Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?

Go down 
+50
DeathCult
Wargod
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
kmorg
Schbopo
Speedmetalfreak
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Alex Dee Rokket
Hamer12
sheets
Eyesore
Leatherface
mlotek
TrogDawn
MoonChild
Lari
Lurideath
jstate
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
Rex
Addy
adrian
Shawn Of Fire
Cognitive Dissonance
brokentulsa
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
snooloui
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
exact33
Witchfinder
metalhead777
thejokeriv
manny
krokus
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
ultmetal
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GRUNGE, is it metal?
Grunge is metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Vote_lcap45%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 30 ]
Grunge is NOT metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Vote_lcap55%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I thought Alice in Chains had excellent drumming, and despite the accolades I never heard Matt Cameron from Soundgarden do anything that caught my ear.

What was/is your opinion on Dave Grohl?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 5:13 pm

manny wrote:
What was/is your opinion on Dave Grohl?

He's excellent.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I thought Alice in Chains had excellent drumming, and despite the accolades I never heard Matt Cameron from Soundgarden do anything that caught my ear.

I am not a drummer, but I thought the accolades on Matt Cameron was based on his unusual time signature on such tunes as 'Outshined' etc 7/8 or whatever its called.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12669

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 pm

The sameness of drum patterns should not matter to a "metal" fan, should it surprised

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:07 pm

James B. wrote:
The sameness of drum patterns should not matter to a "metal" fan, should it Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 685534

After reading this thread I'm not sure what matters to a "metal" fan. Some think it's the music, some think it's the attitude, some think it's the look, some think it's all of the above. And some seem to think that it's only whatever they say is "metal". Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 778825

My take is if I like it, I don't give a crap what you want to call it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:19 pm

At the end of the day, I call it music.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Either that or crap. Those are my 2 basic genres.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23211

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

i agree with you and Ken. For as long as this thread has gone on, its still all music and you either like it or you dont.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm

I put yes. I think its not quite as black and white as that though. To me its alot like the 70s, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC were both considered metal, blues, hard rock, ect while sounding very distinctly different. However they were all at one time labeled heavy metal even if certain groups of fans or even band members did not agree.

I think AiC and Soundgarden are with no doubt. I think Soundgarden is like an updated Black Sabbath.

Nirvana was certainly influenced by metal, but Cobain was influenced by alot of music, punk and new wave included. Bleach was a very sludgy album, this album certainly had a ton of metal in it.

I'm sure the same was discussed when thrash came out, people that grew up on the Sabs, Purple, ect didn't feel like Metallica was apart of their scene, just like many of you don't consider grunge and nu metal to be apart of it today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I just watched the UK Metal episode of Metal Evolution. I find it interesting that none of the "big 3" (Sabbath, Zeppelin or Deep Purple) considered themselves heavy metal. Over and over again they describe themselves as "heavy rock" or "hard rock".

They consider metal to be a by-product of their sound, one element that was grabbed and then expanded upon by bands like Judas Priest.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:51 am

James B. wrote:
The sameness of drum patterns should not matter to a "metal" fan, should it surprised

I can say the same thing about some Metal too especially Thrash not saying ALL thrash is guilty of this but to me alot of the drumming sounds the same
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 am

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

i agree with you and Ken. For as long as this thread has gone on, its still all music and you either like it or you dont.

I agree to the extent that good music prevails no matter the subgenres it supposedly belongs to, and I say supposedly because it is ultimately the fans and mediia that attribute these labels to bands.

However, metal music usually stands apart from other subgenres of rock influenced music. Romanticism is deeply rooted in metal as a whole with each sub-genre of metal choosing its own aesthetic representation. This romantic asethetic value breathes life into the metal movement and gives fans an identity, a sense of belonging and futher it provides a sense of legtimacy for one's (usually) unpopular and opposing view of the world.

