Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?

Go down 
+50
DeathCult
Wargod
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
kmorg
Schbopo
Speedmetalfreak
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Alex Dee Rokket
Hamer12
sheets
Eyesore
Leatherface
mlotek
TrogDawn
MoonChild
Lari
Lurideath
jstate
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
Rex
Addy
adrian
Shawn Of Fire
Cognitive Dissonance
brokentulsa
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
snooloui
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
exact33
Witchfinder
metalhead777
thejokeriv
manny
krokus
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
ultmetal
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GRUNGE, is it metal?
Grunge is metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 30 ]
Grunge is NOT metal!
Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Vote_lcap55%Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 pm

No
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:01 pm

I hate it when people say that Glam Metal is not metal. It is. It's just that a lot of bands watered down the Motley Crue, Ratt etc. style by adding a lot of AOR influence and then got lumped in with the genre.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 pm

IMO---Grunge is not metal. Although some grunge bands may have incorporated some 'metallic elements' into their music is doesn't make it Metal. Just because a band has heavier songs it doesn't change the essence of who they are as a band. For example, Elton John, Kansas, REO speedwagon (all '70's I know) had 'heavier' songs, they were just hard rock bands. (or newer bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte). AiC and Soundgarden had heavier songs/metallic elements to some of their songs. But musically, they were Grunge.

There is soemthing very essential but hard to describe about what is metal. There are lots of differing opinions regarding this subject but most people here (I would guess) would agree that Hammerfall and Nile are both 'metal'. But not so with, AiC (or other bands being discussed here) and Testament.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm

krokus wrote:
Rock yes, but metal of course not. They didnt have the right attitude, the sound, the look etc....nothing to do with metal imo. They even hated all those great heavy metal bands.
WTF does attitude and look have to do with it? And besides, I know AiC and Soundgarden were heavily influenced by Black Sabbath.

@ snoolui: Glam metal, just like grunge, is not a real genre of music. It had all kinds of bands ranging from traditional metal to '80s style power metal to hard rock to funk rock to power pop to blues-rock to AOR (AOR, hard rock and trad being the most prominent, and in most cases where the band played one of the other genres I named, they mixed it with one of these three). The only thing they all had in common were the looks.

@allthingsmetal: First of all, Testament aren't even grunge and nobody ever argued their metalness, why do you bring them up?
And second, both AiC AND Soundgarden are present on the Metal Archives, so I'm pretty sure they're metal, unlike some stuff a lot of people here'd consider metal (like Kiss or AC/DC).
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I would have to say that Grunge isn't really a genre in itself, it's more of a movement of rock/hard rock/metal bands from the Seattle area that got popular in the early 90's. They all shared that sort of darker (at least compared to glam metal) lyrical themes and image.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39980

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 4:32 pm

As already stated,the grunge bands were considered metal when it came onto the scene. Alice In Chains and Nirvana were at times my metal selection of the month through Columbia House. And as the movement grew (and my interest waned),more and more bands were signed from Seattle that would never be considered metal.Bands that were even close to playing metal were more or less ignored. I'm leaning towards Grunge not being metal.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Calling grunge metal would be like calling the Sex Pistols or the Ramones metal. I see more of a classic rock, punk, and 80s alternative sound to the grunge movement. Like metal its hard to pin down the bands though. AIC sounded nothing like Nirvana and STP sounded nothing like Pearl Jam. Nirvana was a totally different sound than soundgarden (who I might add changed their sound over the years...but then again maybe thats why we have subgeneres...If someone says they love metal they have to be specific about what type of metal they like.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 5:16 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I see more of a classic rock, punk, and 80s alternative sound to the grunge movement.

Agree with this statement.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 5:36 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
krokus wrote:
Rock yes, but metal of course not. They didnt have the right attitude, the sound, the look etc....nothing to do with metal imo. They even hated all those great heavy metal bands.
WTF does attitude and look have to do with it? And besides, I know AiC and Soundgarden were heavily influenced by Black Sabbath.

