Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Genres that were huge but are no more

Go down 
+16
assault_attack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
the sentinel
Required Fields
Eyesore
Boris2008
Stender
James B.
manny
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Lari
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Genres that were huge but are no more Empty
PostSubject: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 pm

I was reading an article about contemporary Christian music stating that the industry basically hit rock bottom years ago and hasn't seen a resurrection (zing!). It made me think of smooth jazz and easy listening. These were massive spectrums of glossy, high class pop sentiment that couldn't survive the evolution of radio demand, amongst other factors. It's funny how we're kind of left today with this rather bland and generic period of radio-friendly (if that's a thing anymore) artifice (although some would say the same of the aforementioned genres).

What other genres couldn't stand the test of time, and why?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Nu-metal didn't last long (thank goodness) Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18944

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Grunge. Why? I don't know. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Jazz, blues, funk, punk, disco, glam metal, grunge, Eurodance...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39603

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Oh, disco for sure. You couldn't get away from that stuff for about 2-3 years then suddenly, it became cool to dis it and it died a quick painful death.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm

I dunno know, but is dubstep still a thing? Was it a thing?

Retro Swing was popular for a hot minute. Not that I care. I'm still spinning my Big Bad Voodoo Daddy albums and having a whack-jack-doodle-dandy of a time, hep cats.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Good examples, although I realize what I'm looking for here are dead genres that have even lost their fan base. Glam metal, grunge, nu etc still have a decent pool of admirers, but who listens to disco or CCM anymore?

Retro swing is a great example. I'm so happy I don't have to endure that crap anymore. Ska, unfortunately, still has a niche base.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 4:17 am

Polka anyone
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 am

Disco did die, but its influence lives on years after its past sales date, sampled in hip hop music contains and you can certainly hear it in the people like Bruno Mars, but the genre itself, dead as heaven on a Saturday night
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 9:39 pm

The hippie "Country Rock" scene from the late 60's/early 70's.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 pm

The the uninspired cliche retro bay area thrash thing from 2007/08/09 is over I think, or atleast I want it to be. Don't get me wrong, I just thought there was a lot of cliches to try to be bringing back 30 years later.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 pm

New Wave
New Jack Swing
Nu Metal
New Rave

Basically anything that has new or nu in the title won't last long

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

manny wrote:
Disco did die, but its influence lives on years after its past sales date, sampled in hip hop music contains and you can certainly hear it in the people like Bruno Mars, but the genre itself, dead as heaven on a Saturday night

Disco is still huge! It's just calling itself House now! happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 am

Do genres really go away? Sure, they might dip in popularity, but someone, somewhere is still playing disco records. Some kid is playing all his dad's Limp Bizcut cds and wants to be the next (shudder) Fred Durst.

What's old to us is brand new to somebody. Nothing goes away anymore.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 10:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

, but someone, somewhere is still playing disco records.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Like this guy...
Genres that were huge but are no more Disco%20stu

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Do genres really go away? Sure, they might dip in popularity, but someone, somewhere is still playing disco records. Some kid is playing all his dad's Limp Bizcut cds and wants to be the next (shudder) Fred Durst.

What's old to us is brand new to somebody. Nothing goes away anymore.

I can see that, but also playing a nu metal CD and playing in a nu metal band that is just one of many in a nu metal scene that plays nu metal shows are kinda different things, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 6:41 pm

I do not think a genre every truly dies or goes away entirely. Disco was a singles format and was meant to be disposable. It was a producer's genre and the artists were literally interchangeable. Donna Summer was the only one I knew, who transcended that genre and had a career long after that genre's demise.

Nu-Metal is dead as a genre, saleswise, but Slipknot and Korn still do pretty decent business when they tour, and also rans like Coal Chamber, Drowning Pool, get shoehorned in those low budget festivals.

Plus the influence of some of these genres get absorbed in other genres, disco in things like Bruno Mars, sampled by hip hop artists etc
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 10:39 pm

I honestly don't think of Nu Metal as dead. Tons of fans of that shit here in Fresno, hell Cali for that matter. Emo is the same way with a small dedicated fan base still remaining. Whenever a Nu band drops an album, the sales suck, but it still sells to some degree.

Good point with Disco being a singles format. One could say the same thing about CCM (although for those of us who were slobbering fanboys, full album all the way haha).

It could also be said that some genres simply evolved, such as the folk revival of the mid 20th century, or bebop.

Smooth Jazz though? I dunno, guys...my theory is the remains are stored in a warehouse somewhere with the Ark of the Covenant. Genres that were huge but are no more 288219

Perhaps another spin on my question is which 'dead' genres receive zero to no recognition these days.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 am

Jodeln ist krieg!! tr00
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Nu-metal didn't last long (thank goodness) Very Happy

Wrong. Nu-metal is alive and well. The image may not have lasted, but the music is still being made by countless bands, and many of them are doing well.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Grunge.  Why?  I don't know. Smile

Am I the only one who would have no problem referring to most of what is called "post-grunge" as grunge?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Like this guy...
Genres that were huge but are no more Disco%20stu

Hey, man, Disco Stu doesn't advertise! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 1:34 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Polka anyone

As long as I am alive and can grind on old ladies - POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 am

Required Fields wrote:
Leatherface wrote:
Grunge.  Why?  I don't know. Smile

Am I the only one who would have no problem referring to most of what is called "post-grunge" as grunge?

Both are just alt-rock/metal with a stupid new name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genres that were huge but are no more   Genres that were huge but are no more Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genres that were huge but are no more
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next