This is where I feel to a metalhead there is a degree of importance to what is or can be classified as metal. Otherwise, as rightly pointed out, whether grunge is metal is moot to someone who merely appreciates the musical value behind this style.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

Quote :
I find it interesting that none of the "big 3" (Sabbath, Zeppelin or Deep Purple) considered themselves heavy metal. Over and over again they describe themselves as "heavy rock" or "hard rock".

That's because when these bands were formed, the term "Heavy Metal" did not exist as a music descriptor.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 am

James B. wrote:

I am not a drummer, I was just stating why Matt Cameron stood out to me from Soundgarden as a drummer, but no it does not matter, as long as it fits the music.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17111

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:50 am

Grunge obviously didn't use double bass or flashy solos. They're more from the Sabbath school of hard rock.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I find it interesting that none of the "big 3" (Sabbath, Zeppelin or Deep Purple) considered themselves heavy metal. Over and over again they describe themselves as "heavy rock" or "hard rock".

That's because when these bands were formed, the term "Heavy Metal" did not exist as a music descriptor.

Exactly.

And when the term "heavy metal" first started being used in the 70's, it wasn't used as a badge of honor or as a tag for a music genre, like it is now. It was a derogatory term that music journalists started using to describe heavy bands like Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin, the Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Motorhead, etc. These sorts of bands weren't "loved" but the press in the 70's. However, by the mid-70's some bands started to wear the tag proudly and fans latched onto the term as well. The tags "hard rock" and "heavy metal" were pretty much used interchangeably back then. Many of the British 70's bands that were the "first wave of British Heavy Metal" never called themselves "heavy metal" and to this day still don't call themselves such. Judas Priest were definitely one of the exceptions.

Sabbath were a "heavy blues band". They were friends with the Zeppelin guys long before Zep was formed. After Zep's first album came out, Sabbath tried to "out heavy" Zeppelin. In Iommi's new autobiography, he talks about the friendship that Sabbath and Zeppelin had, as well as their friendly rivalry. He also explains in the book how Zeppelin's heaviness was much more from the drum and bass work, than the guitar work, whereas Sabbath's heaviness came from the guitar tones.

This is why I find it amusing when heavy metal fans say that if there is any blues influence in the music it cannot be heavy metal. The very roots of heavy metal were based in heavy blues; Sabbath, Purple, Priest, Zeppelin.

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I KNOW that, my point is that even in hindsight with "Heavy Metal" being an established term for at least the past 35 years...these bands STILL don't consider themselves to be "heavy metal", it's just a piece of what they did. To call themselves just a "heavy metal band" would be too limiting and they would be selling themselves short.

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple TRANSCEND genre tags, as do the majority of the best bands in history. Don't fit inside the f*cking box...BLOW that damn thing up!

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I KNOW that, my point is that even in hindsight with "Heavy Metal" being an established term for at least the past 35 years...these bands STILL don't consider themselves to be "heavy metal", it's just a piece of what they did. To call themselves just a "heavy metal band" would be too limiting and they would be selling themselves short.

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple TRANSCEND genre tags, as do the majority of the best bands in history. Don't fit inside the f*cking box...BLOW that damn thing up!

True. That tag can be limiting, just like any other genre tag.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Grunge obviously didn't use double bass or flashy solos. They're more from the Sabbath school of hard rock.
Grunge is not something that can do anything. As established, grunge isn't even a style of music. Much like nu-metal. It's an era of music; it cannot play an instrument.

And you're wrong; plenty of band had double-bass and solos.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I don't believe I have ever heard a grunge song with double bass drumming in it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't believe I have ever heard a grunge song with double bass drumming in it.

Me neither. Guitar solos, sure. But double-bass drumming? That seems like something too "speedy" for a grunge band. I'd like to hear some.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Me neither. Guitar solos, sure. But double-bass drumming? That seems like something too "speedy" for a grunge band. I'd like to hear some.
how bout some blastbeats as well?

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Blastbeats in grunge? Surely you jest.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Of course. Don't limit genres. They can be whatever you think they are. Don't be a genre Nazi!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Here's one.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next