Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How huge is your music collection?

Go down 
+67
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
Lari
Boris2008
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Orion Crystal Ice
shed-rock
Infinite
Doomdance
criss3o
Wurthless
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
Nico
ShadowAngel
sovdat
Gryphon-kl
asgard1980
ZetaReticuli
Motorsud
arttieTHE1manparty
Gilbert
Lurideath
krokus
speed101
GrandNational
Sutekh
A Handful of Wayne
stevegarveyfan
martinsane
SlaytanicPOWER
holydiver97595
Tur-Thalion
powermacho
James B.
mr.electric39
MetalAndy
Kittie Hawk
325ad
nevermore
Getizzyback
DallasBlack
ultmetal
jstate
Dave the Boss
stepcousin
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
snooloui
chewie
Metal Misfit
EvyMetal
Eyesore
shamgar75
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
rigermortis
MetalGuy71
Addy
Wargod
exact33
thejokeriv
kmorg
tohostudios
manny
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Cassette - 4
CD - 322 (box sets are counted as one title, so closer to 400 probably)
Vinyl - 25
DVD - 29 (music)
VHS - 2 (music)

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Mine is 2.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

I have two cassettes (Aerosmith's Gems & Judas Priest's Ram it Down).

Approximately 140 CDs.

I have a few (somewhere around 15) records. Including some ZZ Top, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Cactus, etc.

The bulk of my listening is on Spotify now, but I still like to own CDs of bands that I really love.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 4:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Mine is 2.

I knew it! All those titles listed on NLTM are pirated mp3's and the only two albums you own are Miss Saigon and Haunted House Sound Effects Vol. 2! I'm calling the cops...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
My collection will be brought down to practically nothing soon. My dad will only help me get back on track if I sell my CDs. I plan on keeping my discographies (Maiden, Priest, Savatage, Dio, Pretty Maids, Iced Earth, Nightwish, and Helloween) and my high price stuff. However, unless a miracle happens, everything else will have to go. I will sell what I can on here, the take them to Movie Trading Company, then Half Price Books. Whatever is left I won't get more than a few cents for so will probably just keep them. Looks like I may have to go digital. Luckily, I recently got some hard drives for back-up so I'll still have the music.

When are you going to start working on your list? Im very impatient. Oh and from what Eyesore says, your going to have to take a hit on some of the prices of your cds. Just because you overpaid for them, doesn't mean we will Wink

This weekend, my dad has told me to get all the CDs, DVDs, and t-shirts out of storage. I fear I may be losing more than my CD collection. I will be selling everything for $1-3 less than the going Amazon marketplace prices. Hopefully he'll let me keep some of the stuff. Funny, he's told me to concentrate on getting settled into my trucking and not worry the other stuff right now, but asking me to get rid of so much stuff I want to keep is not going to help very much. He said anything I can't sell he'll buy for pennies on the dollar (which means he will get rid of them). Well, I've made my bed so I guess it's time to sleep in it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm

yea don't let it bum you out tho. You can always re-buy it.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 93

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Cds: 3000+
Vinyl (all inches): 500+
Tapes: 35+
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/swordsandchains
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 12:29 am

According to RYM:

424 digital albums
372 cd's
3 DVD's
3 Vinyls

My music collection is not really growing right now tho because I am more concentrated on replacing most of my digital with physical copies.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:11 pm

At the moment: 925 CDs

Growing steadily.. probably adding about 10 - 15 albums per month

Not really focusing that much on vinyl - I may end up buying more in the future

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Your's is growing while mine will be shrinking. lol!
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:31 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Your's is growing while mine will be shrinking. :lol!:

I'm not sure really... we are in the process of buying a new place so I need to save up as much as I can which means probably reducing the amount of albums to about 5 - 7 per month. I re-organized my CDs and based on the shelving I currently have, there's enough room for about another 170 CDs (unless I expand to using all the lower and less accessible shelves). So that's kinda my cap at the moment, 170 CDs, as I don't think I will buy another shelf unit before we move houses.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Well, I've made my bed so I guess it's time to sleep in it.

There is something quite freeing in letting go of your collection.

I sold my entire CD/vinyl/cassette collection about 6 years ago when I quit my job at the time to go back to school. Sometimes I definitely missed it. But it changed my perspective. I still enjoyed listening to the ripped copies I made before selling. The music experience was not altered.

And I still buy music now. Sometimes on CD, sometimes on vinyl, and sometimes in Mp3 format. But I don't feel any need to collect and own every piece of music I might ever want to listen to. EVerything I buy, in whatever format, is purely for the music and not to fill some hole (in a collection or in life, ha).

