Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!

Go down 
+30
rattpoison
Required Fields
Addy
journeyman
Mattallica667
SuprimuS
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
Schbopo
DallasBlack
kmorg
INVADERS
King D
Chairman_Smith
nevermore
Lurideath
skullsmasher
A Handful of Wayne
TheGooch
Smindas
XYZ
James B.
ultmetal
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
mc666
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Here's another one I thought of today... anyone remember when Earache Records (home of Napalm Death, Carcass, etc.) was briefly distributed by Sony/Columbia here in the States? Whose idea was that? I've read many stories about suits from the major label dropping in on the recording sessions for various Earache artists during that period and they'd just scratch their heads like "WTF is this?" The most famous story is that one guy from Sony suggested to Carcass that Jeff Walker "take vocal lessons." Did anyone from Sony even LISTEN to any of Earache's bands before they decided to take the label under their wing? Weird.

That is a funny story as I recall the relationship didnot last to long, I am sure it ended as soon as the A & R guy walked out of the studio and put a phone call to company president asking ' What the F@#k where we thinking?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 am

mc666 wrote:
Fear Emptiness Despair, Heartwork, & Wolverine Blues are still kickass albums.

Oh yea, no denyin' that, but I still wonder what the heck Sony was thinking when they signed up those bands. If they thought they were gonna score a Metallica "Black Album" style thrash phenomenon with any of them they were definitely barkin' up the wrong tree.

...Oh, and don't forget Cathedral's THE ETHEREAL MIRROR, which was also released under the Columbia deal! Great album!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 9:09 am

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Here's another one I thought of today... anyone remember when Earache Records (home of Napalm Death, Carcass, etc.) was briefly distributed by Sony/Columbia here in the States? Whose idea was that? I've read many stories about suits from the major label dropping in on the recording sessions for various Earache artists during that period and they'd just scratch their heads like "WTF is this?" The most famous story is that one guy from Sony suggested to Carcass that Jeff Walker "take vocal lessons." Did anyone from Sony even LISTEN to any of Earache's bands before they decided to take the label under their wing? Weird.
Fear Emptiness Despair, Heartwork, & Wolverine Blues are still kickass albums.
Wolverine Blues... wow, that is an album I haven't heard for years and that was before I was in to anything that "heavy" (I must've been 13 and only just a fan of Slayer). I really need to give Entombed a re-listen.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:04 am

Slipknot wearing those stupid costumes
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 am

While I actually like this album, I think that Celtic Frost releasing "Cold Lake" was a big mistake for them. It brought them to a crashing hault, even though "Vanity/Nemesis" is a fantastic album as well. Their fan base wanted that dark, epic, heavy stuff that they had been putting out and that they had promised to continue releasing. "Cold Lake" was a bit of a shock.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 am

MetalRob331 wrote:

I dunno 'bout that being a bad idea... it seems to have worked out pretty well for'em wouldn't you say?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 am

Entombed " Wolverine Blues' I bought that album on CD this summer and I love it. You should give it another spin Smindas
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I dunno 'bout that being a bad idea... it seems to have worked out pretty well for'em wouldn't you say?

Yea it has I believe every album they have released has gone platinum or close to it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 am

ultmetal wrote:
While I actually like this album, I think that Celtic Frost releasing "Cold Lake" was a big mistake for them. It brought them to a crashing hault, even though "Vanity/Nemesis" is a fantastic album as well. Their fan base wanted that dark, epic, heavy stuff that they had been putting out and that they had promised to continue releasing. "Cold Lake" was a bit of a shock.
it wasn't so much the music with Cold Lake. it was the image they used to present it. man did that go down horribly.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 am

mc666 wrote:

it wasn't so much the music with Cold Lake. it was the image they used to present it. man did that go down horribly.

Nuff Said.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

It's about what it did to the metal public in general. You go to these metal shows and all you see is people wearing these masks and jail outfits. Look at the bands afterwards that tried it as well.

I also don't believe those outfits and masks are what made them sell cds. Just my opinion..
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:57 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

It's about what it did to the metal public in general. You go to these metal shows and all you see is people wearing these masks and jail outfits. Look at the bands afterwards that tried it as well.

I also don't believe those outfits and masks are what made them sell cds. Just my opinion..

I agree with that, it is the music that sold so many CD's
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 am

manny wrote:

I agree with that, it is the music that sold so many CD's

True, but it was the funky outfits that made so many kids take notice and go "Whoa! WTF is this?" before they even heard a note of their music. Hey, it worked for KISS back in the day too.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am

Manowar releasing Fighting The World. While I enjoy this album, I understand after their "death to false metal" mantra, releasing a radio friendly metal album pissed a lot of people off.

The Showdown dropping the southern metal sound in favor of metalcore-like thrash.

Def Leppard denying that they were ever metal.

Pantera cutting out melody and clean vocals (while not the best singer ever, Phil Anselmo's singing voice was pretty darn good). After I got Reinventing The Steel, I listened to it once and gave up on it.

While I enjoyed them at Gigantour, Fear Factory re-uniting without Dino is not quite Fear Factory (he created the band with Raymond Herrera, after all).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Manowar releasing Fighting The World. While I enjoy this album, I understand after their "death to false metal" mantra, releasing a radio friendly metal album pissed a lot of people off.

I'd say Manowar releasing GODS OF WAR was an even bigger F-up. Laughing

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 am

I'd say looking like cast rejects of Beastmaster was even a bigger F-up
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:46 am

DallasBlack wrote:
wasn't that a benefit to heavy metal?

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:45 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

Lots of bands wear stupid costumes.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:47 pm

mc666 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
wasn't that a benefit to heavy metal?

Depends on who you ask.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Schbopo wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

but did it start a cult of 15 year old teenagers Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:27 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

You've obviously never been to a KISS convention!

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

You've obviously never been to a KISS convention!

I think KISS is for a more older mature crowd. I never been to a KISS convention as I'm not a KISS fan. Slipknot seems to only affect the younger generation and make them believe that they're the only "METAL" band that matters
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

I think KISS is for a more older mature crowd.

Today's "mature older crowd" was yesterday's "younger generation" y'know. Laughing

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I think KISS is for a more older mature crowd.

Today's "mature older crowd" was yesterday's "younger generation" y'know. Laughing

Yes, I agree. It's just that Slipknots music seems to create this buzz that they're the best thing that ever happened to music.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:46 pm

You obviously just hate Slipknot. Laughing

And by the way, trust me, as someone who has attended his share of KISS Conventions/Expos, "mature" is not exactly a word I would use to describe most of the attendees. You haven't lived till you've been in a gymnasium full of balding, beer bellied 40 year olds walking around in ill fitting homemade Gene Simmons costumes and badly applied makeup, carrying cardboard axe-bass guitars!! Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next