Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?

Go down 
+50
DeathCult
Wargod
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
kmorg
Schbopo
Speedmetalfreak
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Alex Dee Rokket
Hamer12
sheets
Eyesore
Leatherface
mlotek
TrogDawn
MoonChild
Lari
Lurideath
jstate
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
Rex
Addy
adrian
Shawn Of Fire
Cognitive Dissonance
brokentulsa
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
snooloui
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
exact33
Witchfinder
metalhead777
thejokeriv
manny
krokus
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
ultmetal
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

GRUNGE, is it metal?
Grunge is metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Vote_lcap45%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 30 ]
Grunge is NOT metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Vote_lcap55%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17111

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Grunge wasn't exactly solo free. Pearl Jam incorporated some hendrix style wah solos (on the first album) and even Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit had a very basic melody solo too. AIC used solos all the time as well...

True.

I must also mention that assuming someone can't play guitar solos because they never play them isn't stated as a mockery. Mortification's guitarist Michael Carlisle, who played on defining albums like "Scrolls of the Megilloth" didn't perform any solos because he concentrated on being a rhythm guitarist. Soloing wasn't his thing and I can only assume that some of the grunge rockers felt the same way,. That's not a put-down, just an assumption.

Carlisle's playing on the Martyr's Shrine album desperately needed a few solos to break up the monotony.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Most guys who can't play any solos can't play rhythm very well either.

Sure, there are exceptions, but it's a good rule.

Even Hetfield and Schaffer can play a decent, albeit basic solo when they want to.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Grunge wasn't exactly solo free. Pearl Jam incorporated some hendrix style wah solos (on the first album) and even Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit had a very basic melody solo too. AIC used solos all the time as well...

True.

I must also mention that assuming someone can't play guitar solos because they never play them isn't stated as a mockery. Mortification's guitarist Michael Carlisle, who played on defining albums like "Scrolls of the Megilloth" didn't perform any solos because he concentrated on being a rhythm guitarist. Soloing wasn't his thing and I can only assume that some of the grunge rockers felt the same way,. That's not a put-down, just an assumption.

Carlisle's playing on the Martyr's Shrine album desperately needed a few solos to break up the monotony.

Agreed. I think a lot of 90's albums suffered from the lack of solos. Biogenesis comes to mind. Morty brought in outside players to do some soloing.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17111

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Even Hetfield and Schaffer can play a decent, albeit basic solo when they want to.

Eric Peterson can throwdown some good solos too.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Eric Peterson can throw down some good solos too.

Yeah, his simple leads are good most of the time. Many people even think they are Skolnick/Murphy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I've always felt that a little too much attention is paid to guitar solos when discussing the merits of a player. I mean AC/DC has been recording since 1974 and Malcolm doesn't solo...but I've never heard anyone diss his playing because of it. He chooses to play his role and he does it exceptionally well.

He's not "less of a musician" because he doesn't play solos.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've always felt that a little too much attention is paid to guitar solos when discussing the merits of a player. I mean AC/DC has been recording since 1974 and Malcolm doesn't solo...but I've never heard anyone diss his playing because of it. He chooses to play his role and he does it exceptionally well.

humble Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 25679
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Well, writing is one skill. Playing is one skill. Showing creativity and outside-the-box thinking is another. There are different things people can excel at.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

humble Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 25679

Yup. Just look at Rudolph Schenker and Scott Ian. Two guys who might have played a total of four solos between them in their entire career, yet have a monster, distinctive tone and have immaculate timing.

I'd much rather hear a guy who has tight, flowing rhythm playing that's there for the overall song than some show-off zipping up and down the fretboard with no feel and soul, masturbating the neck of the guitar.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12669

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

There is truth in what ToB stated and also the refrence to Malcom, Rudolf, and Mr Ian.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I think grunge straddles the line between hard rock & metal just as much as '80s glam scene did. In either sub-genre, there are some bands where you could say "yes, they are metal" and others where you could say "nah, that's hard rock".

Watching Metal Evolution, I thought it was pretty funny seeing some of the journalists/musicians from the grunge scene emphatically stating grunge is not metal and metal is something they basically look down upon. Then you had the guy from the Melvins casually stating grunge is metal and that heavy metal is cool.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6353

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Necro-bump!

I could not find a better thread for this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/symphony_xs_michael_romeo_nobody_gave_a_shit_about_guitar_playing_in_the_90s_the_worse_you_played_the_better_it_was.html
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Grunge was 70's rock repackaged. Nirvana were different and I always saw them as way more punk than any other band in that scene.

Either way, not metal.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28526

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Troublezone wrote:

There are many death metal bands who don't have solos, and no one throws them to the wolves for it.

(This is far from a jab towards these bands or death metal, as most people here seem to hate death metal with a passion, and I love it.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3896

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Is Wham a punk band? Is Backstreet Boys a grind band? Hell no grunge is not metal! It took influences from metal but that don't make it so. The Metal Evolution bit on this was pure CRAP!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Both rock and metal. Grunge is of course not a music style. Like others have said, some bands leaned more toward rock, while others leaned toward metal.

Not metal?

Still true.
Back to top Go down
sharatan777
Metal novice
Metal novice
sharatan777

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 9:34 am

I care the less for Grunge, expect Pink Cream 69's album "Change' lol! crazy happy
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6353

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 am

sharatan777 wrote:
I care the less for Grunge, expect Pink Cream 69's album "Change' lol! crazy happy
And even that is the worst PC69 album!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Grunge is not metal

Kurt Cobain in an interview i heard years ago described Grunge as not metal but could appeal to a metal audience.

Come to think of it, I dont listen much to either anymore whoa!
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10