Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How huge is your music collection?

Go down 
+67
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
Lari
Boris2008
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Orion Crystal Ice
shed-rock
Infinite
Doomdance
criss3o
Wurthless
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
Nico
ShadowAngel
sovdat
Gryphon-kl
asgard1980
ZetaReticuli
Motorsud
arttieTHE1manparty
Gilbert
Lurideath
krokus
speed101
GrandNational
Sutekh
A Handful of Wayne
stevegarveyfan
martinsane
SlaytanicPOWER
holydiver97595
Tur-Thalion
powermacho
James B.
mr.electric39
MetalAndy
Kittie Hawk
325ad
nevermore
Getizzyback
DallasBlack
ultmetal
jstate
Dave the Boss
stepcousin
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
snooloui
chewie
Metal Misfit
EvyMetal
Eyesore
shamgar75
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
rigermortis
MetalGuy71
Addy
Wargod
exact33
thejokeriv
kmorg
tohostudios
manny
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 am

manny wrote:

Replacing my vinyl, tapes and now VHS concert tapes has been ongoing project for eons, I usually just give away my vinyl, VHS and tapes, when I replace them, usually the tapes and VHS get donated to my local library.

I never was a big collector of music videos (on VHS or DVD) so I only have a few of each that I've picked up in my travels. Used to have a sh*t ton of movies though. Unfortunately I lost about three quarters of my VHS tapes in a basement flooding incident at my parents' house about fifteen years ago. I swear I wanted to cry when that happened.

Since I switched to DVD I got rid of what little was left of my VHS movie collection at a yard sale a couple of years ago. The only one I kept was a neat little box set of the first three Star Wars movies (the "Special Editions" from the late 90s) just cuz I'm a geek and it looks cool sitting on the shelf. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Replacing my vinyl, tapes and now VHS concert tapes has been ongoing project for eons, I usually just give away my vinyl, VHS and tapes, when I replace them, usually the tapes and VHS get donated to my local library.

I never was a big collector of music videos (on VHS or DVD) so I only have a few of each that I've picked up in my travels. Used to have a sh*t ton of movies though. Unfortunately I lost about three quarters of my VHS tapes in a basement flooding incident at my parents' house about fifteen years ago. I swear I wanted to cry when that happened.

Since I switched to DVD I got rid of what little was left of my VHS movie collection at a yard sale a couple of years ago. The only one I kept was a neat little box set of the first three Star Wars movies (the "Special Editions" from the late 90s) just cuz I'm a geek and it looks cool sitting on the shelf. Very Happy

I am no longer a huge Star Wars fan, but I had the original issue of those movies on VHS and gave them to my oldest son, who just turned 20, and he had them proudly displayed despite the fact he had the DVD special edition copies.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I am no longer a huge Star Wars fan, but I had the original issue of those movies on VHS and gave them to my oldest son, who just turned 20, and he had them proudly displayed despite the fact he had the DVD special edition copies.

I gave my son old, original cassettes of Van Halen, Ozzy, Def Leppard & Journey...he acted like he was looking at fossilized dinosaur bones.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I gave my son old, original cassettes of Van Halen, Ozzy, Def Leppard & Journey...he acted like he was looking at fossilized dinosaur bones.

When my two oldest kids were younger, they used to think the record albums were giant CD's!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

When my youngest son (who was about two at the time) first saw my box of cassettes in the closet a while ago he asked "What are those?" and I sez "Those are some of Daddy's old tapes"... he sez "Can we watch one?" thinking I meant video tapes, cuz we still had a bunch of kiddy videos on VHS in the cabinet downstairs... I had to 'splain that they were not those kind of tapes. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

When my youngest son (who was about two at the time) first saw my box of cassettes in the closet a while ago he asked "What are those?" and I sez "Those are some of Daddy's old tapes"... he sez "Can we watch one?" thinking I meant video tapes, cuz we still had a bunch of kiddy videos on VHS in the cabinet downstairs... I had to 'splain that they were not those kind of tapes. Very Happy

Well, mine was 16 at the time. He had a bookshelf stereo in his room w/ a cassette player built in. It was funny watching him have no idea how to load one in...like watching a chimp play with a peg board.

lol!
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 am

I grew up using Cassettes, recording stuff from our vinyls and even owned some commercial tapes. I got rid off them over the years and only own Synchronicity from The Police and a Best of from Santana.

So far my collection includes 1269 CDs, 341 Vinyls and 74 DVDs. Including crap i should propably burry somewhere (even have a Best of LP from Barry Manilow Laughing ) and some Bootlegs, i can't even remember how i got most of them. For example i have "Dio - The great Deceiver" it's a Red Vinyl containing some Live songs and 2 studio songs (The Great Deceiver and Living for the King)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 am

Mine is around 460 CDs and 40 cassette tapes. That does not include stuff I'm planning on getting rid of, stuff in the maybe pile, or CD-r's. It refers to pretty much everything that is visible on the many CD racks in my room.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 am

I got bout 800 CDS maybe 200 DVD movies, about 10-11,000 songs on mp3 maybe 2 or 3 cassettes and 3 albums on vinyl
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 am

As of right now, I have 2324 CDs, 32 LPs and 75 DVDs. I also have one Minidisc - Aerosmith's Greatest Hits.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am

DallasBlack wrote:
1320 CDs for sure, estimated 20 tapes, and 47 DVDs.

