as well.

Then why single them out?

Huh?

Because this thread is about their new album perhaps?

Also, read #1 of my response a few posts ago.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am

temple of blood, I can't think of one single song where Black Sabbath w/ Dio or Dio the band did a song where they mock or take a swipe at Christianity, could you give me a lyrical example of one song you feel that does?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Then why single them out?

Huh?

Because this thread is about their new album perhaps?

Also, read #1 of my response a few posts ago.

I understand that but my point is you all of a sudden want to not buy an album because of the cover while you obvioulsy have bought a closet full of such in the past.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't know if I can in good conscience buy this album now. That cover is obviously a swipe at Christianity. That's a shame too, because I bet this album will be quite good.

Would you really not buy this album just because of the cover? Do you honestly believe that the members of Black Sabbath are making an anti-Christian statement with this? You don't think it's just a marketing gimmick?

1. Very possibly. It's not like I don't already have a closet full of metal CDs and cassettes that I can listen to without putting another dollar in the devil's pocket (so to speak).
2. Yes, especially Dio. He seems to think along those lines.
3. Who approves the marketing? They obviously approve of their own album cover. It's their endorsement.

Eh, fair enough I guess. You've got your reasons. I don't understand that sort of logic, but that's just me. The only thing that would keep me from making this purchase is knowing that Sharon Osbourne might somehow benefit from this, which just makes my blood boil.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 am

I can understand ToB's viewpoint. It was actually the first thing that went through my mind. Especially since they went out of their way to amend the original painting with floating crucifixes that sorely stick out of place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 am

I don't think the cover is making any statement other than..."that's a wicked cool lookin' demon there". The album is titled "The Devil You Know" after all, so it kind of makes sense to have something "evil" on the cover.

But if you think it's anything other than comic book art then you're taking things a little too seriously.

BTW - The first single will be "Bible Black" and will be released on Mar 31st.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 am

I typically don't read comics that show the devil holding up what seems to be the beheaded body of Christ. DC and Marvel don't tend to put on comics like that. It's been a while since I have seen that kindof thing in Justice League comics.

That cover art is pretty atypical for anything but underground comic books.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I think that is a wicked cover 🤘 - A little unusual for the Sabbs, but still awesome.

I really don't think this cover is attacking christ or a marketing gimmick - Dio's lyrics are spiritual, not satanic and/or attacking. I always found his lyrics to be very good. The devil on the cover is a metaphor, and can mean lots of different things.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Rex wrote:
I can understand ToB's viewpoint. It was actually the first thing that went through my mind. Especially since they went out of their way to amend the original painting with floating crucifixes that sorely stick out of place.

Yeah me too but when you own tons of similar images on other albums...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Quote :
Dio's lyrics are spiritual, not satanic and/or attacking.

Don't confuse spiritual with magical. And i do get the impression that Dio is critical of Christianity.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I think that is a wicked cover 🤘 - A little unusual for the Sabbs, but still awesome.

I really don't think this cover is attacking christ or a marketing gimmick - Dio's lyrics are spiritual, not satanic and/or attacking. I always found his lyrics to be very good. The devil on the cover is a metaphor, and can mean lots of different things.

I agree it can mean anything, but the bottom line is they picked the cover because it is cool and will cause some controversy, I doubt the Sabbath men were trying to make any big statement on the state of Christianity.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Quote :
they picked the cover because it is cool

In what way?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Dio's lyrics are spiritual, not satanic and/or attacking.

Don't confuse spiritual with magical. And i do get the impression that Dio is critical of Christianity.

I think he is critical of very same things alot of people that are Christians and non Christians are critical about when it come to organized religion, I donot believe he is critical of Christianity or faith in Christ in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Quote :
I doubt the Sabbath men were trying to make any big statement on the state of Christianity.

Agreed. They're trying to show that, in their 60's, they can still stir the pot.

Besides, the title is taken from an old saying "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't"...meaning it may be what it is, but at least you know where you stand and what to expect...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Rex wrote:

Yeah me too but when you own tons of similar images on other albums...

... and you don't want to continue to do something that may have been wrong, then you don't keep buying music like that.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

In what way?

It is eye catching and like all art good or bad, it makes you think. Also I happen to like it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

In what way?

Because it shows the devil having power over Christ and to Average Joe Metalhead that is ultra-cool.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm

manny wrote:

I think he is critical of very same things alot of people that are Christians and non Christians are critical about when it come to organized religion, I donot believe he is critical of Christianity or faith in Christ in general.

Then you haven't heard many interviews with Dio. He has said it several times.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
manny wrote:

Then you haven't heard many interviews with Dio. He has said it several times.

I have read many interview in the last twenty plus years and again he has been critical of organized religion, provide me one quote where he attacks Christ or Chrisitanity.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:17 pm

By attacking do you mean, saying the whole belief system is bunk? I think he said it on the Heaven and Hell DVD interview.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

In what way?

Because it shows the devil having power over Christ and to Average Joe Metalhead that is ultra-cool.

This is what you got out of it? As Average Joe Metalhead I do like the artwork and again I donot think that is what artist is implying.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
By attacking do you mean, saying the whole belief system is bunk? I think he said it on the Heaven and Hell DVD interview.

I have that interview and that is not exactly what he says, also I have read plenty of interviews and even have the book about Dio written by Martin Popoff, and nope not a single attack on Christianity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

That's not specific to Christianity...he thinks all belief systems/organized religions are bunk.

Bottom line, the art causes contrversy and will get them attention...just look at this thread. What better way to cause contreversy and appear "dangerous" and get attention than to combine devils and crucifixes on an album cover?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know   Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven & Hell - Official cover art for The Devil You Know
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next