Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How huge is your music collection?

Go down 
+67
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
Lari
Boris2008
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Orion Crystal Ice
shed-rock
Infinite
Doomdance
criss3o
Wurthless
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
Nico
ShadowAngel
sovdat
Gryphon-kl
asgard1980
ZetaReticuli
Motorsud
arttieTHE1manparty
Gilbert
Lurideath
krokus
speed101
GrandNational
Sutekh
A Handful of Wayne
stevegarveyfan
martinsane
SlaytanicPOWER
holydiver97595
Tur-Thalion
powermacho
James B.
mr.electric39
MetalAndy
Kittie Hawk
325ad
nevermore
Getizzyback
DallasBlack
ultmetal
jstate
Dave the Boss
stepcousin
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
snooloui
chewie
Metal Misfit
EvyMetal
Eyesore
shamgar75
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
rigermortis
MetalGuy71
Addy
Wargod
exact33
thejokeriv
kmorg
tohostudios
manny
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

I (vaguely) remember Mini-Discs, though I don't remember anybody actually owning one!

Here's another short lived technology: anybody remember Digital Compact Cassette (DCC)? They were a doomed attempt at keeping cassette technology alive in the face of the Compact Disc revolution, and were a competitor to the MiniDisc:

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 240px-Digital_Compact_Cassette_rear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette

When I worked for K-Mart in the early 90s they put up a big corner display in the electronics department devoted to DCC music titles (one of the few hard rock titles that I remember seeing was KISS' "REVENGE") and players. To the best of my knowledge, we never sold a single one. After a couple of months, the display mysteriously disappeared and they were never spoken of again. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I (vaguely) remember Mini-Discs, though I don't remember anybody actually owning one!

Here's another short lived technology: anybody remember Digital Compact Cassette (DCC)? They were a doomed attempt at keeping cassette technology alive in the face of the Compact Disc revolution, and were a competitor to the MiniDisc:

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 240px-Digital_Compact_Cassette_rear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette

When I worked for K-Mart in the early 90s they put up a big corner display in the electronics department devoted to DCC music titles (one of the few hard rock titles that I remember seeing was KISS' "REVENGE") and players. To the best of my knowledge, we never sold a single one. After a couple of months, the display mysteriously disappeared and they were never spoken of again. Laughing very hard

I never even knew DCC existed!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I never even knew DCC existed!

They've entered the realm of Urban Legend, like the Abominable Snowman or Bigfoot.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

I never heard of DCC either!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm

manny wrote:
I never heard of DCC either!!!!

If I hadn't been workin' for K-Mart when that display went up, who knows, I may never have heard of it either Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
As of today:

CDs - 2436
LPs - 157
MDs - 1

2594 Total

By the way, MD = minidisc. I have one pre-recorded minidisc - Aerosmith's Greatest Hits

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 $T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQjDEBQ(nymjQFg~~60_35

OK I am going to expose my ignorance, but what are mini-disc?

I think they were like cds, but smaller. Kinda of like a VHS tape to the smaller BetaMax. I'm probably wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time. insane

EDIT: here's more info than you probably care to know...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc

Just go with the "smaller cd theory".

That's why there is a smaller circle in some CD trays of PCs. Never had a music mini-disc, but I did have a computer program whose installment disc was a mini.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:22 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
As of today:

CDs - 2436
LPs - 157
MDs - 1

2594 Total

By the way, MD = minidisc. I have one pre-recorded minidisc - Aerosmith's Greatest Hits

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 $T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQjDEBQ(nymjQFg~~60_35

OK I am going to expose my ignorance, but what are mini-disc?

I think they were like cds, but smaller. Kinda of like a VHS tape to the smaller BetaMax. I'm probably wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time. insane

EDIT: here's more info than you probably care to know...

Just go with the "smaller cd theory".

That's why there is a smaller circle in some CD trays of PCs. Never had a music mini-disc, but I did have a computer program whose installment disc was a mini.
No, those installation discs are just mini CDs and that's what the CD tray circle is for. MiniDisc is something completely different.

I had a friend with a MD player, but I don't remember him having much music for it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't seem to get anything right around here do I? lol!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I don't seem to get anything right around here do I? lol!
Don't knock yourself up about it. MiniDiscs went as fast as they came!

I remember it was about a month sometime in the late 90s when the Sony MiniDisc was a big thing. They were small and could hold as much information as a CD. Great for portable music and I think the big selling point was that you could record music from a CD player and put it on your MiniDisc player. We were all in awe!

