Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?

Go down 
+50
DeathCult
Wargod
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
kmorg
Schbopo
Speedmetalfreak
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Alex Dee Rokket
Hamer12
sheets
Eyesore
Leatherface
mlotek
TrogDawn
MoonChild
Lari
Lurideath
jstate
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
Rex
Addy
adrian
Shawn Of Fire
Cognitive Dissonance
brokentulsa
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
snooloui
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
exact33
Witchfinder
metalhead777
thejokeriv
manny
krokus
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
ultmetal
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GRUNGE, is it metal?
Grunge is metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Vote_lcap45%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 30 ]
Grunge is NOT metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Vote_lcap55%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

AuthorMessage
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 5:08 am

@the great duck----sorry if I was unclear. The point I was trying to make was that there seems to be very inherent but hard to truly describe aspects of 'metal'. Metal has such a wide spectrum and you do not hear this debate going on between a band like Hammerfall and a band like Nile. But you DO hear this bebate (currently in this thread) between a band like AiC and Testament (I was using Testament as an example of a undebatable metal band). There must be a reason, to some degree, as to why these bands are being debated and not others. That's all.
To me, I really don't care what they're called--I never liked any of those bands when they first came out and didn't like the fact that they were being called 'metal' at the time. So I guess in my world, they are not metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12669

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:49 am

I am with Leo on this one. "Grunge" is more of a geographical label than a musical one. (MHO) Bands from this region had a much broader stroke of the brush music wise than say "glam" did. One could put on an unmarked record of "glam" and pretty much get the picture of what was going on. That isn't necessarily true with an unmarked "grunge" alnum.

opinion

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 am

James B. wrote:
I am with Leo on this one. "Grunge" is more of a geographical label than a musical one. (MHO) Bands from this region had a much broader stroke of the brush music wise than say "glam" did. One could put on an unmarked record of "glam" and pretty much get the picture of what was going on. That isn't necessarily true with an unmarked "grunge" alnum.

opinion

Very true Soundgarden did not sound like the Melvins, the Melvins did not sound like Mother Love Bone or Screaming Tree etc. Grunge was a label made up by people at MTV and other hipsters
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 am

manny wrote:
Grunge was a label made up by people at MTV and other hipsters
yeah & the term "metal" was agreed upon by the United Nations.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 am

mc666 wrote:
manny wrote:

Yes it was, this was part of the SALT treaties from the mid 1970's. It was agreed upon to avoid a nuclear holocaust after the genre wars among the United States and the then USSR treatned to extend the Cold War beyond the mere words.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 am

First time I ever heard the term "grunge" was when it was referenced as "grunge metal" in the late eighties. It also was bashed for being so derivative of so many other genres. Personally thats what first appealed to me about it. I still love the fact that a band like the Melvins have in their catalogue a great hardcore record and metal record. At the time I saw the whole scene being a breaking down or blending of genre. Mixing in various elements that I loved about music.

I can see both sides to this debate. And really kind of agree with all of them to an extent. I guess the older I get the more I see music as two genres - stuff I like and listen to, and stuff I don't.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3896

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 am

To me there is absolutely no way any of those grunge bands are metal! None, zip, zilch!! Its just another form of hard rock.

Keep your grunge out of my metal!!! haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

Let's all take turns pissing into the wind.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37740

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 am

S.D. wrote:

Laughing very hard Awwwww c'mon. Nothin' wrong with a good ole fashioned circle jerk thread now and again.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3896

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 am

When this whole grunge crap started on MYV's Headbanger's Ball... it was irritating. So those that THINK grunge is metal, I blame MTV for that crap!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Laughing very hard Awwwww c'mon. Nothin' wrong with a good ole fashioned circle jerk thread now and again.
unless you're in the center of the circle. Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Wank

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am

manny wrote:
mc666 wrote:
manny wrote:

Yes it was, this was part of the SALT treaties from the mid 1970's. It was agreed upon to avoid a nuclear holocaust after the genre wars among the United States and the then USSR treatned to extend the Cold War beyond the mere words.

lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 am

S.D. wrote:

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Oscar_tongue
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:19 am

Look at a band like The Melvins, or Soundgarden, or Alice In Chains...they all borrow significantly from Black Sabbath. You can hear it plainly. The simple fact of their geographic proximity got them lumped in with "grunge" (ie, any band from Seattle in the early 90s).

They're not "Metal" in the "denim & leather, horns in the air" sense...but they're certainly on the fringes.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Look at a band like The Melvins, or Soundgarden, or Alice In Chains...they all borrow significantly from Black Sabbath. You can hear it plainly. The simple fact of their geographic proximity got them lumped in with "grunge" (ie, any band from Seattle in the early 90s).

They're not "Metal" in the "denim & leather, horns in the air" sense...but they're certainly on the fringes.

Growing up in the big 80's, metal was defined under a huge umberella and it included everybody from Dokken to Venom and they even included veteran bands such as Aerosmith and AC/DC.

When Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were first signed to major labels, they were marketed as metal bands, and Nirvana even had a song given away on a free tape from Concrete Management which soley promoted metal bands.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

manny wrote:

Growing up in the big 80's, metal was defined under a huge umberella and it included everybody from Dokken to Venom and they even included veteran bands such as Aerosmith and AC/DC.

This is one of the primary reasons I dislike the term, too many bands with little in common other than power chords...all being lumped under this huge umbrella that is "metal".

Then the sub-genres started to kick in and made things even worse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Look at a band like The Melvins, or Soundgarden, or Alice In Chains...they all borrow significantly from Black Sabbath. You can hear it plainly.

Agreed. Which is why I believe Soundgarden and The Melvins have more in common with Kyuss, Sleep and other bands mining the Sabbath vein than they do Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 am

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Oscar is Grunge!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 am

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Look at a band like The Melvins, or Soundgarden, or Alice In Chains...they all borrow significantly from Black Sabbath. You can hear it plainly.

Agreed. Which is why I believe Soundgarden and The Melvins have more in common with Kyuss, Sleep and other bands mining the Sabbath vein than they do Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots.

I also agree but Pearl Jam where also influenced by classic hard rock/metal bands, you can hear that in their music, they guys (not just Pearl Jam) may have name checked Joy Divison, The Clash, X, and host of other bands, but their music tells another story IMO.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Oscar is Grunge!

But his home is made of metal !!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 am

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Oscar is Grunge!

True! Haha!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 am

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Oscar is Grunge!

True! Haha!

Thus proving my vote to be correct that grunge is indeed metal !!! headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am

S.D. wrote:

I saw this coming the minute I saw this thread......cant say I am surprised
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 am

Addy wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I saw this coming the minute I saw this thread......cant say I am surprised

Probably about as surprised as I was to see yet ANOTHER pointless "Is this metal?" thread.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
Probably about as surprised as I was to see yet ANOTHER pointless "Is this metal?" thread.

I know it.

All we have to do is check and see what the magazines and "music journalists" said at the time. That's all the evidence you need!

It makes thinking really easy when you let others do it for you.

Popular opinion = truth!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next