Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots

Go down 
+21
Svengo
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
corplhicks
SpectreFate
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
Troublezone
stormspell
Boris2008
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Dark Horseman
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Addy
thejokeriv
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
exact33
Getizzyback
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I've been a pretty big STP fan ever since Purple, (Core was pretty decent but seemed to have stuff that was a bit too derivative at the time but you could hear the potential for really great stuff). I just love the musicianship and great interplay between Robert, Dean and Eric and Weiland's vocals and great lyrics just round the whole thing out. If the rest of the guys were going to not work with Scott ever again that sucked but maybe they could continue on under a different name with maybe a bit of a different style. Obviously they didn't want to do that.

So I really wanted to pretend this STP + Chester thing didn't exist as in general I can't stand Lincoln Park. I can't stand 'em not because of their musical style, (I actually find a few of their songs interesting musically), but mostly because of the lyrics and vocal styling that seem to come off as not so much railing against the world in general or even against some horrible atrocities but mostly come off as if he were a kid screaming about being denied his allowance or having his Xbox taken away or even just sent to his room. In short I've just found them to be really juvenile and shallow and not in a good way.

I went ahead and listened to this whole thing if only to confirm my preconceived notion of this ending up as a train wreck and well..... it's not a train wreck after all. Not only does this not really suck too bad it's actually pretty decent. Are they doing anything really different musically than they've done before?, no but it's good and really contains most of what I like about them musically. I don't really even have too much to complain about as far as Chester is concerned from a vocal point of view as he seems to fit in just fine even with some obvious similarities to Weiland's style throughout this disc, overly intentional or not. From a lyric point of view however it's certainly weaker than most of STP's previous stuff, (Weiland always has been a great lyric writer), but it didn't make me cringe so I guess that's an improvement for Chester.

So I guess in the end if the lyrics improve and Chester quits being so whiny I'd be on board with him fronting the band (dear God did i just say that?).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Svengo wrote:
I've been a pretty big STP fan ever since Purple, (Core was pretty decent but seemed to have stuff that was a bit too derivative at the time but you could hear the potential for really great stuff). I just love the musicianship and great interplay between Robert, Dean and Eric and Weiland's vocals and great lyrics just round the whole thing out. If the rest of the guys were going to not work with Scott ever again that sucked but maybe they could continue on under a different name with maybe a bit of a different style. Obviously they didn't want to do that.
You mean besides Talk Show and Army of Anyone?

Quote :
So I really wanted to pretend this STP + Chester thing didn't exist as in general I can't stand Lincoln Park. I can't stand 'em not because of their musical style, (I actually find a few of their songs interesting musically), but mostly because of the lyrics and vocal styling that seem to come off as not so much railing against the world in general or even against some horrible atrocities but mostly come off as if he were a kid screaming about being denied his allowance or having his Xbox taken away or even just sent to his room. In short I've just found them to be really juvenile and shallow and not in a good way.
I think your perception is a bit off. Linkin Park's lyrics are in no way juvenile and shallow, not in any way you've described them above, at least, and no more than anything STP has ever done.

Quote :
I went ahead and listened to this whole thing if only to confirm my preconceived notion of this ending up as a train wreck and well..... it's not a train wreck after all. Not only does this not really suck too bad it's actually pretty decent. Are they doing anything really different musically than they've done before?, no but it's good and really contains most of what I like about them musically. I don't really even have too much to complain about as far as Chester is concerned from a vocal point of view as he seems to fit in just fine even with some obvious similarities to Weiland's style throughout this disc, overly intentional or not. From a lyric point of view however it's certainly weaker than most of STP's previous stuff, (Weiland always has been a great lyric writer), but it didn't make me cringe so I guess that's an improvement for Chester.

So I guess in the end if the lyrics improve and Chester quits being so whiny I'd be on board with him fronting the band (dear God did i just say that?).
Whiny? How so?

Either way, this is a great little EP. Sounds like STP, and Chester does a fantastic job.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 1:41 am

Talk Show is a killer album. I spin it regularly to this day. Army of Anyone,not so much.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
You mean besides Talk Show and Army of Anyone?
For some reason those two albums you mention didn't seem to me to truly signal the end of STP as I'd known it. Maybe it was just my hopeful thinking at the time and I guess now for some reason I don't see as much hope for reconciliation this time. It is a rock band after all so who knows Smile 

Quote :
I think your perception is a bit off. Linkin Park's lyrics are in no way juvenile and shallow, not in any way you've described them above, at least, and no more than anything STP has ever done.
I guess I can only speak to my experience and perception of LP and in this case never underestimate the power of first impressions. I remember hearing of the band years ago and really only listening to snippets of songs on the radio and by the time I was intrigued enough to actually listen to a track all the way through it ended up being I guess what would have been their first two hits off the Hybrid Theory album.
First up was the song "Crawling" with a chorus of:

Crawling in my skin
Consuming all I feel
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

Now in itself no big deal nothing to complain about here but keep in mind that at the time I really couldn't stand most of what I called "woe is me rock" that comes off to me like a kid whining  that seemed pretty popular, (Staind would be a prime example for me here). The above lyrics didn't really qualify but maybe had a hint of it so it was with a slight trepidation that I played the next hit from that album "In the End" with a chorus of:

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
And lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

After hearing this one I guess I just filed them away in my mind with the "woe is me rock" crowd and they've been there for me ever since. Over the years I'd hear a song or two from them on the radio and they seemed to still have a bit of that same lyrical vibe as before which only confirmed in my mind my first impression. Now did I not give them a fair chance?, maybe not but I suppose I've done that with more than one band I've heard.