Then Creative and other companies came up with the mp3 player and all of a sudden it wasn't important to have CD quality music anymore. Which was a little bit strange because the whole point of portable CD players earlier was that, yes they were bigger than the Walkman, but they had better sound. But now suddenly a smaller player with compressed music was better.
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 am

I've got just over 30 mini discs (prerecorded) and a shit ton of blanks that I bootlegged shows with cause it was easy to sneak in. I still record shows with it here and there. Kinda nice to have a copy of a good show here and there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 am

MD's were lower quality than even .mp3s. They were convenient, that was really their only selling point. We used them at work in the late 90s to archive voiceovers that were used for on hold messaging, the quality loss from the original recorded signal to the MD was staggering but since the final product was mono and used over a low fidelity delivery system it didn't matter.

We never used them for our higher quality playback systems, those we archived on DAT.

Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 am

I agree it's not the best for music, but I just like to boot shows. And enjoy them again at a later date. And with the size it's easy to "sneak" them in.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am

If anyone bothered to check that Wiki link, you'd have read that minidiscs were used primarily in the a/v production field. They tried to market them for consumer use, but it never really took off in the US. They were popular in Japan for awhile though.

S.D. wrote:
MD's were lower quality than even .mp3s. They were convenient, that was really their only selling point. We used them at work in the late 90s to archive voiceovers that were used for on hold messaging, the quality loss from the original recorded signal to the MD was staggering but since the final product was mono and used over a low fidelity delivery system it didn't matter.

We never used them for our higher quality playback systems, those we archived on DAT.

I remember using those old DAT machines at work too.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
They were popular in Japan for awhile though.

Isn't everything? lol!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
They were popular in Japan for awhile though.

Isn't everything? lol!

How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 STAR-WARS-BASEBALL

ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Today's count is 9,192. Still mostly CDs.

So, do you have the biggest collection on the board? Or is there someone not sharing?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So, do you have the biggest collection on the board? Or is there someone not sharing?

Uncle Saxon might have given him some competition at one point, but I believe he's sold off most of his stuff. Martinsane has a pretty formidable collection too.

Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Hmm I'm going to say around 100 or 150 at the most. I just started collecting like crazy in 2011.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 am

My Spreadsheet is in the 740s but i still have a bunch of CDs to add to it so I am guessing my collection is now over 800 cds most of which is in storage
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Uncle Saxon might have given him some competition at one point, but I believe he's sold off most of his stuff. Martinsane has a pretty formidable collection too.

I believe Wargod owns well over 8000 as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 pm

kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I believe Wargod owns well over 8000 as well.

I don't even know what I would do with that many CDs. Still pretty impressive though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm

My collection will be brought down to practically nothing soon. My dad will only help me get back on track if I sell my CDs. I plan on keeping my discographies (Maiden, Priest, Savatage, Dio, Pretty Maids, Iced Earth, Nightwish, and Helloween) and my high price stuff. However, unless a miracle happens, everything else will have to go. I will sell what I can on here, the take them to Movie Trading Company, then Half Price Books. Whatever is left I won't get more than a few cents for so will probably just keep them. Looks like I may have to go digital. Luckily, I recently got some hard drives for back-up so I'll still have the music.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 12:04 am

Mine's not great. I had more pirated albums before giving that shit up and rebuilding my physical library. Probably about 200 at this point.

Being married with kids and tied to a budget with no mercy means a slow build. I remember being 21 and going crazy on Amazon, sometimes 500 CDs in one month. Of course, there's always phases where my interests weren't just rock and metal. At one point it was classical, another new wave, another folk, and the worst was christian/praise & worship. A lot of those CDs got sold off or are floating around somewhere (I found my Newsboys discog the other day). But rock & metal has always been my main gig.

In general, I try and add around 10 CDs each month. They do get used because most of my work involves driving.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
My collection will be brought down to practically nothing soon. My dad will only help me get back on track if I sell my CDs. I plan on keeping my discographies (Maiden, Priest, Savatage, Dio, Pretty Maids, Iced Earth, Nightwish, and Helloween) and my high price stuff. However, unless a miracle happens, everything else will have to go. I will sell what I can on here, the take them to Movie Trading Company, then Half Price Books. Whatever is left I won't get more than a few cents for so will probably just keep them. Looks like I may have to go digital. Luckily, I recently got some hard drives for back-up so I'll still have the music.

When are you going to start working on your list? Im very impatient. Oh and from what Eyesore says, your going to have to take a hit on some of the prices of your cds. Just because you overpaid for them, doesn't mean we will Wink

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm

I've already sold most of my CDs (probably less than 100 left). The only physical format I purchase any longer are LPs (and sometimes blu-rays).

I might buy about 1 LP per month now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How huge is your music collection?
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next