Some people (like Krokus) consider metal to be more than just a musical genre, they see it more like a lifestyle. I know Krokus is like this because he's made similar statements before.

To me, metal is just a style of music but I know it is more than that to some people. There's not right or wrong answer to this whole "Is it metal" question IMO; it all just O.
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Glam and Grunge were both mainstream and proven moneymakers. True metal is hardly ever popular with the mainstream. Same with nu-metal, I don't consider Slipknot or System of a Down "metal". To me, metal is Sabbath, Maiden, Nile, Sodom etc.Ever notice also that the popular rock genres are rarely technical or progressive in nature? Didn't grunge say that guitar solos were masterbatory noodling and that anyone could do it?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:
Glam and Grunge were both mainstream and proven moneymakers. True metal is hardly ever popular with the mainstream. Same with nu-metal, I don't consider Slipknot or System of a Down "metal". To me, metal is Sabbath, Maiden, Nile, Sodom etc.Ever notice also that the popular rock genres are rarely technical or progressive in nature? Didn't grunge say that guitar solos were masterbatory noodling and that anyone could do it?

If anyone could do it, why couldn't they do it? Razz

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm

I see Grunge as a subgenre of Metal like Hair Metal or Thrash Metal...

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:26 pm

I feel that early Soundgarden can definitely be considered heavy metal
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I don't even see grunge as an actual genre of music but if I did, I would consider it a subgenre of metal, and remember the term alternative metal was used to describe the sound of bands such as Faith No More and Jane's Addiction
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39980

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:48 pm

adrian wrote:

Agreed. Also, Alice In Chains was up to that crappy self-titled release with the 3-legged dog on the cover (that I foolishly bought brand new on the day of release).
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
STP sounded nothing like Pearl Jam. .

Actually, when STP released their first album, they were called Pearl Jam clones believe it or not!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Didn't grunge say that guitar solos were masterbatory noodling and that anyone could do it?

No, that was nu metal when they dropped the solos. Plus, I remember posts here that have called long solos "wankery" (usually referring to Yngwie, Dream Theater or any of the progressive metal bands)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 pm

adrian wrote:

Soundgarden was around before the "grunge" tag existed, they were co-opted later. I've always believed they have just as much in common with bands like Kyuss or Sleep as they do with the so-called "grunge" movement.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37740

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
STP sounded nothing like Pearl Jam. .

Actually, when STP released their first album, they were called Pearl Jam clones believe it or not!

...or "Clone Temple Pilots" Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Watching the clips of Metal Evolution and they ask the question, can grunge be included as part of heavy metal? What's your opinion?

Why do I feel like a can of worms was just opened.....

I am actually looking forward to the next segment of Metal Evolution, and yes I think Grunge can be considered metal , not straight up traditional metal. I dont consider bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains metal. I think they possess elements in their music that might appeal to a Heavy metal audience. Kurt Cobain said as much in an interview that Nirvana could appeal to a Metal audience. I think Grunge is just another branch in the tree that is Heavy Metal just like Black Metal, Thrash, Hair, Glam, Industrial, etc....

I remember when STP was compared to a Pearl Jam clone and I am glad they got out of that because they turned into one of my favorite bands. I was never a fan of Pearl Jam.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
This.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 pm

so far, 13 to 14, closer than I thought it would be.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 pm

It has some metal influence, like metalcore or some other metal hybrid, but is not pure metal. So both answers are incorrect.

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Anything that adheres to the Pop Culture isn't Metal to my ears, so No, Grunge is definitely not Metal

Some people define Metal based on the sound
Some define it by the attitude

Metal is all attitude, even if you crank up a lame GRUNGE or DEATHCORE song at 120 Decibels, a Hair Metal will sound more metal at lower volumes
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:

If anyone could do it, why couldn't they do it? Razz

Actually, AiC, Soundgarden, and Peal Jam had plenty of guitar solos (Jerry Cantrell is one hell of a soloist). I'm going to have to go with ToB on this. Grunge as a whole is niether metal nor is it not metal (though I consider the first two AiC albums metal).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?   Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge~ Can it be considered heavy metal?
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next