Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stone Temple Pilots

Go down 
+9
shamgar75
Troublezone
chewie
Pantera
manny
Addy
MetalRob331
Metal Misfit
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Stone Temple Pilots Empty
PostSubject: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Who's a fan of this band? I got their new album in the mail yesterday... Awesome stuff! Not as many hard rock songs in the past but still amazing.

"Between the Lines" is classic STP, "Huckleberry Crumble" is pure Aerosmith worship, and I'm really enjoying "Dare If You Dare", "Cinnamon" and "Hazy Daze" too.

Definitely a better release than their last album. A fine return to form!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Moved...

LOVE this band...

What was wrong w/ Shangri-La-Dee-Da?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Who's a fan of this band? I got their new album in the mail yesterday... Awesome stuff! Not as many hard rock songs in the past but still amazing.

"Between the Lines" is classic STP, "Huckleberry Crumble" is pure Aerosmith worship, and I'm really enjoying "Dare If You Dare", "Cinnamon" and "Hazy Daze" too.

I like STP but the new album left me feeling disappointed. The first time I head "Between the Lines" I instantly thought of Nirvana's "Stay Away" the melody is almost identical. Still a great song.

After the first few STP releases I lost interest but they have some great songs here and there.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Im a total STP Fanboy this is what I wrote for my site this will be going on the next update later this month

Quote :
Almost 10 years since Shangri-La Dee Dah came out, Their Self Titled Album is a collection of 12 tracks (16 if you got the deluxe version) saying only one thing "STONE TEMPLE PILOTS is Back!" The music itself was written by the DeLeo brothers while Scott Weiland wrote the lyrics and the harmonies. I love a good harmony in my music which might explain the appeal to Weiland as a solo artist and to Stone Temple Pilots. Their first single Between The Lines reminds me sound-wise of a mix of their 2nd and 3rd albums with a twist of Beatles-esque to the mix. Its catchy and it's poppy. It was an instant favorite for this fan. The DeLeo brothers had said they had written this song with groups like Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Zombies, and The Animals in mind. Very 60s retro if you ask me, but then Weiland took the song and wrote some killer lyrics and made it sort of a twisted love song. Another one of my favorites from this album Hickory Dichotomy was best described as a Country song in a rock format. It's also very catchy this is the song that I think gets in my head the easiest and stays there. Dare If You Dare another one of my favorites, Remember what I said about Harmonies this song is a classic example of that, I just love the chorus. Cinnamon is a light hearted catchy poppy tune, One of the members of STP would even use the word Psychedelic. Me, its definitely a side of STP you don't see. Totally kicking song. Hazy Daze to me is very reminiscent of the first album in sound. Lyrically according to Wikipedia, the song is about Weiland's father First Kiss on Mars I love this song, would put it in my top 3 favorites on this album. Looking in Retrospect if you listen to this and to their release from 2001, you can almost tell that the band was not working cohesively as they could have been, Shangri La Dee Dah just seems to reek that the end was near. Its a good album mind you, but then you listen to this album and you can tell the band is in that cohesiveness again, Maybe a bit older and wiser but this album is a great return to form. With the deluxe edition this album comes with 1 bonus track Samba Nova which reminds me of Scott Weiland's solo stuff especially from the 12 Bar Blues sessions. Has a Jazzy feel to it as does the pre-order tune About a Fool which for the record I do not have. The other bonus tracks are live tracks from their Live in Chicago performance, I hope they release that as a DVD down the road that would rule. Anyways, The live tracks are Vasoline from their second album Purple and Between the Lines, and Hickory Dichotomy from this release. A Must have for ALL STP Fans
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 5:29 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

I like STP but the new album left me feeling disappointed. The first time I head "Between the Lines" I instantly thought of Nirvana's "Stay Away" the melody is almost identical. Still a great song.

After the first few STP releases I lost interest but they have some great songs here and there.

IMO they sound nothing like Nirvana, I think the best songs at least to me right now are

Between the Lines
Hickory Dichotomy
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars
Bagman
Hazy Daze

Im sure as I listen to it more other songs will rub on me, but I absolutely love this release
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm

S wrote:
Moved...

LOVE this band...

