Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How huge is your music collection?

Go down 
+67
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
Lari
Boris2008
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Orion Crystal Ice
shed-rock
Infinite
Doomdance
criss3o
Wurthless
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
Nico
ShadowAngel
sovdat
Gryphon-kl
asgard1980
ZetaReticuli
Motorsud
arttieTHE1manparty
Gilbert
Lurideath
krokus
speed101
GrandNational
Sutekh
A Handful of Wayne
stevegarveyfan
martinsane
SlaytanicPOWER
holydiver97595
Tur-Thalion
powermacho
James B.
mr.electric39
MetalAndy
Kittie Hawk
325ad
nevermore
Getizzyback
DallasBlack
ultmetal
jstate
Dave the Boss
stepcousin
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
snooloui
chewie
Metal Misfit
EvyMetal
Eyesore
shamgar75
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
rigermortis
MetalGuy71
Addy
Wargod
exact33
thejokeriv
kmorg
tohostudios
manny
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm

The proper use for a credit card is to get you into debt. That's how the companies make their money. They hate customers like you!!lol! 

They can be useful if you are very responsible, but the personal debt figures for my nation and yours suggests that a lot of people aren't. If you are not very very controlled with your spending, they can be a trap.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The proper use for a credit card is to get you into debt. That's how the companies make their money. They hate customers like you!!lol! 

They can be useful if you are very responsible, but the personal debt figures for my nation and yours suggests that a lot of people aren't. If you are not very very controlled with your spending, they can be a trap.

so along those lines of thinking, alcohol is made by companies who are trying to get you drink too much?

People want to ascribe guilt to the card companies - its the 'This made me do it' syndrome but when it all comes down to it, no one forces people to get or use them. I do think that card companies need to take income and credit into account to ensure they are being responsible but having a card can be a good thing. If you are responsible, it builds good credit history so when you want to borrow money for home, car, etc you have an established history of paying on time.

The real culprit is the 'have it now' mentality that people display. They dont want to save for something, they want to have it now and will get themselves into debt to get it. Everybody is guilty of it at one point or another but the trick is to look at the item before you purchase it and determine if you want it enough vs. can you afford it. Sadly, many people are more interested in keeping up with the Joneses than making good financial decisions. There are those in debt who have other circumstances such as medical but those are not the majority.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Credit has an advantage when employed and though of as leverage. Credit cards are the weakest form due to their usually high APR and fees but it can still be resourceful. It sucks that, because of past mistakes I've made resulting in poor credit, I can't have a card or even a gas card for business expenses or emergencies. It sure would benefit my business to have one, especially since I'm service-based B2B. But exact is right; personal responsibility is key when it comes to credit usage.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 pm

exact33 wrote:

so along those lines of thinking, alcohol is made by companies who are trying to get you drink too much?

You think that they don't? I do know that your nation has a more mature attitude towards alcohol than mine but here there is massive debate about the drinks industry doing exactly that (particularly getting people to drink at an early age.)

exact33 wrote:

I do think that card companies need to take income and credit into account to ensure they are being responsible.

Yeah, but they didn't, they just bundled the bad debt in with the good, and sold it on until the system nearly collapsed!

exact33 wrote:

The real culprit is the 'have it now' mentality that people display. They dont want to save for something, they want to have it now and will get themselves into debt to get it.

Do you think that change in attitudes happened by accident, you should read some some stuff on Eddie Berneys.

I do agree that people need to take responsibility for their own spending habits, but portraying the financial sector as honest Joes offering a service is stretching things a bit. Don't even get me started on payday lenders!! angry

I know that this discussion will go nowhere as we are clearly miles apart in personal philosophies, I think that there needs to be a lot less debt in the system and people do need some protection from people selling them products that they often don't understand. You clearly think that if you are stupid enough to get yourself into trouble, you deserve the trouble you get.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:38 pm

exact33 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Credit cards are just there to make you buy stuff you can't afford and don't really need (my god I sound like my dad!!affraid )

i dont agree with that - Credit cards are a tool that, when used properly, are fine. If you abuse them, much like anything else, then bad things can happen. I like that i get rewards back on my card - but i still dont spend more than i can afford. Self-control and understanding are key.

Bingo - I use my United Mileage card all the time... but pay it off at the end of the month. I use it instead of cash to get the miles. And use the miles to fly to Maiden gigs \m/

The problem is people have no self control. If it's not in your budget, don't buy it... or save up for it and buy it later.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

You think that they don't? I do know that your nation has a more mature attitude towards alcohol than mine but here there is massive debate about the drinks industry doing exactly that (particularly getting people to drink at an early age.)

