Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOKKEN

Go down 
+49
brokentulsa
nevermore
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
chewie
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
Arjun_M
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
DeathCult
Mujer Serene
firestarter
arttieTHE1manparty
onrypt
bassman
James B.
speed101
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
exact33
Metallic Blaze
Rex
Tall Tyrion
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Getizzyback
MetalFRO
the sentinel
7thSaviour
stepcousin
metalken
Leatherface
Metal Misfit
7thSecond
Lari
thejokeriv
kmorg
Fat Freddy
manny
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm

I have heard it said that when someone asks a question that begins with the word "Why" the answer is almost always "money". I've found this to be true.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I finally was able to score a cheap copy of Don's solo album Up From The Ashes. Great album, but can someone refresh my memory as to why this was released as Don Dokken and not as a regular old Dokken album? It obviously sounds just like a Dokken record. Was he not on speaking terms with the rest of the band at that time?

The band had broken up at that point and they all hated each other.

Yep. That's pretty much how I always thought of it. Plus, he was the only Dokken band member there (no Mick, Jeff, Or George) and could have started the band anew as Norum had left Europe and Dee had left King Diamond (sorry, I forget who else was on this album with Don) but like ToB stated it was probably about money. Great album, though.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I seem to remember the debut Lynch Mob album coming out around the same time as the Don Dokken solo album.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:39 pm

S.D. wrote:
I seem to remember the debut Lynch Mob album coming out around the same time as the Don Dokken solo album.

Yes, they were both released in 1990.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I finally was able to score a cheap copy of Don's solo album Up From The Ashes. Great album, but can someone refresh my memory as to why this was released as Don Dokken and not as a regular old Dokken album? It obviously sounds just like a Dokken record. Was he not on speaking terms with the rest of the band at that time?

The band had broken up at that point and they all hated each other.

Yep. That's pretty much how I always thought of it. Plus, he was the only Dokken band member there (no Mick, Jeff, Or George) and could have started the band anew as Norum had left Europe and Dee had left King Diamond (sorry, I forget who else was on this album with Don) but like ToB stated it was probably about money. Great album, though.

Billy White of Watchtower and Peter Baltes of Accept was on it as well.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:23 pm

I don't know who the other guy is but damn, how did I forget about Baltes? Sentinel needs his rest. Smile
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:36 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I don't know who the other guy is but damn, how did I forget about Baltes? Sentinel needs his rest. Smile

Guitar - Billy White
Vocals - Jason  McMaster(he would later form Dangerous Toys)

Last edited by chewie on Thu May 21, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad english, LOL)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I agree with pretty much all of that.

Even the part about Shadowlife? Wow. I thought I was the only one who actually enjoyed some bits of that record. Very Happy

You forget I have defended this album for eons
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 9:01 am

Norum rips on the Don solo record. I prefer him to Lynch, and I definitely prefer Don's album to Wicked Sensation. Though WS has grown on me over the years, it is one of my biggest blind buy disappointments. I was 12 when it came out, and the ads in Metal Edge and Circus at the time showing the album cover...man, I drooled over it. A skull with swords and snakes all around it...nothing could have been cooler to me at that time. Ha. I had no idea who George Lynch was, as a dude. I knew Dokken, but not the name of the guitar player so.

When I bought the tape on release day...man, the music on it did not match my insanely high expectations based on that cover.

I enjoy it now though.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

I've never heard the Don Dokken solo record, besides a song or two, but I've always enjoyed Wicked Sensation (and the self titled follow up). Maybe I'll be able to find that solo release in the used bins one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 10:58 am

Never got into Lynch Mob much. I had their first two albums on cassette back in the day but have never upgraded them to CDs. I guess in the Don/George split I've always been Team Don. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 11:05 am

I liked the Lynch Mob ok, but I preferred Don Dokken solo, the Lynch Mob had great hooks, but just could not get into them as much as I thought I would.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 11:16 am

Lynch's solo work has never grabbed me. He has a tendency for self-cannibalization and it's backed up with a weird vibe. Fairly boring really.

Though it's superior, Don's solo album isn't perfect. But yes does Norum tear it up. That's an album I just had to learn on guitar upon first listen. And Love Finds a Fool is the best ballad Dokken never wrote.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 11:53 am

WATCHTOWER wipes the floor with both those albums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

And then some. Though it's probably silly to compare.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Not to me.

I'm not against the style that LM and DD were going for but the execution was so poor that I can't enjoy it at all. And it's just inexcusable looking at the caliber of talent that was in both bands.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 9:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Not to me.

I'm not against the style that LM and DD were going for but the execution was so poor that I can't enjoy it at all.  And it's just inexcusable looking at the caliber of talent that was in both bands.

I love the first two Lynch Mob albums, as well as Don's solo album, but those came out right when I was really getting into music so they probably resonate with me on a different level. I also like the latest few Lynch Mob albums. Don't even get me started on Smoke This. Talk about inexcusable.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 8:32 am

Quote :
Don't even get me started on Smoke This. Talk about inexcusable.

I can't believe they even reworked Dokken songs into that style for the Smoke This tour:

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:15 am

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

I can't believe they even reworked Dokken songs into that style for the Smoke This tour:

I never knew anything about this project and I'm really glad I didn't know about it at the time. What you see on stage here is downright retarded. I mean, how embarrassing! The late 90's in many respects were just a very dark period for music when I think about it, and my musical tastes go way beyond heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:27 am

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

Wow, that was bad. "Lynch Mob will make ya... JUMP! JUMP!" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:31 am

chewie wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Guitar - Billy White

Thanks, chewie. This is good. Very good headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:05 am

chewie wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Guitar - Billy White

Good stuff ! Now I have another band to hunt down !
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:24 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

Ha! I never knew they did this. I can dig that, though, trying something new. The real problem with Smoke This is not the style, it's the songs; they're terrible. I don't get hung up on names. Whatever. Give me good music and I'm cool, but Smoke This is just shit from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 4:37 pm

The samples from George Lynch's new solo album sound pretty good:

https://soundcloud.com/rat-pak-records/george-lynchs-shadow-train

It's called Shadow Train and will be released on 17 July. These songs are also set to be featured in his documentary project of the same name about the plights of Native Americans.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 8:31 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-classic-dokken-lineup-to-reunite-for-six-shows-in-japan/

It's official... the original Dokken lineup (Don, George, Jeff and Mick) will play six shows in Japan this Fall, tho there are no plans for further gigs anywhere else in the world.

...in other words, they drove a dump truck full of yen up to Don's front door. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DOKKEN - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DOKKEN
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next