Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AEROSMITH

Go down 
+50
cruedevil71
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
corplhicks
Hadley
Boris2008
BillRoxx
ZombieHavoc
Vexer6
jstate
jettafiend
metalinmyveins
iamrockerfun
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wurthless
A Handful of Wayne
MEGATRON
Witchfinder
Eyesore
Andy
exact33
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
Metal Misfit
vanillaviking
JBall_Z
mc666
MetalFRO
Troublezone
sam
XYZ
Addy
Schbopo
DeathCult
skullsmasher
akeldama
manny
Wargod
rattpoison
James B.
Shiney
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
TrogDawn
tohostudios
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

AEROSMITH - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Yea, it would appear that we're not the only ones who didn't think much of Ms. Underwood on the record...

Quote :
Aerosmith weren’t all in favour of having country singer Carrie Underwood appear on new album Music From Another Dimension.

Brad Whitford admits: “There was a little bit of resistance. It didn’t come from me, but I heard it like, ‘Wait a minute – this is an Aerosmith album, right? It should be all Aerosmith.’ But it’s like, do you have a problem when you listen to Bob Dylan’s record and this guy’s sitting in on guitar? No. If you’re in a position where you call Carrie and she says, ‘I’d love to come over,’ then f*ckin’ A!”

I don't know if having another guitarist sitting in on a Dylan album is quite the same as the current-flavor-of-the-day duetting on a bad country ballad, but whatever. It is what it is.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, it would appear that we're not the only ones who didn't think much of Ms. Underwood on the record...

Quote :
Aerosmith weren’t all in favour of having country singer Carrie Underwood appear on new album Music From Another Dimension.

Brad Whitford admits: “There was a little bit of resistance. It didn’t come from me, but I heard it like, ‘Wait a minute – this is an Aerosmith album, right? It should be all Aerosmith.’ But it’s like, do you have a problem when you listen to Bob Dylan’s record and this guy’s sitting in on guitar? No. If you’re in a position where you call Carrie and she says, ‘I’d love to come over,’ then f*ckin’ A!”

I don't know if having another guitarist sitting in on a Dylan album is quite the same as the current-flavor-of-the-day duetting on a bad country ballad, but whatever. It is what it is.

The song is an obvious attempt at another crossover radio hit like they had with "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". That song made it on rock radio, pop radio, adult contemporary, etc. The only thing it didn't make it on was country radio. Instead Sony had Mark Chesnut record a bland country version of it that became a hit on country radio.

Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm

I disagree (respectfully) with all you Carrie Underwood haters! I agree it was probably Steven and the American Idol connection that made this happen, but she honestly has a great voice! Like country or to she has a great rock voice or country voice.....

Here is an awesome duet with those two that sounds awesome too! (Just thought I would share)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbIvGVQqKk
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I like the song too, but I can understand why most of you don't, for the most part I can't stand country music, so I wasn't expecting to like the song much either, but surprisingly I did like it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 pm

BillRoxx wrote:
I disagree (respectfully) with all you Carrie Underwood haters! I agree it was probably Steven and the American Idol connection that made this happen, but she honestly has a great voice! Like country or to she has a great rock voice or country voice.....

Here is an awesome duet with those two that sounds awesome too! (Just thought I would share)

I'm not concerned with her voice or talent. I just don't think she belongs on an Aerosmith album period. It's pandering to the country/AI audience. And I don't think the song itself is particularly good either. Even if they had, I dunno, that Lizzy Hale chick or any other "rock" girl on there, it's still a lame tune.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am

First week sales - 63k:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=182229&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
BillRoxx wrote:

I'm not concerned with her voice or talent. I just don't think she belongs on an Aerosmith album period. It's pandering to the country/AI audience. And I don't think the song itself is particularly good either. Even if they had, I dunno, that Lizzy Hale chick or any other "rock" girl on there, it's still a lame tune.

