Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?

Go down 
+50
DeathCult
Wargod
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
kmorg
Schbopo
Speedmetalfreak
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Alex Dee Rokket
Hamer12
sheets
Eyesore
Leatherface
mlotek
TrogDawn
MoonChild
Lari
Lurideath
jstate
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
Rex
Addy
adrian
Shawn Of Fire
Cognitive Dissonance
brokentulsa
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
snooloui
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
exact33
Witchfinder
metalhead777
thejokeriv
manny
krokus
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
ultmetal
54 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GRUNGE, is it metal?
Grunge is metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Vote_lcap45%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Vote_rcap
 45% [ 30 ]
Grunge is NOT metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Vote_lcap55%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Vote_rcap
 55% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Empty
PostSubject: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:06 am

Watching the clips of Metal Evolution and they ask the question, can grunge be included as part of heavy metal? What's your opinion?

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 am

It depends. Similar to hair metal, grunge isn't a really defined genre like, say, hard rock or heavy metal, but has more to do with the looks and the location from which the bands came.
So, while Soundgarden and Alice in Chains definately are metal, most of the others, like Pearl Jam (who are more in the hard rock direction) and Nirvana (alternative rock), aren't.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 am

I agree with The Duck. To me, AIC, Soundgarden, Tad are metal. Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees aren't. I think Nirvana falls somewhere between. Songs like "Teen Spirit" are metal to me but others like "Come As You Are" aren't.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 am

I think all the grunge bands, including Nirvana, have some elements of what is considered metal, but all of them also lack some elements.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:20 am

So we need a "Grunge can be metal" button.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12660

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 am

way too subjective for my brain

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:43 am

i wouldn't say metal, but definitely hard rock. both scenes ended up borrowing heavily from one another, just as metal & hardcore do. hardcore isn't metal either.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:47 am

Rock yes, but metal of course not. They didnt have the right attitude, the sound, the look etc....nothing to do with metal imo. They even hated all those great heavy metal bands.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 am

I would say yes and maybe my idea of thinking of what metal is or isn't , is too broad, but a genre that can slide in both Bon Jovi and Cannibal Corpse, have them both labeled metal, can certainly include Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and dare I say even a band such as Nirvana (which were incidentally influenced by KISS, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin, along with their non metal roots) and even Screaming Trees more arty type of hard rock.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 am

krokus wrote:
Rock yes, but metal of course not. They didnt have the right attitude, the sound, the look etc....nothing to do with metal imo. They even hated all those great heavy metal bands.

I have no idea what the right attitude is but I know from reading interviews these guys were railing what metal had become, at least became in the mainstream presses eyes, Poison, Warrant, etc
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am

manny wrote:
I would say yes and maybe my idea of thinking of what metal is or isn't , is too broad, but a genre that can slide in both Bon Jovi and Cannibal Corpse, have them both labeled metal, can certainly include Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and dare I say even a band such as Nirvana (which were incidentally influenced by KISS, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin, along with their non metal roots) and even Screaming Trees more arty type of hard rock.
i wouldn't call Bon Jovi metal either. they would be hard rock as well imo.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

mc666 wrote:
manny wrote:

I probably wouldn't either, hell I don't even know how they were labeled metal in the first place.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 am

When AiC, Sound Garden, Nirvana, etc started getting popular, they were labeled and sold as metal with the label of Gunge Metal. As the Seattle scene evolved, the metal tag was dropped from grunge metal. Alice In Chains was the opener for the original Clash Of The Titans tour. It was considered Metal and some of the bands can still be considered Metal. Even Nirvana hired a metal guy as drummer.

So, I answered yes. I look forward to watching Sam Dunn's take on Grunge.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 am

manny wrote:
mc666 wrote:
manny wrote:

I probably wouldn't either, hell I don't even know how they were labeled metal in the first place.

Well, they were labeled pop metal back the day.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:18 am

Its a mixed bag. I think some of the heavier bands like Alice in Chains could be called metal,but not ALL grunge bands.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7621

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 am

I would say that certainly some grunge bands are metallic but others aren't. I found most of it to be boring for my tastes but some I really liked. AIC is definitely a metal band regardless of how they were marketed at the time. Pearl Jam definitely is not. Regardless, they all worshipped Kiss and TKO and wanted to be them as detailed in a recent issue of Classic Rock Magazine.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 am

I would echo that its hard rock but not metal.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I would say that certainly some grunge bands are metallic but others aren't. I found most of it to be boring for my tastes but some I really liked. AIC is definitely a metal band regardless of how they were marketed at the time. Pearl Jam definitely is not. Regardless, they all worshipped Kiss and TKO and wanted to be them as detailed in a recent issue of Classic Rock Magazine.

Pearl Jam is 70's metal/hard rock repackaged. They are a hard rock band.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12660

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:38 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Pearl Jam is 70's metal/hard rock repackaged. They are a hard rock band.

Across the board from a music perspective, most "grunge" is 70's regurgitated. Funny how "grunge" applies more to a geographic region than any type of style or substance.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37732

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 am

I would say that it isn't exactly "metal" but it has elements that appeal to a metal audience.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28522

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 pm

manny wrote:
mc666 wrote:
manny wrote:

Bon Jovi being called metal is just wrong.

I remember being really pissed off to see the scene in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (horrible movie from what I saw of it, too, BTW) and the scene where Dylan admits to "listening to metal" and the song they listened to in the flashback was "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi. Ugh! Couldn't they have got some actual metal? I know one shouldn't expect it to be something by Kreator or something, but maybe some Maiden or something that is real metal.

I've actually read stories about how people admitted they were metal fans, and got "I love Bon Jovi!" responses. There are some bands who aren't metal that I can understand why they got labeled such (some may have some metal songs, but have more songs that fall outside of the metal spectrum) but Bon Jovi never did anything even remotely close to metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Grunge isn't metal...but neither are most of the 80's hair bands that get lumped as being metal.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:59 pm

There are only two grunge bands I really like - AiC and L7 - so I'm not sure, but grunge is more closer to hard rock or maybe punk than metal. Still it was influenced by metal a lot IMO.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Like other people here, I feel Grunge is more Hard Rock, but not Metal per se, even though some of the better bands like Soundgarden and AIC had more darker and metallic elements in the earlier recordings.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:32 pm

As much as I am not a fan of the style, I'm am curious to see the Metal Evolution program on grunge. Seems most of the band members they interviewed, at least on the clips, thought they were metal.

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next