Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and worst era of metal?

Go down 
+40
TheUnborn
Thrasher73
Required Fields
mikeinfla
Gilbert
sovdat
Hadley
Runicen
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
mc666
Laplander
Sword Of The Heretic
chewie
DallasBlack
ze_mau
Vexer6
ultmetal
Mglaffas81
manny
corplhicks
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
AutumnShantel
TheGreatDuck
Lovecraft
Glower
Temple of Blood
Lari
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Short-Fuse
MetalGuy71
BearOnUnicycle
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
joe_metal
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
joe_metal
Metal novice
Metal novice
joe_metal

Number of posts : 11

Best and worst era of metal? Empty
PostSubject: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am

In my opinion:
'70s - the classical age of metal, not many metal bands, but it had Sabbath, the greatest metal innovators in history, and for them alone, it's why I respect this era
'80s - the dark ages of metal: everyone looked like dragqueens, had cheesy and childish videos and lyrics, and were all around just embarrassing for metal. Everyone seems to have been obsessed with just shredding as fast as they could (Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai...), while their songs lacked any real depth and soul; tons of generic bands whom you can't differentiate from one another if your life depended on it, "metal" bands that were basically just pop with guitars (Bon Jovi, WASP, Twisted Sister, Skid Row...), mysoginy and sexism in the lyrics, hell even the masters Black Sabbath got that Dio guy and basically became just another generic '80s metal band, losing everything that made them so great in the '70s; everyone seems to also have had those annoying screaming vocals
basically, the '80s metal can be divided into three categories: cheesy pop-"metal" for 12 year old girls, wannabe-tough satanic crap for 12 year olds and cheesy fantasy dungeons and dragons bands.
Thankfully, then came...
'90s and on - the rennaissance of metal:
After a terrible decade for music that was the '80s, a refreshing wave of young revolutionary bands came out and restored metal to its former glory; while Nirvana and the rest of the grunge movement did us all a favor and wiped out all the crappy hair metal shit for good, bands such as Faith No More, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Whtie Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Machine Head, Morbid Angel, Cynic, Mayhem, Death, Atheist, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Korn, Rammstein, Meshuggah and Opeth, just to name a few, infused the genre with new energy and successfully brought it back, giving us tons of great music; later on, other great bands such as Animals as Leaders, As I Lay Dying, Dillinger Escape plan arrived to continue the work of these bands. Unfortunately, this era is also plagued by cheesy d 'n' d power metal (Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica) and masturbatory prog metal (like Dream Theater and their clones), but fortunately, it's by far outweighted by the good stuff

What's your opinion?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 am

Personally, I think Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Rammstein and Marylin Manson suck. And though I can respect the musicianship, I can't get into As I Lay Dying or Dillinger Escape Plan. I do like White Chapel, Meshuggah, Born Of Osiris and a little Winds Of Plague, though. I love Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Opeth, & Death too.

The 80s had much better stuff than what you listed. Helstar, Watchtower, Metal Church, Accept, Agent Steel, Abbatoir, Trouble, Candlemass, Armored Saint, Chastain, Jag Panzer, Lizzy Borden, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Sanctuary, Riot, Slayer...many more. You just had to know where to look.

And Black Sabbath w/ Dio is some of the greatest Heavy Metal ever made.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:37 am

Quote :
80s metal can be divided into three categories: cheesy pop-"metal" for 12 year old girls, wannabe-tough satanic crap for 12 year olds and cheesy fantasy dungeons and dragons bands.

Best and worst era of metal? Screwy

I like him. He's silly.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:06 am

Says the 24 year old! That means you were born in 89 or 90, so you didn't experience the 80s in the 80s. As your title says, you are a novice, so you will be forgiven...for now.

My answer to this question has always been - NOW - the best time for metal is NOW. I've loved every step of the journey. Always something new and interesting, and as cycles go, old becomes new again, which I think is happening right now.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:10 am

Eh, there is 86-93 - aka the prog power brilliance era, and all the other stuff.
In all seriousness though - too much hate. Every genre in all its incarnations over time has a number of great bands and a ton of mediocre ones. You're way too tunnel visioned.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 am

I used to think the later 90's were pretty grim. Until the 2000's. Then I looked back at all the good stuff that came out around that time and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. Hindsight being 20-20 and all that. Metal just became less-mainstream and you had to look a little harder, but it was still there, strong as ever.

I have fond memories of the late 80's and early 90's because that's where it hit me hardest. Was it the "best" era? Eh, maybe to me it was, but someone that's much younger and ignorant naive may not see it that way.

Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

There's great stuff from ALL era's:
70's had Sabbath, Scorpions, Priest etc.
80's had Trouble, Metallica, Sodom,Loudness etc.
90's had Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Psychotic Waltz
00's had Opeth, Into Eternity, Sigh
10's has Vektor, Toxic Holocaust, Desultor
All eras have had fantastic music !
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 am

There's gold to be found in all eras of music. I also thought that the imagery of metal got too cheesy in the '80s, even bands that I loved like Celtic Frost and I even think that Dio getting dressed up like some warrior dwarf posing with an inflatable dragon took away from the fact that he was a breathtaking performer. The '80s was a weird time and all of the fantasy, sexist stuff looks worse now than it did back then.

A lot of the great 90's bands that you have listed didn't do a great deal for me though (I do really like Marilyn Manson though) and most of the ones that I did like actually did the stuff I liked best in the dreaded '80s (Faith No More, Death, Mayhem)

By the way, how can you criticize 'wannabe-tough satanic crap' and then list Mayhem as a favorite?  

lol!

and yes, no band did more to destroy that cheesy hair metal imagery than Pantera.