That's where I am at. It's not that Carrie isn't a good singer. It's just a lame song and and obvious attempt to crossover to the country/AI audience. I'm not a fan of either, so it just doesn't appeal to me.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

http://www.avclub.com/articles/high-on-fires-matt-pike-on-why-he-really-really-ha,91271/

Quote :
High On Fire’s Matt Pike on why he really, really hates Aerosmith’s “Dude (Looks Like A Lady)”

In HateSong, we ask our favorite musicians, writers, comedians, actors, and so forth to expound on the one song they hate most in the world.

The hater: Matt Pike has earned his place in the pantheon of metal gods as guitarist for the stoner-rock legend Sleep and frontman of sludge heavyweight High On Fire. On De Vermis Mysteriis, High On Fire’s latest record, Pike’s work is especially impressive, with the guitarist using his riffs to, as Jason Heller put it in his A.V. Club review, “summon yet another host of monolithic, archetypal licks from the jaws of eternity.” Pike has also endeared himself to fans by basically never wearing a shirt when he’s performing.

The hated: Aerosmith’s “Dude (Looks Like A Lady)” (1987)

Matt Pike: I’ve just always had this thing with Aerosmith. The guy sounds like a goat. [Bleating.] “Baaa, baaa, dude looks…” It just gets under my skin. I have this button called the off button or the mute button that I call the Aerosmith button on all my stereos. I just have this weird thing with Aerosmith, where I don’t even care what people say about their old smurf poo. I think they’re the crappiest, most overrated smurf poo band of all time. And I smurfing can’t stand them. [Laughs.] And that particular song gets under my skin to where I want to stab people.

The A.V. Club: Why this song more than any of their other songs?
MP: I don’t know. Just because. The whole smurfing theme to the song is retarded, and it sounds like someone scratching a chalkboard or putting a fork to a plate every time I’ve smurfing ever heard it in my life. I can’t get through 30 seconds of it without smurfing wanting to barf. [Laughs.] That’s pretty much where I’m at with that.

AVC: This song is also offensive. It’s ga-hey-bashing in lyrical form.
MP: Yeah, it’s just… ugh. I don’t know. That was a ’70s cliché, singing about transvestites and finding out the hard way, and then on top of it having smurfing Steven Tyler sing about it and do it in the most annoying way, where you just want to put the guy in a smurfing chokehold. [Laughs.] Make him smurfing tap out before he can get another word out of his mouth.

AVC: It’s supposed to be about Mötley Crüe, or Vince Neil in particular.
MP: Well, I don’t care. I love Mötley Crüe, because they’re smurfing 10 times the band that Aerosmith is.

AVC: Aerosmith’s members haven’t done themselves any favors with their recent career moves, either. They aren’t making anyone think they’ve gotten any cooler.
MP: Oh God, I saw a live show. We played at some festival they played on. They were the headliner, of course, and Joe Perry had his little Guitar Hero videogame, and he did a guitar solo with his smurfing videogame guy. It’s cartoon him and real him having a guitar-off. That made me want to puke, too. Then all I could think about was “Dude (Looks Like A Lady),” and then all I could think about was their vast career of bad smurfing choices. The simpletons of society have just eaten it up and made them as big as they are. They’re just encouraging them to make bad music over and over again.
That band hasn’t done anything since the ’70s. And in the ’70s, which was their most redeeming era, they still smurfing sucked. Two good tracks that just won everybody over, and the rest of their career has been a hot, heaping pile of dog smurf poo. I’m just not into Aerosmith, I suppose.

AVC: You don’t even like “Crazy,” “Amazing,” or “Cryin’”? The great trilogy from the ’90s?
MP: No, I find it offensive, and I think they should be thrown out. I’m sure they’re in the [Rock And Roll] Hall Of Fame. [They are. Inducted in 2001. —ed.] The endless amounts of awards for a polished turd. Actually, that’s what they are: They’re a polished turd. You dress them up in clothes, but they’re still a piece of smurf poo. They walk around smelling really bad, sounding really bad, and making millions of dollars.