I think it is entirely possible to enjoy a drink and not get drunk. The problem is getting drunk is viewed as a positive thing by many folks.

Boris2008 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

I do think that card companies need to take income and credit into account to ensure they are being responsible.

Yeah, but they didn't, they just bundled the bad debt in with the good, and sold it on until the system nearly collapsed!

exact33 wrote:

The real culprit is the 'have it now' mentality that people display. They dont want to save for something, they want to have it now and will get themselves into debt to get it.

Do you think that change in attitudes happened by accident, you should read some some stuff on Eddie Berneys.

I do agree that people need to take responsibility for their own spending habits, but portraying the financial sector as honest Joes offering a service is stretching things a bit. Don't even get me started on payday lenders!! angry

No doubt there are shady and irresponsible lenders out there. There are also good ones out there as well. The thing is this: if people saved and spent in a responsible manner, the payday lenders, lax credit card issuers and their ilk would not be in business. People dont save and they still spend. This not a recipe for good financial well-being.

Boris2008 wrote:

I know that this discussion will go nowhere as we are clearly miles apart in personal philosophies, I think that there needs to be a lot less debt in the system and people do need some protection from people selling them products that they often don't understand. You clearly think that if you are stupid enough to get yourself into trouble, you deserve the trouble you get.

If I get a credit card and decide not to pay my bill, is it the credit card company's fault that i pay interest? I was provided information on how the product works and what happens in different scenarios. People gripe about the interest rate but in reality credit cards are unsecured lines of credit. There is no skin in the game on the part of the consumer, unlike home or autos. There is a much larger risk of default and the ability to collect when default occurs is small.

I think people should not go into unmanageable debt either. Being in debt to the point where you have no hope of getting out is a horrible place to be. People do have protections in the US but few take the time to read the government required disclosures and fully understand what they are doing. How can you protect people from things if you already give them disclosures and they don't use them? At some point you have to realize that those financial relationships are a contract and contracts should not be entered into until you understand what you are agreeing to. If you dont understand then you should not enter into the agreement and find someone who can help you understand.[/quote]

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:46 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Credit cards are just there to make you buy stuff you can't afford and don't really need (my god I sound like my dad!!affraid )

i dont agree with that - Credit cards are a tool that, when used properly, are fine. If you abuse them, much like anything else, then bad things can happen. I like that i get rewards back on my card - but i still dont spend more than i can afford. Self-control and understanding are key.

Bingo - I use my United Mileage card all the time... but pay it off at the end of the month. I use it instead of cash to get the miles. And use the miles to fly to Maiden gigs \m/

The problem is people have no self control. If it's not in your budget, don't buy it... or save up for it and buy it later.

I only use my credit card to buy stuff online and I too pay it off every month.  But I wasn't always like that.  When I was young and stupid I suffered from the "instant gratification" syndrome Exact describes; I wanted what I wanted and I wanted it NOW!  Well that mentality put me about 10K in debt.  I worked my butt off to pay off that debt and vowed to never get in that position again.  And I haven't. Sure my stereo is 25 years old and doesn't have a USB port and my phone is a "dumb phone" but you know what?  They both still work fine.  And because of that, when I had to put a new roof on my house last summer, I was able to pay for it with a check that wouldn't bounce.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 pm

My stereo is 25 years old (actually closer to 30) not because I won't spend the money for a new one but because it's built like a tank and still sounds amazing! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
My stereo is 25 years old (actually closer to 30) not because I won't spend the money for a new one but because it's built like a tank and still sounds amazing! Very Happy 

Yeah same here! headbanger 

I have a set of Infinity speakers that are freakin' pieces of furniture about about 4 feet high but they still kick. And my subwoofer can still shake the house.

I have over 3000 CDs so who cares if I can't play mp3s through it...

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

tohostudios wrote:

How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 23158610

Plugs into your amp and bingo, you can stream files through your stereo! (I'm sure that S.D will have something grumpy to say about this, but I use lossless files and they sound pretty good!  )
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Plugs into your amp and bingo, you can stream files through your stereo! (I'm sure that S.D will have something grumpy to say about this, but I use lossless files and they sound pretty good!  )

Actually, I think I'm going to pick up a cheap Blu-ray player at Sam's Club that has a USB port and hook that into my system as an "auxiliary" component. I just have to get off my lazy butt and do it.

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 6:32 pm

My Mac Mini is the main component of my stereo and plugs directly into the amplifier, I also have a Sony blu-ray player and a turntable.

