Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!

Go down 
+30
rattpoison
Required Fields
Addy
journeyman
Mattallica667
SuprimuS
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
Schbopo
DallasBlack
kmorg
INVADERS
King D
Chairman_Smith
nevermore
Lurideath
skullsmasher
A Handful of Wayne
TheGooch
Smindas
XYZ
James B.
ultmetal
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
mc666
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Quote :
Black Sabbath hiring Ice T to produce " Forbidden".

I agree, although it wasn't Ice T, it was Ernie C that produced it. Ice T did a guest appearance. The album was horrible!

Judas Priest writing and recording Nostradamus.

Anthrax continuing as a band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I read that book. Good read. I've included tid bits of it on my Kiss pages on NTLM. If you click on the album covers, it brings up facts about each album and some quotes from that book.

Still think it was a mistake to hire Vini no matter what the reason was behind it. I remember reading somewhere that they hired Vini to appease Peter Criss who was wanting to leave the band as it was.

Another:
The death of Twisted Sister!
Twisted Sister never should have started following trends. They should have stayed the course and put out an album that was heavy as steel as the follow-up to Stay Hungry. Instead they went for the trend in pop metal and didn't last much longer. Choosing "Leader of the Pack" as the first single off that album was also a big mistake. It was a fun song in their early days, but to record it again, was not such a good idea.

Then again, forcing the band to record Dee's solo album and releasing it as a Twisted Sister record positively killed the band. "Love is For Suckers" isn't terrible, but if it had been released as a Dee Snider solo album, it might have given the band a chance to heal, rather than festering and ultimately destroying the band.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Skid Row continuing without Baz
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
the Misfits reforming & using the name without Danzig.
Pffft! American Psycho is the best Misfits album, so I have no issues with that.
i don 't have a problem with the music, or even Micheal Graves. it just isn't the Misfits to me without the mighty midget. i just wish they had called it something else.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Anthrax covering Bring The Noize

Superjoint Ritual releasing cds
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I thought Anthrax covering " Bring the Noize was very cool, they had no idea that ten plus years what that would spawn.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:25 pm

manny wrote:
I thought Anthrax covering " Bring the Noize was very cool, they had no idea that ten plus years what that would spawn.

That's why I posted that. lol!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Yeah it spawned a bunch of GARBAGE!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 5:22 pm

Nils Norberg quitting Nocturnal Rites
Stefan Elmgren quitting Hammerfall
Pantera disbanding
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:59 pm

If rap rock had continued in the vein of Bring The Noise thats different, but i've yet to hear a band that has made a rap-rock song that good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
metallica hiring bob rock

I wonder though, would Metallica be as big as they are if it wasn't for the black album? I mean, they would probably toiling in the same small clubs that Anthrax play to had it not been for the huge commercial success of that album.

I don't think you can directly attribute Bob Rock to that. Metallica was already playing arenas by the time And Justice For All came out and had the largest "cult" following around...an army of drones wearing Pushead t-shirts (I was one) and willing to purchase ANYTHING they were involved with. So the momentum was already with them, I think any album they released after Justice would have sold extremely well. They might not have broken out quite as far as they did with the Black album, but my guess is they would have one of those long sustaining careers.
Back to top Go down
King D
Metal novice
Metal novice
King D

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

I agree about Anthrax recording "bring the Noise", just because of the horrible genre it spawned. But the worst thing they did, I think, was firing Joey Belladonna. Not necessarily the act itself, but the rotten way they did it and the stupid reasons behind it. I mean, first they didn't speak to the guy for the whole day (I guess they were at the Grammys or something like that on the day they fired him; my memory's fuzzy on that one), and then made the manager of the band leave a message on his answering machine telling him he was booted! Now, I bet many bands do the last part, but the not speaking to him part? That reaks of immaturity.

. I lost a lot of my respect for them after that. And then of course, they created... well... everything they created afterwards. It was like a cheap attempt at following Metallica's lead, and it seemed insanely weak to me.