AVC: People keep responding to it, so they keep doing it. They take it even further.
MP: Yeah, they’re just encouraging a bunch of shitty old men to play shitty music.

lol!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37906

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am

Quote :
I’m just not into Aerosmith, I suppose.

Geez, ya THINK? Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 pm

The three giants of U.S hard rock from the 70's(KISS, Van Halen, Aerosmith) have always been a mystery to me. It's not that I dislike them as such, just that by the time they really got known in the U.K it was a toned down version of what they started as (particularly Van Halen where I just kinda said 'I hate Jump, I hate 'Why can't this be love' therefore I hate Van Halen) Maybe I should give the earlier stuff a listen although the only one that I can imagine myself liking is Aerosmith as I think that Steven Tyler has a great voice, I loved his song with Pink (ducks flying objects! Laughing )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Matt Pike always cracks me up, he's batshit crazy, but in a very entertaining way. Razz
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The three giants of U.S hard rock from the 70's(KISS, Van Halen, Aerosmith) have always been a mystery to me. It's not that I dislike them as such, just that by the time they really got known in the U.K it was a toned down version of what they started as (particularly Van Halen where I just kinda said 'I hate Jump, I hate 'Why can't this be love' therefore I hate Van Halen) Maybe I should give the earlier stuff a listen although the only one that I can imagine myself liking is Aerosmith as I think that Steven Tyler has a great voice, I loved his song with Pink (ducks flying objects! Laughing )

Wow! Never thought of those as the "three giants of the 70's". VH were definitely huge in the very late 70's ('78 & '79). The big concert draw of the 70's was Ted Nugent, Kiss & Aerosmith. Just the way I remember it I suppose.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Wow! Never thought of those as the "three giants of the 70's". VH were definitely huge in the very late 70's ('78 & '79). The big concert draw of the 70's was Ted Nugent, Kiss & Aerosmith. Just the way I remember it I suppose.

You're probably right, as you can tell from the rest of my post, I'm no expert but VH were a big deal stateside and relatively unheard of over here till Jump. I'm also not an expert on the whole of the seventies, being born in '71
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

You're probably right, as you can tell from the rest of my post, I'm no expert but VH were a big deal stateside and relatively unheard of over here till Jump. I'm also not an expert on the whole of the seventies, being born in '71

VH definitely changed the way heavy metal guitar was played in the late 70's. Before that time guys like Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Uli Jon Roth, Ted Nugent and Jimmy Page were the untouchables. Eddie made everyone's jaws hit the floor much the way Hendrix did a decade before him. He was the new standard in 1978 and everyone was learning "Eruption" on guitar.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 pm

I love the band Sleep, and I like what I heard from High on Fire, but anyone who thinks those dipshits in Motley Crue is a better band then Aerosmith, needs to buy better drugs.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 am

S.D. wrote:
Matt Pike always cracks me up, he's batshit crazy, but in a very entertaining way. Razz

Came off pretty douchy to me. I've read Blabbermouth posts with more mature, intelligent commentary.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Came off pretty douchy to me. I've read Blabbermouth posts with more mature, intelligent commentary.

Would be a bit better if they could get a more neutral interviewer as well (instead we have some guy claiming the song is "ga-hey bashing",,i sure hope he never hears Fairies Wear Boots or Gudbuy T'Jane). I dont even like Dude Looks like a lady, but that interview makes martin popoff's reviews of hysteria, adrenalize, and vault seem fair and objective.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm

That might've helped. I dunno. The whole topic of HateSongs just seems kinda juvenille for someone like The Onion. I've always enjoyed their take on stuff, but this seems a little off-putting.

And Pike's answers, wether he was truly honest (perhaps jealous of their fame?) or just having a laugh, seemed dick-ish. If someone logged onto this site and just railed on any bands we've discussed the way he did, we'd call them out as some trolling, flaming a-hole.

