Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!

Go down 
+30
rattpoison
Required Fields
Addy
journeyman
Mattallica667
SuprimuS
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
Schbopo
DallasBlack
kmorg
INVADERS
King D
Chairman_Smith
nevermore
Lurideath
skullsmasher
A Handful of Wayne
TheGooch
Smindas
XYZ
James B.
ultmetal
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
mc666
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Empty
PostSubject: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:00 am

I posted this thread on another forum a few years back and its still going strong.

What are some decisions in the metal world that really made you wonder why they did it?

It could be bands deciding on a singer, singers leaving, bands breaking up, bands getting back together, songs from bands that were just stupid. Anything really that just makes you wonder why they did it..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:16 am

Numero Uno:

Iron Maiden hiring Blaze Bayley. I remember hearing rumors at the time that they were also interested in Michael Kiske taking the vocal slot and to this day I wonder how that would've turned out...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:27 am

the Misfits reforming & using the name without Danzig.

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 am

Thin Lizzy touring as Thin Lizzy, while Phil rolls over in his grave.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 am

The Doors trying to revive the band without Jim Morrison 30 plus years after his death with Ian Astbury as the replacement vocalist and Stewart Copeland as the drummer billing themselves as The Doors of the 21st Century.

First Copeland gets injured and is unable to tour and is let go. Copeland sues and wins.

Jim Morrison's estate sues along with former drummer John Densmore over the use of the name and his image to sale tickets and Manzarek and Krieger lose and have to call themselves Riders on the Storm and finally Ian Astbury quits after he completes his professional obligations and they hire some dude from Fuel.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 am

Ok the Doors aren't metal. How about Van Halen firing Sammy Hagar and hiring Gary Cherone and than have him attempt to sing like Sammy Hagar on " Van Halen III'. Why fire Hagar in the first place?

Black Sabbath hiring Ice T to produce " Forbidden".

Quiet Riot firing Kevin Dubrow to hiring Paul Shortino. while the album he did with them wasn't bad, it wasn't Quiet Riot either.

Axl Rose firing or driving away the original members of Guns N Roses.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 am

[quote="Fat Freddy"]Numero Uno:

Iron Maiden hiring Blaze Bayley

LOL! That would have been mine!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:33 am

Queen recording and touring without Freddie Mercury

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:43 am

detuned wrote:
Thin Lizzy touring as Thin Lizzy, while Phil rolls over in his grave.

Ahhhh, those guys are only touring as a "Tribute to Phil". I saw that tour and quite enjoyed it. It will never be Thin Lizzy without Phil, thus the reason they have not even discussed recording a new album. I don't mind them touring and keeping the music alive. More power to them.

Now, Queen without Freddy Mercury...it's gone beyond simply touring and paying homage to Freddy into recording new albums under the Queen moniker.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:44 am

Blaze is one of my tops as well.

-Barlow leaving Iced Earth to become a cop is up there as well, even though he is back..
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am

Krokus... going from "Headhunter" to the lp that followed.
What could of and what should of been done. sheesh

TNT...again a musical direction thing. They hit stride a bit on "Knights Of The New Thunder" and even though I enjoy "Tell No Tales", it would of been a better move to kick up the metal more than the production and melodic aspects brought way up in the foreground. Just my opinion.

Guy departing from Riot... I don't know the story as to whether he split or was canned ? Rhett was good, but they were so much better live with Guy up front.

All the Sanctuary bands that let Glenn go or let him walk away after he gave them some of the best music and playing they ever had.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 am

David Lee Roth being fired/leaving Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 am

Ricardo Confessori attempting to continue Shaaman in any capacity, despite the Mariutti brothers and, more importantly, Andre Matos leaving the band. No wonder Immortal was bad.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 am

The four members of Vengeance Rising leaving before recording the third Vengeance album. I can only imagine how great that record would have been. We do get a small taste of that album on the new Once Dead CD with "The Contract", but it could never be the same as it would have been in 1990.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm

metallica hiring bob rock
kiss going disco
megadeth going pop
dio leaving sabbath
ozzy leaving sabbath
led zeppelin sellng their souls to the devil
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:44 pm

This thread will probably have a lot of Van Halen references but im surprised no one mentioned Michael Anthony being kicked out of the band to be replaced by EVH's son.

