Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AEROSMITH

Go down 
+50
cruedevil71
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
corplhicks
Hadley
Boris2008
BillRoxx
ZombieHavoc
Vexer6
jstate
jettafiend
metalinmyveins
iamrockerfun
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wurthless
A Handful of Wayne
MEGATRON
Witchfinder
Eyesore
Andy
exact33
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
Metal Misfit
vanillaviking
JBall_Z
mc666
MetalFRO
Troublezone
sam
XYZ
Addy
Schbopo
DeathCult
skullsmasher
akeldama
manny
Wargod
rattpoison
James B.
Shiney
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
TrogDawn
tohostudios
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Not long ago, I replayed a bunch of Aerosmith from Get a Grip up to Just Push Play and while they certainly aren't terrible or anything, they just didn't age very well to me. Unlike their 70's/early 80's output, which still sounds great today.

Hearing the hype of Jack Doglas being back on board and hearing stuff like "70's style" got my hopes up, but so far the stuff I've heard has been not much more than ok. Megatron's brief review doesn't fill me with much hope for this new one.

I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those albums that sounds decent enough on the first few spins, but after the "newness" wears off, it's not gonna hold up. I guess we'll see.

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm

So far the new songs I've heard sound "okay" but honestly....not nearly good enough to bother purchasing this thing. I'm perfectly content with listening to some of their 70s recordings when I get in the mood for Aerosmith.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm perfectly content with listening to some of their 70s recordings when I get in the mood for Aerosmith.

Me too...

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm

I actually really like Permanent Vacation, some of the non radio stuff is very good to my ears. After that it's only been a few songs.
Back to top Go down

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I actually really like Permanent Vacation, some of the non radio stuff is very good to my ears. After that it's only been a few songs.

Permanent Vacation was the last Aerosmith album I purchased.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I bought Pump for Janie's Got a Gun but I didn't keep it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

Permanent Vacation was sorta my introduction to the band. I knew of them prior to that, but that album (and videos) hit right at the time I was discovering all things hard & heavy, so it's always gonna have some nostalgic value to it.

Same with Pump. I saw them live for the first time on that tour, so I'm always gonna have fond memories of that album and time. Get a Grip is where they really fell into their formulaic commercial/radio friendly groove and sadly it seems, have no intention of leaving. Except for Honkin on Bobo. That one still smokes!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm

The problem with this kind of album is that it's way too intentional. It's not a natural thing, you know; it was way too consciously made, if that make sense. You just can't force that stuff.

That's why so many of these younger bands are doing the old styles so well these days. I don't think they're trying to force anything; they're just writing what they're influenced by, you know, and it's coming natural.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Quote :
The problem with this kind of album is that it's way too intentional. It's not a natural thing, you know; it was way too consciously made, if that make sense. You just can't force that stuff.

I know exactly what you mean. They're sticking to a formula that worked for them in the 90's (cheesy ballads, radio friendly hits, outside writers, etc.) and producing an album for all the Clear Channel radio markets. And that was fine. It kept them relevent and made them lotsa money. But in 2012, it just seems forced and contrived.

I'm only vaguley aware of who Carrie Underwood is, but I know she doesn't belong on an Aerosmith record. I don't care how great of a singer she may or may not be. That's just pandering to middle America and the American Idol crowd. Now Steven Tyler can appear on "Entertainment Tonight" and say how great she is, blah, blah, blah. They can duet at the Country Music Awards and tweet how fabulous each other's outfits were.

I really wanted this to be a great album, but the more I hear about it, the less excited I get. "Hey, Johnny Depp sings background on it!" Whoopty-f*cking-doo!!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

as i said, commercial friendly.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I haven't completely disliked any Aerosmith album, so I will give it a chance. I still like their 70's and early 80's catalog the best, but I like the more glossy stuff too.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I haven't completely disliked any Aerosmith album, so I will give it a chance. I still like their 70's and early 80's catalog the best, but I like the more glossy stuff too.
Because you're a fanboy like I am with Def Leppard. lol!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Well, I vote DL had more interesting stuff in the last 15 years.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

I'd debate that one. While Aerosmith's 90's catalog might not be great as a whole, there's some definate gems in there. I personally haven't heard a decent DL tune since Adrenalize (not counting the Yeah! covers album).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 11:18 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I'd debate that one. While Aerosmith's 90's catalog might not be great as a whole, there's some definate gems in there. I personally haven't heard a decent DL tune since Adrenalize (not counting the Yeah! covers album).

