Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...

Go down 
+25
arachnoplasma
exact33
Ben Grimm
sheets
MetalGuy71
manny
Troublezone
Required Fields
Witchfinder
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Rex
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
skullkrusher
QuothTheRaven
ghost
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
jstate
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Empty
PostSubject: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 am

Put this one while working out the other day and really enjoyed it. It's overall a bit slow and doomy, but incredibly heavy and Dio sounds great! I was really enjoying it, much moreso than I remember when it first came out. Anyone else like this album more over time?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 am

Yep! Love this album! As sad as it was to see Dio go, at least he went out with one of the best albums of his career!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:36 am

I don't like it much, just a few parts here and there. It's the worst of the Dio Sabbath albums, maybe the worst of the non-Ozzy Sabbath albums too.

I really like "The Devil Cried" though. Much better than any of the other material that went on that album.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

I like it about the same and think the early stuff with Dio was better. Still a wothy album.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I liked it right off but didn't really find it anything special initially. Think my expectations for it were a bit unreal. But with more plays it grew into a great album for me.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I like it about the same as I did when it came out. It's good but nothing special. Easily my least favorite of the Dio era.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 1:18 pm

I think it's a really good album with some great songs. "Bible Black" is one of the best Sabbath tunes ever, rivals the classics.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I liked it right when it came out and still like it. I think that it is a great album with lots of good songs on it.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 2:04 pm

I revisited this album in the car this week. I think it is pretty strong. Dio's voice is amazing, especially considering he was in his mid-60s when it was recorded. Easily matches the other Dio-era Sabbath albums.
Back to top Go down
skullkrusher
Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Dio and the band sound great, the production is flawless, some nice riffs here and there, but the songs themselves are mostly dull.

I give it a 6/10, which is "above average".

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

My opinion hasn't changed, I thought it was an excellent album when it came out and I still do. It's a classy album from a classy band.

I rank it just below Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules, it's a better album than Dehumanizer.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree w/ S.D.

I love it...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:30 pm

skullkrusher wrote:

Dio and the band sound great, the production is flawless, some nice riffs here and there, but the songs themselves are mostly dull.

I give it a 6/10, which is "above average".
This is why I don't trust anyone else's opinion of albums. A "mostly dull" album is not a 6/10. Laughing
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I am gonna "blast" it tonight after the company splits.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Quote :
it's a better album than Dehumanizer.

Yeah, I'll give you that.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm

James B. wrote:
I am gonna "blast" it tonight after the company splits.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I like Dehumanizer...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't like it much, just a few parts here and there. It's the worst of the Dio Sabbath albums, maybe the worst of the non-Ozzy Sabbath albums too.

I really like "The Devil Cried" though. Much better than any of the other material that went on that album.

This sums my thoughts up.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 pm

There's something about Iommi's playing that I do not like, it's way too simplified. However it has nothing to do with the whole impact of a song, a good song is a good song and I give him full credit for that (Most Sabbath songs are good BTW) . While i do not even rank this album above Dehumanizer, it's kinda OK, I mean Lock-Up-The-Wolves-Magica-MasterOfTheMoon-Strange-Highways OK...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
There's something about Iommi's playing that I do not like, it's way too simplified. However it has nothing to do with the whole impact of a song, a good song is a good song and I give him full credit for that (Most Sabbath songs are good BTW) . While i do not even rank this album above Dehumanizer, it's kinda OK, I mean Lock-Up-The-Wolves-Magica-Strange-Highways OK...

I love those last three. As for the Devil You Know, I like it and think it' pretty good but it just didn't live up to my expectations. It has been a while though, maybe I need to give it another listen.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:32 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
There's something about Iommi's playing that I do not like, it's way too simplified. However it has nothing to do with the whole impact of a song, a good song is a good song and I give him full credit for that (Most Sabbath songs are good BTW) . While i do not even rank this album above Dehumanizer, it's kinda OK, I mean Lock-Up-The-Wolves-Magica-MasterOfTheMoon-Strange-Highways OK...
There is no such thing as "too simple" in music. There is only good music and bad music and whatever lies in between.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:

There is no such thing as "too simple" in music. There is only good music and bad music and whatever lies in between.

x2

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I'll go one more, there's only "what I like and what I don't like." Very Happy

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:45 pm

A total snoozefest. A record that lacks any pep or hooks. I was, and still am, extremely disappointed in the album. I shouldn't have been surprised though, as Dio had churned out album after album of plodding tunes since the early 90's (with the notable exception of Killing The Dragon.) This album is the aural equivalent of a ponderous dinosaur stuck in a tar pit. No thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

Sabbath is the Nirvana of Metal...Or.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...   Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know revisisted...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next