Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken- Hell To Pay

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Dokken- Hell To Pay Empty
PostSubject: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Just got this album in the mail today. I must say I am extremely impressed by this work, after hearing very mixed reviews. A lot of the songs are quickly becoming some of my favorite Dokken songs.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 2:11 pm

I have yet to hear this one. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Great album! Not as good as Erase The Slate, which was awesome, but it's a solid album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:05 pm

I agree. Erase The Slate was awesome! Now I just need Dysfunctional and Long Way Home... and whatever their first album was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:13 pm

GlassPrison wrote:
I agree. Erase The Slate was awesome! Now I just need Dysfunctional and Long Way Home... and whatever their first album was.
Both good albums. Dysfunctional is very underrated. The only bad Dokken album is Shadowlife. And I mean bad! That album is horrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm

I haven't heard Shadowlife. How is Don's solo album?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 8:58 pm

I like "Up from the Ashes" album, but I am a big Peter Baltes fan. I was also very surprised how good Hell to Pay is. I still think Don has a weak voice for metal. Itt's a good voice, just never sounded all that powerful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:25 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
I like "Up from the Ashes" album, but I am a big Peter Baltes fan. I was also very surprised how good Hell to Pay is. I still think Don has a weak voice for metal. Itt's a good voice, just never sounded all that powerful.
Well, Dokken's not a metal band. =) And yeah, Up From The Ashes is really good. His upcoming solo album isn't going to be like that at all, though. The clips are all mellow acoustic numbers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm

I still think Don has a weak voice for "MELODIC HARD ROCK". It's a good voice, just never sounded all that powerful.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 10:08 pm

I've seen Dokken four times. Three of the four, Don was TERRIBLE. Off
keys, flat, cracking. My wife, who isn't really a metal fan, was
cringing and asked me who this guy was. LOL! He didn't move either. I
swore his feet were stapled to the stage.

Then I saw them open for Whitesnake and they were great! Don was energetic and his voice sounded great. Go figure.

But that has nothing to do with this thread. Just thought I'd share that bit of useless information.

BTW, Dokken were most certainly heavy metal when they started out. No doubt about it. Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Everything up to Back For the Attack was awesome. I didn't like Dysfunctional and have yet to hear anything else since that release
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:34 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I still think Don has a weak voice for "MELODIC HARD ROCK". It's a good voice, just never sounded all that powerful.
Did they get the right singer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V95MNQ7xLrY
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:52 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
i agree 100%... he had a nice voice. just never powerful enough to be commanding!

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 8:42 am

Quote :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V95MNQ7xLrY
That was cool!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:38 am

I think smoking is catching up with Don's voice. I have a bootleg from the 2004 Hell To Pay tour, and he sounds fine on it for the most part. He sings some parts in a lower octave and the higher register vibrato style that is his trademark is less common. I will be seeing them at Rocklahoma in July. They are the second to last band on the second night. I'll give a full report of the festival and Dokken's performance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:39 am

I'm also looking forward to the new Dokken album "Lightning Strikes Again" which should be out sometime this year. That was a killer song on Under Lock and Key. Hopefully they keep with the metal vibe of that song and make a great new album.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 am

Holy smokes that was an incredible rendition of Just Got Lucky! Ive always thought Pilson was a great singer and a key ingredient to that band.

What is up with Dons hair in that video?.........chick bangs?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm

zombiewalkin wrote:
Holy smokes that was an incredible rendition of Just Got Lucky! Ive always thought Pilson was a great singer and a key ingredient to that band.

What is up with Dons hair in that video?.........chick bangs?
Have you never heard that live CD? It's really good. Similar to Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam, though not as timeless.

Pilson has a killer voice. Check out the War & Peace thread I started the other day. I linked some songs there, they should still be valid. Pilson's voice is outstanding. And you can hear how much his voice was on Dokken albums. It's similar to Jerry Cantrell and Alice In Chains. Everyone thinks Layne was the prominent singer, but it was pretty much 50/50. Definitely check out War & Peace, especially Jeff's cover of "Walk Away."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dokken- Hell To Pay   Dokken- Hell To Pay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken- Hell To Pay
Page 1 of 1