If you're part of the creation of a genre, you should be a LEADER, not a FOLLOWER.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 am

King D wrote:
I agree about Anthrax recording "bring the Noise", just because of the horrible genre it spawned. But the worst thing they did, I think, was firing Joey Belladonna. Not necessarily the act itself, but the rotten way they did it and the stupid reasons behind it. I mean, first they didn't speak to the guy for the whole day (I guess they were at the Grammys or something like that on the day they fired him; my memory's fuzzy on that one), and then made the manager of the band leave a message on his answering machine telling him he was booted! Now, I bet many bands do the last part, but the not speaking to him part? That reaks of immaturity.

. I lost a lot of my respect for them after that. And then of course, they created... well... everything they created afterwards. It was like a cheap attempt at following Metallica's lead, and it seemed insanely weak to me.

If you're part of the creation of a genre, you should be a LEADER, not a FOLLOWER.

I think everything created after is more like Pantera then Metallica.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 am

Judas Priest recording Turbo & Demoltion.
Everything Black Sabbath recorded after 1983.
Megadeth recording Risk.
Metallica releasing St Anger and Some Kind of Monster DVD.
Chris Barnes leaving/getting fired from Cannibal Corpse, although Corpsegrinder is excellent in that band too.
Queen touring as Queen without Freddie Mercury. They should have just started a new band instead of cashing in on the band's legacy. Also, The Comos Rocks sucks balls.

I agree with Ult on the Thin Lizzy situ. I saw "Thin Lizzy" a few weeks back in Wales at Hard Rock Hell and they we awesome. Scott Gorham and John Sykesn sounded amazing and Tommy Aldridge was excellent. One hell of a drummer for being nearly 60.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 5:11 am

ultmetal wrote:
TheGooch wrote:

I wonder though, would Metallica be as big as they are if it wasn't for the black album? I mean, they would probably toiling in the same small clubs that Anthrax play to had it not been for the huge commercial success of that album.

TheGooch wrote:
kiss going disco

I hear people say this often, but other than "I Was Made for Loving You", they never really went disco.

IMO their big mistake in the early 80's was hiring producer Vini Poncia, who also produced the awful Peter Criss solo album. Of the four solo albums, the best seller was Ace Frehley. You'd think they would have capitalized on that and gone with proven producer Eddie Kramer. Instead they chose Vini Poncia to record their next two records. Vini robbed the band of their hard rock sound and made them too weak and polished. The songs aren't actually bad, but the recording/production suffers.

They did it to try and keep the original band together. I guess at that time they thought Kiss could not go on without the 4 original members. It was Peter who said they needed to use his friend, Vini, or he'd be out. It's a little strange though that Peter himself was rarely even in the studio back then, and he only play on the song he himself sang on or wrote.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 am

and then I read the second page of this thread.... Laughing

On topic: I read the title of this thread, and I can't seem to remember any details, but I know I've read stories of bands that were rejected by record labels during the 80's that went on to sell millions of albums later on. I guess those labels are gone now. I think Guns 'n' Roses were one of those bands.

Another one is the story of the label (was it Universal) who bought the Finnish company that Nightwish was singed too, only to find out that Nightwish had already left to sign with Nuclear Blast. They were stuck with a small finnish label full of folk metal and death metal acts no one had heard about!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:15 am

[quote="INVADERS"]
Everything Black Sabbath recorded after 1983.

I disagree I think of all Black Sabbath's post 1983 output is very strong with the expection of " Forbidden", but IMO 'Headless Cross", 'The Eternal Idol"," Dehumanizer" are all excellent Black Sabbath albums, and even 'Seventh Star" is a great album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 am

kmorg wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGooch wrote:

TheGooch wrote:
kiss going disco

I hear people say this often, but other than "I Was Made for Loving You", they never really went disco.