As far as STP having material that's no more or less juvenile than any LP stuff, even when the subject matter is pretty juvenile STP have generally done it with some great lyrical style and good wordplay and frankly also I think they're much better as musicians too, (note I did say I actually find a few of LP's songs interesting musically).

None of the above is meant as some big bash on LP it's just my opinion after all and anyone is free to disagree.

Quote :
Either way, this is a great little EP. Sounds like STP, and Chester does a fantastic job.
I suppose my original reply could have been something similar like:

I like the EP pretty well and it wouldn't be too bad if Chester fronted the band from now on.

But it wouldn't have been as fun to type Smile
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:29 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Addy wrote:
Im not
You a Weiland loyalist or you just don't like the new tunes?
Both

It was Weiland's voice and lyrics that drew me mostly into STP when he got axed the appeal died for me, its like a modern day Van Halen which in my opinion is sad. Some people were loyalists of Roth, some of Hagar.

Quote :
Addy wrote:
Im not

Thanks for your valuable input.
No problem
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm

I think the new EP is very good. Especially the first three songs. Chester isn't a Weiland clone but he seems like he's singing these songs the same way Weiland would have. Hoping another EP or a full album will come next year.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Until Weiland comes back Im done with STP I still listen to them still digging "Still Remains" from their second album
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Addy wrote:
Until Weiland comes back Im done with STP I still listen to them still digging "Still Remains" from their second album
You should give it a chance. I am not a fan of Linkin Park, but the tunes I heard with the new vocalist are pretty damn good
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 am

The new EP is really good. Chester is great. Weiland is a turd.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 am

Weiland should literally get the axe.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 am

manny wrote:
Addy wrote:
You should give it a chance. I am not a fan of Linkin Park, but the tunes I heard with the new vocalist are pretty damn good
You dont remember that song they released as a free download? It was ok but It wasnt STP to me, just like GNR isnt GNR without Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 6:26 am

Eyesore wrote:
The new EP is really good. Chester is great. Weiland is a turd.
Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 499945 thats what i thnk of your comment
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
I think the new EP is very good. Especially the first three songs. Chester isn't a Weiland clone but he seems like he's singing these songs the same way Weiland would have. Hoping another EP or a full album will come next year.
Same here. I enjoy the new ep very much. I only wish it was longer.

That's what she said!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:
Same here. I enjoy the new ep very much. I only wish it was longer.

That's what she said!
Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 4:26 pm

STP continuing on with Chester...

Quote :
Stone Temple Pilots are back in the studio with Linkin Park mainman Chester Bennington.

Bassist Robert DeLeo confirmed the news on Twitter and posted a picture of himself with the vocalist, along with guitarist Dean DeLeo and drummer Eric Kratz at Homefry Studios.

He says: “It’s been a great week for writing new songs here are Homefry. New STP starting Monday. Stay tuned.”

Cool.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Yup. Cool with me. I love that little EP they did together.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 12:32 am

That is cool, I'll be checking this out. Considering I felt STP is not STP without Scott, this Chester guy sounds pretty good, I'll just call it STP 2.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 am

I dig this. Definitely the best solo track I've heard from him.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
That is cool, I'll be checking this out. Considering I felt STP is not STP without Scott, this Chester guy sounds pretty good, I'll just call it STP 2.

Apparently they've settled their law suit with Scott Weiland and can legally drop "with Chester Bennington" from their name. Chet's still with them, but now they're back to being just plain old "Stone Temple Pilots" again.

cool

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Maybe the can tour with Toddryche.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Maybe the can tour with Toddryche.

Or Quiet Riot ... or LA Guns ... or Great White ...
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:33 am

They should do a fest.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 8:08 am

"'Remember Us? 2016,' the amazing rock extravaganza coming to a fairground or dive bar near you! Admission a rock bottom "change you found in your couch" or six pack of beer, whichever is cheaper in your area."

I keed, I keed... Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Can't really blame the guys for firing Scott, Slash and Duff mentioned that he was extremely problematic to work with(I.E. doing Axl-like behavior of showing up late to shows for no good reason) in their autobiographies.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Can't really blame the guys for firing Scott, Slash and Duff mentioned that he was extremely problematic to work with(I.E. doing Axl-like behavior of showing up late to shows for no good reason) in their autobiographies.

And he hasn't learned. Apparently he was a total drunken douche to fans at a meet-and-greet the other night in Boston.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots   Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scott Weiland axed from Stone Temple Pilots
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next