Michael Denner leaving Mercyful Fate. Mike Wead isnt a bad guitar player but he just didnt have the same chemistry as Denner/Sherman.

Paradise Lost recording the album Host. I remember when that album came out I was just really getting into them and this album was only available as a import. I really liked their other albums and couldnt wait to get this one. When I finally did I couldnt believe how disappointed I was to hear how much they have changed. Thankfully they are back into the swing of things but it was tough to listen to these guys for a while.

Faith No More breaking up. Its a shame they really couldnt get along because they wrote a lot of great songs.

Mr. Bungle breaking up. Pretty much the same as above. I miss hearing Mike Patton doing metal/rock songs. Tomohawk just isnt cutting it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm

[quote="Phoenix Reign Drummer"]This thread will probably have a lot of Van Halen references but im surprised no one mentioned Michael Anthony being kicked out of the band to be replaced by EVH's son.

That was another bone head decision from the Van Halen boys.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Thought of another one...

Helloween's PINK BUBBLES GO APE and CHAMELEON albums. WTF? sick

Those two albums pretty well killed whatever momentum the band had built up during their very successful KEEPER OF THE SEVEN KEYS period. It took quite a few years (and a new singer) for them to finally get their sh*t together again.

Similarly, metal history is littered with many other "career suicide" albums from other artists, like Celtic Frost's COLD LAKE, Raven's THE PACK IS BACK, Dokken's SHADOWLIFE, etc.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 pm

TheGooch wrote:
metallica hiring bob rock

I wonder though, would Metallica be as big as they are if it wasn't for the black album? I mean, they would probably toiling in the same small clubs that Anthrax play to had it not been for the huge commercial success of that album.

TheGooch wrote:
kiss going disco

I hear people say this often, but other than "I Was Made for Loving You", they never really went disco.

IMO their big mistake in the early 80's was hiring producer Vini Poncia, who also produced the awful Peter Criss solo album. Of the four solo albums, the best seller was Ace Frehley. You'd think they would have capitalized on that and gone with proven producer Eddie Kramer. Instead they chose Vini Poncia to record their next two records. Vini robbed the band of their hard rock sound and made them too weak and polished. The songs aren't actually bad, but the recording/production suffers.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Jimmy Page recording with Puff Daddy or P Diddy or whatever his name is. sick

Peter Criss's entire solo career
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Quote :
led zeppelin sellng their souls to the devil

?? scratch ??

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

mc666 wrote:
the Misfits reforming & using the name without Danzig.
Pffft! American Psycho is the best Misfits album, so I have no issues with that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm

I'd also like to know who the hell approved that godawful ugly artwork for Metal Church's HANGING IN THE BALANCE album cover... how anyone in their right mind could look at that cover and say "Yea, that's it. Perfect. Go with that" is beyond me.

Quote :
Peter Criss's entire solo career

If you put out solo albums but nobody buys them, can it truly be considered a "career?" Laughing

Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
IMO their big mistake in the early 80's was hiring producer Vini Poncia, who also produced the awful Peter Criss solo album. Of the four solo albums, the best seller was Ace Frehley. You'd think they would have capitalized on that and gone with proven producer Eddie Kramer. Instead they chose Vini Poncia to record their next two records. Vini robbed the band of their hard rock sound and made them too weak and polished. The songs aren't actually bad, but the recording/production suffers.

I second that opinion
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:07 pm

As far as 'Dynasty' and 'Unmasked', KISS are their own harshest critics when comes to those albums, if you read their book 'Behind the Mask' they are not very fond of those albums but much to Paul and Gene's credit they put the blame solely at their feet and not Vini Ponica.

Speaking of Vini they hired him to make Peter Criss more confident , since he produced his solo album and ironically he thought Peter Criss's drumming was not good enough for a KISS album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!   Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Metal Decisions Ever Thread!!
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next