All the remaining audio CDs (there aren't many) have been ripped into the computer, all my music DVDs have been ripped as disc images so I can play those from the computer as well. The only physical media that gets used are blu-ray discs and LPs.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

mine too but i hardly listen to it anymore. I mostly listen to my pc with speakers and sub.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:19 pm

This is an interesting derailment of the thread - how we listen to music...

Not sure where such a thread would belong but I think we should start one. Would like to show you some of my gear for listening to music.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

That's why I keep my stereo. That's what I say     How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 604261
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
bass63 wrote:
1500 cds & growing. Last year I had a stroke so all I do now is sit all day & listen to music.

I'm sorry to hear that/Glad you made it out okay/Woah music all day you lucky bastard! Smile

Thanks. It is kool. Ive got at least two years before I go back to work. So music is my best friend.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Well I did it. I bought a cheap Sony Blu-ray player at Sam's Club for about $50 and it has a USB port so I can now play mp3s through my antique stereo that still kicks butt.

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Well I did it.  I bought a cheap Sony Blu-ray player at Sam's Club for about $50 and it has a USB port so I can now play mp3s through my antique stereo that still kicks butt.  
 I hate hate hate the sound of MP3s.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 12:54 pm

bass63 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Well I did it.  I bought a cheap Sony Blu-ray player at Sam's Club for about $50 and it has a USB port so I can now play mp3s through my antique stereo that still kicks butt.  

I can't tell the difference on a good radio or decent pair of headphones. Of course I've been listening to MP3 players for many years now. Sticking to CDs and not doing MP3 players is good for those of you who can take your CDs with you into work. For years I worked at retail and had to have something I could hide in my pocket. Now as a truck driver, I don't have the room for a bunch of CDs and it's pretty dangerous to change CDs every hour when you drive 9-11 hours a day in a large truck. With MP3 players I can make a playlist of music and never really have touch it once I hit play (except to pause it when parking or crossing a weigh station). When you constantly are on the move, an MP3 player is a huge blessing for a music fan.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
bass63 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I can't tell the difference on a good radio or decent pair of headphones. Of course I've been listening to MP3 players for many years now. Sticking to CDs and not doing MP3 players is good for those of you who can take your CDs with you into work. For years I worked at retail and had to have something I could hide in my pocket. Now as a truck driver, I don't have the room for a bunch of CDs and it's pretty dangerous to change CDs every hour when you drive 9-11 hours a day in a large truck. With MP3 players I can make a playlist of music and never really have touch it once I hit play (except to pause it when parking or crossing a weigh station). When you constantly are on the move, an MP3 player is a huge blessing for a music fan.
Vey valid point about the driving. I have three large wallets in my full-size pickup, and I've just gotten to the point where I really want a stereo with an aux input for my phone (I have several large SD cards loaded with every CD I won). It's just too dangerous to be flipping through wallets and putting CDs here and there (plus the wallets scratch up the CDs). In your case, driving a rig the size of a starship, it's even more dangerous. I'd rather have it accessible on one console. Also, my phone has a cool voice activation feature--"play Van Halen Women and Children First"--that comes in handy.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:05 pm

I think that mp3s are fine for that kind of stuff but I also use my computer to play stuff through my stereo at home, this is where I find the real benefit of lossless files. Yes they take up plenty of space but how much is a 1Tb external drive?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I think that mp3s are fine for that kind of stuff but I also use my computer to play stuff through my stereo at home, this is where I find the real benefit of lossless files. Yes they take up plenty of space but how much is a 1Tb external drive?
Lossless is pretty awesome; I've learned to back everything up on DVD and a cloud that I pay for, but the sound is incredible, especially for a rookie audiophile such as myself. I had an external 1Tb drive but it crashed on me after a month. I think I chose the wrong mfr. But yeah I love cranking lossless from my computer through my amp, as loud as possible. Smile 
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Lossless is pretty awesome; I've learned to back everything up on DVD and a cloud that I pay for, but the sound is incredible, especially for a rookie audiophile such as myself. I had an external 1Tb drive but it crashed on me after a month. I think I chose the wrong mfr. But yeah I love cranking lossless from my computer through my amp, as loud as possible. Smile 
Having external drives is like being a real man. You need to have a pair. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Having external drives is like being a real man. You need to have a pair. Very Happy
You are right, and you put it so well! Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
You are right, and you put it so well! Laughing very hard 
Laughing very hard 

Best piece of philosophy I've ever received.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How huge is your music collection?
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10