23 of the DVDs were part of several CD/DVD combos. Also figure about 100 of those CDs are comedy albums.

I think I can add about 200 more, as I forgot one large box of CDs that didn't get counted plus ones I got after my origional post.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 pm

My CD collection is modest - about 630 CDs. It would have been bigger by now had I not purged some albums at one point which ironically I re-purchased as I had started listening to those bands again.

However I find that the real value is not in the quantity of CDs, rather in how acquainted you are with the music you collect. Sure it is easy to drop money month-after-month and hoard as many CDs as your wallet can possibly handle, but actually knowing the albums in your collection well enough makes even a small CD collection seem like an wide and all-encompassing collection of albums.

I do not claim to fully be in that position yet; however I can say that I know more than half of the albums that I own very well. That puts me in a slightly better position than having thousands of CDs and only really knowing several hundred.

Perhaps others here have a different view. But to me, quantity is not so important. It comes or should come as an indirect result of collecting albums that you actually like and enjoy listening to time after time.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:16 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
My CD collection is modest - about 630 CDs. It would have been bigger by now had I not purged some albums at one point which ironically I re-purchased as I had started listening to those bands again.

However I find that the real value is not in the quantity of CDs, rather in how acquainted you are with the music you collect. Sure it is easy to drop money month-after-month and hoard as many CDs as your wallet can possibly handle, but actually knowing the albums in your collection well enough makes even a small CD collection seem like an wide and all-encompassing collection of albums.

I do not claim to fully be in that position yet; however I can say that I know more than half of the albums that I own very well. That puts me in a slightly better position than having thousands of CDs and only really knowing several hundred.

Perhaps others here have a different view. But to me, quantity is not so important. It comes or should come as an indirect result of collecting albums that you actually like and enjoy listening to time after time.

absolutely. Great post! I think its one thing to have a lot of cds but its an entirely separate matter to actually listen to what you have.
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Envy doesn't suit you, Alex!!

lol! just kidding

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 am

yeah, I remember going to the used vinyl shops in California and the going surprised , eventually angry Cause my How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 251456 couldn't remember if I had the vinyl already Laughing very hard

I downsized my cds when I moved to Montana......sold off about 2/3 of what I had . Gave away a few hundred cassettes. (done that a few times over the past decade due to thrift stores selling them for a buck or less)

I have about 1000 lps with me here in Montana and three times that still in California.

I also have 3 portable hard drives (TB each) with live music on them. audio and video format, mostly blues, jam bands and 60's pyshcadelic bands.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:51 am

James B. wrote:
yeah, I remember going to the used vinyl shops in California and the going surprised , eventually angry Cause my How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 251456 couldn't remember if I had the vinyl already Laughing very hard

I downsized my cds when I moved to Montana......sold off about 2/3 of what I had . Gave away a few hundred cassettes. (done that a few times over the past decade due to thrift stores selling them for a buck or less)

I have about 1000 lps with me here in Montana and three times that still in California.

I also have 3 portable hard drives (TB each) with live music on them. audio and video format, mostly blues, jam bands and 60's pyshcadelic bands.

nice!
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Wow, I never realized how small my CD collection was haha.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I can air-drum to 99% of the albums I own. The other 1% don't have drums.

Piss off.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Quality over quantity every time. That said if you can afford the quantity, why not? I have a small collection (probably around 220 albums right now) not through choice but through budget limitations. If I had more disposable income, my collection would definetely be bigger and there would be no upper limit.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

snooloui wrote:
Quality over quantity every time. That said if you can afford the quantity, why not? I have a small collection (probably around 220 albums right now) not through choice but through budget limitations. If I had more disposable income, my collection would definetely be bigger and there would be no upper limit.

i can agree with that too... btw thanks for the vega info. it is high on my list to get.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

My music collection is quite small compared to the rest of y'all, but I only recently started collecting CD's. I've probably got around 100-110 albums.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:46 am

I got my first album in 1971 and for most of that deacde, the lps I received were kick-downs from siblings, their boyfriends/girlfriends and older guys I jammed with. So when ya put 40 years of doing something, it changes the perspective.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

But it's not that difficult to know albums and songs in a large collection. Granted i have some strange vinyls in my collection that i only heard once or twice. I have some Vinyls (got them mostly from friends of my family) that are so bad i can't bear to listen to them more, like Trini Lopez - Transformed by Time or Corporal Gander's Fire Dog Brigade - On the Rocks (heard it once, it contains the absolute worst cover of Paranoid i ever heard) but i know what songs are on what albums and i know most of the lyrics. My brain works that way: I can remember stuff like that, i can remember age old video game cheats (iddqd) but i can't remember birthdays and have problems remembering names from people i don't know that good but start a song and i can sing the lyrics or at least 90% of them with no problem. Same works with movies, i have some movies like Ghostbusters where i know all lines.

Besides i mostly follow Queen: I want it all and i want it now. I hate that "Man, i would love to listen to that song right now" feeling and than i don't have it (and Youtube doesn't work because about 85% of the music videos are blocked here in Germany) and that would make me angry. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Perhaps to some, there is nothin but quality in the quantity of their collection. Just sayin'

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

James B. wrote:
Perhaps to some, there is nothin but quality in the quantity of their collection. Just sayin'

Pretty much. When I counted my CDs I didn't include any CDs that I don't listen to.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How huge is your music collection?   How huge is your music collection? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How huge is your music collection?
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next