I like to bash Def Leppard, because Joe Elliott makes it so easy, and it's fun, but I have to disagree with this. Def Leppard reminds me of Queensryche post 1994 and "Promised Land". There are some really good songs, but the albums as a whole don't hold up. With that being said, listen to the song "Paper Sun" off Euphoria and tell me that's not a killer song.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Ok, let me clarify. I don't like any albums by either bands except Yeah! and Honkin'. I just find some songs by DL I like more then Aerosmith here and there.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

The last Aerosmith album I purchased was Nine Lives. After watching them perform a couple of tracks from the CD on Saturday Night Live, I had to have it. At the time, I really enjoyed it. I'd probably enjoy it now if I gave it a spin, but I don't think I've listened to it in the last decade. Wow, how time flies.

I don't know why, but I'm almost never in the mood for Aerosmith anymore. I love the first five studio albums and have them on my Zune, but I almost never listen to them. I'm the same way with Led Zeppelin.

Strangely, all this talk about not wanting to listen to them is kinda makin' me want to listen to them... Nine Lives anyone.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm

^ If you love the first 5 albums, you should check out Honkin' on Bobo.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 am

actually favourite song is itself No.1 Luv XXX easy catchy weak lyrics... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 am

MEGATRON wrote:
^ If you love the first 5 albums, you should check out Honkin' on Bobo.

Agreed! Honkin' on Bobo was great!

I've heard a handful of songs from the new CD but I reserving complete judgment until I can hear the whole thing.

I will say that the ballad they are pushing on YouTube, "What Could Have Been Love", is horrendous. Sounds like something some country/pop star would be singing. Don't Wanna Miss A Thing Part 2. Then there is "We All Fall Down", "Can't Stop Loving You" and "Another Last Goodbye" all of which are generic sounding ballads. Four pop ballads? What the heck? If a duet with Carrie Underwood isn't a desperate cry for a radio crossover hit, then what is? Sounds like Tyler still has his head stuck in the American Idol cloud. Of course, being that he was on that show for a few years, he may actually pull that crowd in and sell a few records to them. (Nahh, they'll all just steal the singles off the internet anyhow!)

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm

As Eyesore said, way too intentional.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Pretty much.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Pretty much.

I guess I must be also because I actually do not hate 'Just Push Play', but three ballads on one album, that is a tad too much but they have done this before on the ' Get A Grip' disc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 am

Enjoying it so far. Definitely think there are too many ballads. There does seem to be some songs that reach back to the bands roots, but there is still some obvious attempts at crossover/hit singles. There seems to be a lot less outside writers this time around with many of the more rockin' songs being penned solely by the band. "Out Go the Lights" is a killer rock and roll song IMO. "Oh Yeah" is a solid Aerosmith song. "Tell Me" is a ballad, but a good one. It's not obvious pop fodder. Checked the liner notes and the song is written by Tom Hamilton.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:09 am

I got the album yesterday cuz my local record store put it on the shelves a day early. SCORE!! I am loving the album. I disagree that this album feels forced. There are several of those Steven Tyler raps and a load of the Aerosmith groove with Joe Perry's bluesy playing. True, there are 4 ballads but "Another Last Goodbye" and "We All Fall Down" are the weakest ones in my opinion, but still not bad by any stretch. As I posted on my FB page, I would much rather hear an Aerosmith ballad than ANY ballads by the mighty Leppard. I love both bands but ballads are not Def Leppards strong suite.

Stand-out tracks for me are "Oh Yeah", "Freedom Fighter" and "Lover Alot". `
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AEROSMITH - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AEROSMITH
Page 9 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next