Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOKKEN

Go down 
+49
brokentulsa
nevermore
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
chewie
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
Arjun_M
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
DeathCult
Mujer Serene
firestarter
arttieTHE1manparty
onrypt
bassman
James B.
speed101
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
exact33
Metallic Blaze
Rex
Tall Tyrion
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Getizzyback
MetalFRO
the sentinel
7thSaviour
stepcousin
metalken
Leatherface
Metal Misfit
7thSecond
Lari
thejokeriv
kmorg
Fat Freddy
manny
53 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 pm

I know there are other threads on Dokken, but I wanted to start a new one. Motley Crue, Poison, and Ratt get all of the glory when it comes to LA metal explosion of the 80's but none of these bands could touch Dokken in terms of playing and song writing ability.

Don Dokken is a good singer, who unlike Stephen 'Look at my sock in my pants' Pearcy or Vince 'The drunk' Neil. He knew his way around a melody, and George Lynch one of the best guitartist that era of music ever produced. Their albums such as 'Under Lock and Key' and 'Tooth n Nail' delivered the goods and also remembered to bring great tunes to the party.

Donot get me wrong I am somewhat a fan of lot of those hair bands, but IMO in terms of sheer skills these guys music had alot more substance and IMO hold up better.

I also admire the fact that on their reunion albums of the 90's, Dokken didnot try to recreate their golden era nor did they try to become Dokken in Chains, they moved forward and stayed true to themselves without becoming a parody of themselves. Maybe Dokken didnot write books like 'The Dirt' or star in their own reality show like 'Rock of Love' but when it comes to the other LA bands, no one comes close to Dokken.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:42 pm

One of my favorites of all time. I listen to them a lot. One of the few bands that had integrity in the 80's.

Quote :
Dokken didnot try to recreate their golden era

See: Lightning Strikes Again

Quote :
Dokken in Chains

Shadowlife anyone?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:49 pm

In short:

Dokken - me likey. Fave albums: UNDER LOCK AND KEY, BACK FOR THE ATTACK, DYSFUNCTIONAL, ONE LIVE NIGHT. ERASE THE SLATE ain't bad neither.

They have the unique distinction of being the first band I ever saw live, as they were the opening act at my first ever concert (Judas Priest's "TURBO" tour in '86).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Dokken were successful enough to have the theme melody for a Nightmare on Elm Street movie (number 3, right?). And the Don Dokken solo band was even featured in the Tommy Chong movie, Far Out Man.

I've always loved Dokken, but they do have a broken catalogue, imho. Under Lock and Key is my favorite, and I can still remember the day I first heard it at my cousins house. She also introduced me to Jerusale, Leviticus, Daniel Band and Whitecorss. But Dokken was the only secular band from that era in my musical upbringing.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
One of my favorites of all time. I listen to them a lot. One of the few bands that had integrity in the 80's.

Quote :
Dokken didnot try to recreate their golden era

See: Lightning Strikes Again

Quote :
Dokken in Chains

Shadowlife anyone?

Never heard 'Lighting Strikes Again' so Spec I take you on your word that Mr Dokken was trying for a sound like his glory days, while I do admit their is strong modern rock influence on 'Shadow Life' (Dokken claims it was Kelly Grey (producer) and Pilson/Lynch's Idea) IMHO it is still solid album and again Dokken remembered to bring good songs to the party not a desperate attempt to remain hip, for an example of that see Motley Crue's 'Generation Swine'
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Lighting Strikes Again could be the album after Back For The Attack and it'd be a natural progression.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:55 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Lighting Strikes Again could be the album after Back For The Attack and it'd be a natural progression.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

Agreed.

Spec and Nazgul is 'Lighting Strikes Again' a CD worth investing in?
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 pm

I think so. Levin manages to make it sound like a Dokken record without rehashing Lynch's riffs.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Oh crikey yes! It's great, IMO.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 pm

I will have to pick that one up!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Dokken are awesome, but I only have Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. Of those, I guess Lock and Key is my favourite.

I really love Lynch's playing, among my favourite heavy metal guitarists for sure.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Lari wrote:
Dokken are awesome, but I only have Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. Of those, I guess Lock and Key is my favourite.

I really love Lynch's playing, among my favourite heavy metal guitarists for sure.

You have the mandatory albums. To be honest, you may be disappointed with all the others after hearing those 3.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I think so. Levin manages to make it sound like a Dokken record without rehashing Lynch's riffs.

I dunno about that. On both HELL TO PAY (or as it's been called, HELL TOUPEE, haha) and the new one, I get a mental picture of Don beating Jon Levin with a stick in the studio going "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like George Lynch!!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
No. That distinction would belong to Up From the Ashes. Lightning Strikes Again is not near as good an album. Definitely not good enough to be the follow up to Back For the Attack. Well maybe the one song Heart to Stone.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Bland band.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Lari wrote:

You have the mandatory albums. To be honest, you may be disappointed with all the others after hearing those 3.

I like Breaking The Chains, or at least I remember liking it...haven't heard it in ages. I never heard any of the albums post-Back For The Attack.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Don Dokken is going to playing a club in my hometown sometime later this year. Not sure if I'll go, but might if some friends ask me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 pm

manny wrote:
I know there are other threads on Dokken, but I wanted to start a new one. Motley Crue, Poison, and Ratt get all of the glory when it comes to LA metal explosion of the 80's but none of these bands could touch Dokken in terms of playing and song writing ability.

It's completely unfair to Dokken to be put into the same category as those bands. Comparing Dokken to Motley Crue is like comparing a Porsche to a 1976 Ford Pinto.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:00 am

Loved the first few Dokken releases up until the double live album. Talented band with great songs. That said, I always thought that Don himself was the weakest member as far as talent went.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Lari wrote:

I agree, although Breakin' The Chains is pretty cool. Dokken were actually playing long before all of the other hair bands of the 80's with the possible exception of Quiet Riot but they were off in Japan at the turn of the decade(79-80).
My fave is Tooth 'N' Nail, with Lock 'N' Key a close second.
Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am

Quote :
My fave is Tooth 'N' Nail, with Lock 'N' Key a close second.

I wish T&N had a better production. The production on UL&K makes that my favorite. That album sounds great, while T&N sounds muddy through most of it and thin in other parts. I'd like to see Don remix T&N, although I feel if he had the opportunity, he'd lower all the levels on George's guitarwork. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:32 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I'd like to see Don remix T&N, although I feel if he had the opportunity, he'd lower all the levels on George's guitarwork. Smile

... or he'd erase George's tracks entirely and replace them with Jon Levin's playing Laughing

Back to top Go down

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Quote :

TheNazgul wrote:
No. That distinction would belong to Up From the Ashes. Lightning Strikes Again is not near as good an album. Definitely not good enough to be the follow up to Back For the Attack. Well maybe the one song Heart to Stone.

Well since that was the next album after BFTA it'd make sense. I don't count that as it's a Don solo album.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

DOKKEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:00 pm

BACK FOR THE ATTACK 10/10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DOKKEN Empty