IMO their big mistake in the early 80's was hiring producer Vini Poncia, who also produced the awful Peter Criss solo album. Of the four solo albums, the best seller was Ace Frehley. You'd think they would have capitalized on that and gone with proven producer Eddie Kramer. Instead they chose Vini Poncia to record their next two records. Vini robbed the band of their hard rock sound and made them too weak and polished. The songs aren't actually bad, but the recording/production suffers.

They did it to try and keep the original band together. I guess at that time they thought Kiss could not go on without the 4 original members. It was Peter who said they needed to use his friend, Vini, or he'd be out. It's a little strange though that Peter himself was rarely even in the studio back then, and he only play on the song he himself sang on or wrote.

Right. That's the story as I know it as well. Either way. Big mistake.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 am

detuned wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGooch wrote:

I don't think you can directly attribute Bob Rock to that. Metallica was already playing arenas by the time And Justice For All came out and had the largest "cult" following around...an army of drones wearing Pushead t-shirts (I was one) and willing to purchase ANYTHING they were involved with. So the momentum was already with them, I think any album they released after Justice would have sold extremely well. They might not have broken out quite as far as they did with the Black album, but my guess is they would have one of those long sustaining careers.

Right, but the black album pushed them over the edge commercially. They went from being a "cult band" with a big following to being a mainstream favorite even for people not necessarily into metal. Suddenly Metallica were a houshold name. They were seeing mainstream radio play, which they had never seen before. They were getting heavy rotation on MTV, which they did see some of before with "One", but not to the extent of "Enter Sandman". The success of the black album can be attributed as much to Bob Rock as it is to Metallica themselves. Whether this was a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion I suppose. I just see it as a major commercial success for them, even if it did alienate some of their thrash fans.

Anthrax were filling large stadiums too, but they never experience the commercial success of Metallica's black album. They never had the backing of mainstream radio. They never had major support from MTV. Thus when metal became passé in the 1990's, their popularity wavered, while Metallica continued to dominate.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 am

i agree with Ult. hell, Slayer has a humongous cult following & they are no where near Metallica's level of popularity. this is due to the fact that the black album was such a commercial success. Slayer has never released a record for the mainstream.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:37 am

Mc666 even if Slayer had recorded their version of the black album, Slayer still would not be as huge as Metallica due to lyrical subject matter.

Anthrax with John Bush should have had more commerical success but after the release of " Sound of White Noise" everything started go wrong for the band, the musical climate had changed, Dan Spitz quit or got fired, and the record label who I should point out spent millions of dollars to sign them did not promote " Stomp 442'.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 am

I agree with ULT regarding KISS hiring Vini Poncia may have been a mistake but much to Gene and Paul's credit take the blame for the album's direction and do not lay at the producer's feet like I have seen other artist do.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 am

Here's another one I thought of today... anyone remember when Earache Records (home of Napalm Death, Carcass, etc.) was briefly distributed by Sony/Columbia here in the States? Whose idea was that? I've read many stories about suits from the major label dropping in on the recording sessions for various Earache artists during that period and they'd just scratch their heads like "WTF is this?" The most famous story is that one guy from Sony suggested to Carcass that Jeff Walker "take vocal lessons." Did anyone from Sony even LISTEN to any of Earache's bands before they decided to take the label under their wing? Weird.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 am

manny wrote:
Mc666 even if Slayer had recorded their version of the black album, Slayer still would not be as huge as Metallica due to lyrical subject matter.
true, but i was going under the assumption that toning down their lyrical approach would be apart of releasing a commercial mainstream album.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Here's another one I thought of today... anyone remember when Earache Records (home of Napalm Death, Carcass, etc.) was briefly distributed by Sony/Columbia here in the States? Whose idea was that? I've read many stories about suits from the major label dropping in on the recording sessions for various Earache artists during that period and they'd just scratch their heads like "WTF is this?" The most famous story is that one guy from Sony suggested to Carcass that Jeff Walker "take vocal lessons." Did anyone from Sony even LISTEN to any of Earache's bands before they decided to take the label under their wing? Weird.
Fear Emptiness Despair, Heartwork, & Wolverine Blues are still kickass albums.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next