Nothing I think it is an excellent album, I like all their albums
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Im the same way but looking in retrospect it doesnt seem as cohesive as the new album does.
Back to top Go down
Pantera
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pantera

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I absolutely loved Core and Purple. I hated Tiny Music and the only reason I picked up No. 4 was because I picked it up used for $6.

Did they ever return to the Hard Rock/Metal style of the first two CD's? I have never tried listening to the two most recent CD's. I felt like they were turning into a pop music band.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Alot of people would say that No 4 was a return to the sound of their first album

Ironically it was their third album that locked me in as a fan

I feel the new album has elements of the first 2 albums
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 pm

S wrote:
Moved...

LOVE this band...

Laughing You guys are so random and inconsistent with all of that.

I just thought it was a boring album. I haven't listened to it in years but I'm remembering it being way too mellow. "Days of the Week" is awesome though.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 am

I'm a casual fan of STP but, I really like the Mighty Joe Young Demos(funky-ass stuff).
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:17 am

Addy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

IMO they sound nothing like Nirvana, I think the best songs at least to me right now are

Between the Lines
Hickory Dichotomy
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars
Bagman
Hazy Daze

Im sure as I listen to it more other songs will rub on me, but I absolutely love this release

STP sounds nothing like Nirvana, I will agree... I think you misunderstood Addy. I was saying the song Between the Lines has almost the identical melody and harmony as Nirvanas STAY AWAY.. Just that one song. Its freaky how close they are...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 am

He's not saying STP "sounds like" Nirvana...he's saying that the song "Between The Lines" reminded him of a Nirvana song...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:55 am

I respectfully disagree, though thats the first ive heard someone say that, as most of the critics and alot of the fans have and would say it has a very beatles-esque sound to it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39563

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am

I always thought Core was incredible (except for that stupid Wet My Bed or whatever it was called). They started losing me on Purple-a release I bought immediately and was very disappointed in. Tiny Music (which received a huge amount of airplay around here) was god-awful as far as I'm concerned and I haven't bothered with the band since.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 am

I like their first album "Core" a lot. It's one of the best albums of the 90's.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Core was a fantastic album for sure - my favorite of theirs by far. Just had a great sound.

Stone Temple Pilots 604261
Back to top Go down
Pantera
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pantera

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I never get tired of hearing this song...

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I like em all from Core to their newest offering

I cranked their new one all day today and i was loving it!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Pantera wrote:
I never get tired of hearing this song...

Yes! That is a great version of that song. I think I prefer it over the studio recording.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

I haven't picked up the new one yet, but I've been a fan since the first album. Gotta a little burned out for awhile back in the mid 90's, but have since come back to their all of their albums. I like the progression they've made over the years and have carved out a nice distinctive sound for themselves.

Also seen 'em live and they were very good.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, I haven't heard the new one yet, but most of my friends are texting me they don't like it.

I do hope Slash can get Scott back for a 3rd Velvet Revolver album after the STP candle burns down for a while....
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Well, I haven't heard the new one yet, but most of my friends are texting me they don't like it.

I do hope Slash can get Scott back for a 3rd Velvet Revolver album after the STP candle burns down for a while....

It wouldnt surprise me one single bit if Weiland got back together with the guys from Velvet Revolver for another album, Weiland's said that he wouldnt be surprised, he's on good terms with all the guys (not sure bout Sorum) but I know hes good with Slash, Duff, and Dave Kushner But itll be a few years as Slash is touring supporting his solo effort, Duff's joined with Jane's Addiction and theyre working on a new album and tour Not sure what Dave Kushner and Matt Sorum are doing though

As of now Weiland plans to work on his third solo album after the tour in support of the new STP album but thatll be at least a year and it could change. Plus there was talk of a autobiography from Weiland called Desperation # 5
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Quote :
It wouldnt surprise me one single bit if Weiland got back together with the guys from Velvet Revolver for another album,

I don't see that happening. I'd bet money on that Myles Kennedy guy that's singing with Slash on his solo tour now as the new front man for VR before Scott goes back. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 5:29 pm

I highly doubt that

Of course any chance of another VR album is at least a couple of years down the road as the others are doing their own thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots   Stone Temple Pilots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stone Temple Pilots
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next