Eh, just my 2 pennies. I like both Aerosmith and High on Fire, but this certainly will stick in my mind the next time I reach for a HoF disc.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12795

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Quote :
He was the new standard in 1978 and everyone was learning "Eruption" on guitar.

yeppers.....ridin the skateboard or the Stingray down the street in '78 and you'd hear all kinds of players pickin away at "euruption". Same went with "arpeggios" when Yngwie J. first hit. So. California in the summertime... S'pose it was similar in other places as well.

Dude's opinion of Aerosmith aside. Let's see if he releases any new music almost 40 years after his debut first came out. I can "understand" disdain for Aerosmith's 2nd career (subjective n debatable fer sures) but how can anyone dismiss music from those 70's albums ? Guess it's an age thing ? Most young musicians in that age bracket should of learned how to play to that era Aerosmith, or not.

It's far from expected to have everybody dig a certain era of a band. Pike just "seems" to come across as trying to be too hip cause afterall, it isn't kewl to dig old dinosaur rock bands if you're attempting to attract the dollars of a certain "twenty something educated" demographic. Just sayin'.....that is quite obvious in the gest of what he said.

I dig on both Sleep and High On Fire, but nothin either band has recorded will impact my listening habits near as close to what those "classic" 70's Aerosmith did.....and still does to this day.

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Pike openly expresses his love for Black Sabbath and Motorhead, so I think it has less to do with what era he likes...as what style he likes.

Hate Songs is a stupid topic and will naturally bring about hate filled responses, that seems to be the point of the entire thing, yes?

It surely won't have any bearing on what I think about the next time I play High On Fire or Aerosmith. I could care less what Pike's opinion of this or that band is...I also don't care what kind of sandwiches he likes...what movies he watches...or what brand of underwear he buys. The only thing that matters to me is the music.

...and P.S....Dude Looks Like A Lady deserves any and all derision aimed its way. Razz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12795

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Honestly, I have listened to High On Fire and never really cared who played or did what in the band. If the Hate Songs thing wouldn't of said what bands Pike had played in, i wouldn't have even associated him with any band by just his name. Like Shawn, said the music is what really matters.

Still, somebody can dislike something but do it in an honest way. If he was saying the same thing to somebody like me, it would of been plain and simple. My point is that he went way out of way to construct his oopinion to cater to the views and opinions of a certain demographic. His answers were more of a marketing ploy to promote his music to that certain demographic and not criticize something/someone for the sake of just criticizing them.

I am not gonna lose sleep cause some "self-imposing" opinion of an average musician differs from my own. It just gives me something to do when I visit this board. Afterall, if we didn't discuss the opinions of others (sometimes to death) Than what is the purpose of coming here at all ?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

I pulled out Music From Another Dimension this week to give it some fresh airplay. If you skip over the 3 or 4 unnecessary ballads ('Another Last Goodbye' is ok though), it's a pretty decent rock record. It's not "classic 70's Aerosmith", but it's better than I think it gets credit for.

Just one asshat's opinion of course. :geek:

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I pulled out Music From Another Dimension this week to give it some fresh airplay. If you skip over the 3 or 4 unnecessary ballads ('Another Last Goodbye' is ok though), it's a pretty decent rock record. It's not "classic 70's Aerosmith", but it's better than I think it gets credit for.

Just one asshat's opinion of course. :geek:

I gave this a spin the other day as well. I too skipped the ballads and it is a good record. Love the bonus cut too.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

It was well worth the money. Same with VH/Different Kind of Truth; several of the songs were meh and the album was really way too long in the first place so I just skip those songs and the album is perfect. I loved the new Aerosmith, very grateful for them retaining their style.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I loved the new Aerosmith expect for two out of the four (!!!!!!!!!) ballads on the disc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH   AEROSMITH - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AEROSMITH
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next