Best and worst era of metal? Pantera

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am

78-93 was the golden age. Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 am

70's was a great time. Aside from the big three (Led Zep, Purple, Sabbath) there were BöC, Heep, UFO, Van Halen, Priest and all those influential NWOBHM bands that laid the groundwork

80's was probably the golden era. Thrash metal, glam metal, classic metal, NWOBHM were all popular and also a TON of smaller bands got to release records. Fantastic musicianship was the norm.

90's was the dark ages. Grunge and alternative metal, nu-metal, true black metal and hardcore. It was angrier, but also less musical. Metal lost it's foothold and became marginal once again. Power metal broke out in Europe and kind of kept the flame alive.

00's (noughties?) was a big improvement. Not really gaining popularity, but once the rap metal scene died out, there was the NWOAHM and a lot of the older bands that got shunned in the 90's got popular once again.

Too early to decide what the 'teens' will be like.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:05 am

Witchfinder wrote:
78-93 was the golden age.  Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal. has a different opinion to me

fixed that for you.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:18 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
78-93 was the golden age.  Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal. has a different opinion to me

fixed that for you.  Very Happy 

Welcome to the internet - my comment was addressed to the original poster. Also, Onslaught without Grimmett still sucks - boom!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am

Best: 80s
Worst: now
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Really?  Shocked 

I think now is great! You have to dig a little but there has been some amazing albums in the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really?  Shocked 

I think now is great! You have to dig a little but there has been some amazing albums in the last few years.

I agree with this. There seems to have been quite a reemergence/resurgence of the type of Metal I like in the last 5 or so years.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
78-93 was the golden age.  Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal.

I agree with this. Maybe because I was there and nostalgia kicks in, but being a teenager through most of that era was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm

The 80's ! Specifically - 1984 -
The recording studios were perfect -
no one dressed like that before - leather - chains - lp artwork -
concerts all the time -
and was a scene that emerged - and exploded like a fireworks display -
never to be recaptured again -
todays metal doesn't sound so hot -
as if each instrument was recorded in a different city -
thats my main beef - the sound quality -
also - youtube has taken the magic out of the curiousity of metal -
it's all examined now - as if it has a adjenda -
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
78-93 was the golden age.  Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal.

Or possibly they just have a different perspective? I became a teenager in 1974 and my choice for golden era would be 1970 to 1984, because that's the style of heavy metal that I first discovered and fell in love with.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really?  Shocked

"Worst" doesn't always necessarily equal "bad". Very Happy

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I agree with this. Maybe because I was there and nostalgia kicks in, but being a teenager through most of that era was awesome.

I was born only a year after this era ended and I also completely agree with this (well, not the being a teenager in that era being awesome part, although I believe it was awesome; there's a lot of us youngsters who envy you guys and wish we were born some 30-40 years earlier or so).

Lovecraft wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
78-93 was the golden age. Anybody that says differently is either trolling, a contrarian or hasn't listened to much Metal.

Or possibly they just have a different perspective? I became a teenager in 1974 and my choice for golden era would be 1970 to 1984, because that's the style of heavy metal that I first discovered and fell in love with.

To be fair, there was only a handful of metal bands before NWOBHM took off, plus a number of metal-ish songs by otherwise non-metal groups; even though, both eras are equal quality-wise IMHO (especially if you expand it outside metal).

Last edited by TheGreatDuck on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Lovecraft wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Or possibly they just have a different perspective?  I became a teenager in 1974 and my choice for golden era would be 1970 to 1984, because that's the style of heavy metal that I first discovered and fell in love with.  

Sure. It's all a matter of perspective. I enjoy bands from 68-today. 78-93 just represents the peak of metal's creativity to me.
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I think the 80's is my favorite and my least favorite. Some of the cheesy stuff literally makes me nauseous, but it seems all my favorite bands were from (or still making music in) the 80's. Not everything about the 80's was about neon colored instruments or slaying dragons... not that there's even anything wrong with that.

Oh and 70's is a very close second for me.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really?  Shocked 

Yes. Absolutely.

Quote :

Name 'em.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:39 pm

AutumnShantel wrote:
I think the 80's is my favorite and my least favorite. Some of the cheesy stuff literally makes me nauseous, but it seems all my favorite bands were from (or still making music in) the 80's. Not everything about the 80's was about neon colored instruments or slaying dragons... not that there's even anything wrong with that.

Oh and 70's is a very close second for me.

This sums my perspective, as well.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:47 pm

It's easy to look back in retrospect and miss a lot of what was actually happening.  For some of us, music was way more than just tossing some format in a player and listening.  It was fun regardless of flavor and/or image.  For example in 1985, one could hit a show on The Strip wearing a Venom shirt and watch some glam band and the very next day drive up north and catch Death Angel while wearing a Ruby Slippers shirt in The City.  Playing in bands and hitting various club circuits around the country gives a totally different perspective to what was represented in the mainstream, as well as the underground. Believe it or not, the underground had an underground.  Way too many people look back and dismiss L.A as just the "hair metal" (hate that term) land of androgynous non talent hacks.  But forget that bands like Metallica, Slayer, Dark Angel, Cirith Ungol, Hirax, Armored Saint, and on and on and on were also from there.  I could pick just about any other city in the US and say the same thing.
   To the original poster, your opinion holds no more weight than mine.  But if you dismiss bands due to image or lyrical content, your missing out on a lot of great stuff.  I encourage you (if you don't already) to hit the local music scene around where you live and check out everything.  One thing that I dig is seeing young musicians out playing what they feel drives them. I love blues but when was the last time I went and seen teens or twenty somethings playing blues in a club ? Never.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really?  Shocked 

Yes.  Absolutely.

Quote :

Name 'em.

What just so that you can rubbish them? No thanks, can't be bothered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and worst era of metal?
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next