Collecting is fun, but the joy is in the music.

And for real, it feels a lot better to NOT have money problems than to HAVE a large CD collection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:24 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

And for real, it feels a lot better to NOT have money problems than to HAVE a large CD collection.

Most definitely.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Most definitely.

I 100% agree thou I do buy things simply to fill holes in my collection, I no longer buy 10-20 CDs at one time but maybe 2 or three at a time, it gives me time to enjoy them rather then just giving them a curiosty listen then just fill them away.

Besides I am not willing to get myself in debit just to buy CD's or anything else for that matter.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:48 pm

corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Mine is 2.

I knew it! All those titles listed on NLTM are pirated mp3's and the only two albums you own are Miss Saigon and Haunted House Sound Effects Vol. 2! I'm calling the cops...

Wink

I really have no idea how many I have.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:20 am

Quote :

This is one of my many reasons for sticking to physical cds. Should I ever encounter a financial need it is nice that there could be some return on my investment. Downloads don't provide that.

Quote :
Besides I am not willing to get myself in debit just to buy CD's or anything else for that matter.

I keep to a strict budget and only pay cash in store. Credit cards can get people in real trouble fast.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:26 am

jstate wrote:
Quote :

This is one of my many reasons for sticking to physical cds. Should I ever encounter a financial need it is nice that there could be some return on my investment. Downloads don't provide that.

Quote :

I keep to a strict budget and only pay cash in store. Credit cards can get people in real trouble fast.

Those are both valid points. Which I guess your first one is sort of where DallsBlack is finding himself now, so there you go. If he had been spending all that money on downloads instead of CDs, he would have nothing to sell for some quick cash.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:13 pm

All valid points.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

1500 cds & growing. Last year I had a stroke so all I do now is sit all day & listen to music.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 pm

bass63 wrote:
1500 cds & growing. Last year I had a stroke so all I do now is sit all day & listen to music.

I'm sorry to hear that/Glad you made it out okay/Woah music all day you lucky bastard! Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :

This is one of my many reasons for sticking to physical cds.  Should I ever encounter a financial need it is nice that there could be some return on my investment.  Downloads don't provide that.

Quote :

I keep to a strict budget and only pay cash in store.  Credit cards can get people in real trouble fast.  

I still owe CapitalOne $4000...all for CDs I "purchased" in 2002 (sold back two years later). Credit cards are not the way to go with collecting anything.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
jstate wrote:
Quote :

This is one of my many reasons for sticking to physical cds.  Should I ever encounter a financial need it is nice that there could be some return on my investment.  Downloads don't provide that.

Quote :

I keep to a strict budget and only pay cash in store.  Credit cards can get people in real trouble fast.  

I still owe CapitalOne $4000...all for CDs I "purchased" in 2002 (sold back two years later). Credit cards are not the way to go with collecting anything.

totally agree with that!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 pm

exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
jstate wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

totally agree with that!

I totally agree too. Unfortunatly, I've fallen into that trap again leaving me almost $10,000 in the hole. I was so sure my automotive career would take off and I'd pay it back. Boy, was I wrong! That only put me at about $5,000, then I all of a sudden had huge dental bills come my way giving me the extra $5,000. Once these cards are paid off, I will ditch them and never get another. I will just start an emergency money fund as well as a savings. Also, now that the majority of my music will be downloads, I won't be spending as much anyway.

I haven't counted, but I estimate my current collection at about 500, down from well over 1,500.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm

I haven't had a credit card in years, a debit card does me just fine and if I ever were in need of credit (and I do mean need) I'd get a loan at a much lower rate than a card.

Credit cards are just there to make you buy stuff you can't afford and don't really need (my god I sound like my dad!!affraid )

I got my debts sorted and am now rebuilding my collection, but i mostly buy vinyl, early isses and collectable stuff, so if ever the need arises, I'll have a reasonably liquid asset that i can fall back on before the bailiffs (do you have bailiffs in the U.S? they are the guys who take away all of your stuff!) arrive

I love music, but anyone who has been in that position knows that it's just not worth it, I'd rather just have Spotify etc. than get into that again.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Credit cards are just there to make you buy stuff you can't afford and don't really need (my god I sound like my dad!!affraid )

i dont agree with that - Credit cards are a tool that, when used properly, are fine. If you abuse them, much like anything else, then bad things can happen. I like that i get rewards back on my card - but i still dont spend more than i can afford. Self-control and understanding are key.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How huge is your music collection?
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next