Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FYE Dropping Prices?

Go down 
+37
DallasBlack
Hadley
mikeinfla
tohostudios
The_Jayroh
EvyMetal
Wargod
Eyesore
Nico
FlyingV
adrian
Joe
TheDoctor'sScarf
TheGooch
Shawn Of Fire
metallicleora
Addy
exact33
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
mr.electric39
Temple of Blood
SlaytanicPOWER
jstate
Ben Grimm
mez
the sentinel
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Stender
powermacho
325ad
Schbopo
sam
A Handful of Wayne
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
One could speculate that major labels are trying to kill the CD altogether so as to go all digital and cut some of thier own costs...

That aspect wouldn't surprise me. Seeing the format slowly circling the crapper for the last few years, the record companies finally are saying "F*ck it, let's flush this turd once and for all and move on." Leave it to the small & independent labels (who have a genuine passion for the music) keep it alive.

Yup. But even those will dry up eventually. 10-20 years from now, when all the current 40-somethings are beyond the point of wanting/buying new bands/music and have bought all the reissued/remastered/box sets that we want, all the up and coming teens/20s will even get their indie stuff digitally. A small pocket of enthusiasts will still exist...like the groups of people who dress up in old-timey baseball uniforms and get together and play with 1910 rules...people who collect/want physical music will be like re-enactors.

FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 201269
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Welp, either way I'm gonna take a quick suicide-trip mission to the Mall on my lunch break to see what's cookin' at their FYE. Wish me luck.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Hope you make it out alive.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
One could speculate that major labels are trying to kill the CD altogether so as to go all digital and cut some of thier own costs...

That aspect wouldn't surprise me. Seeing the format slowly circling the crapper for the last few years, the record companies finally are saying "F*ck it, let's flush this turd once and for all and move on." Leave it to the small & independent labels (who have a genuine passion for the music) keep it alive.

Yup. But even those will dry up eventually. 10-20 years from now, when all the current 40-somethings are beyond the point of wanting/buying new bands/music and have bought all the reissued/remastered/box sets that we want, all the up and coming teens/20s will even get their indie stuff digitally. A small pocket of enthusiasts will still exist...like the groups of people who dress up in old-timey baseball uniforms and get together and play with 1910 rules...people who collect/want physical music will be like re-enactors.

FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 201269

we can all get our cds out and go hmmrphh! at the new generation while they roll their eyes at us...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 1:07 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Hope you make it out alive.

I'm back... and yep, the F.Y.E. up the road is closing up shop too. As soon as I walked into the mall, I could see the "EVERYTHING MUST GO, ALL SALES FINAL" signs in the windows.

At the moment all CDs are 20 percent off and DVD's are (depending on their original list price) anywhere from 20 to 50 percent off.

Of course the one CD I was looking for - the new Helloween -- was nowhere to be found (d'oh!) so instead I picked up a long-overdue copy of W.A.S.P.'s BABYLON for myself and then a quick Xmas present for the wife (first season of "Charlie's Angels" on DVD - original price $25, discounted price $17.49) and I was outta there in about half an hour, even with fighting the traffic.

Christmas shopping is now officially DONE! Woot.

I'm gonna have to drop by there again in a week or so (once the holiday rush is over) and see what pickin's (and discounts) are left. I saw quite a few other CDs that I wouldn't mind having but even at 20 percent off they weren't much of a bargain .... yet. But if they go down 30 percent or 40 percent... booya!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I'll have to go by the ones local to me and see if they're shutting down...vulture time!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
vulture time!

Hell yeah... I missed the boat when Media Play went out of business a couple of years ago, and again when Tower Records went belly up, so I don't wanna miss this one too!!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I still get a half a chub when I think of all the good deals I got at Tower's fire sale. FYE, prepare thy self to be pillaged. FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 395375

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Mine is going as well. I officially have no stores left closer than 30 minutes away. The FYE in my mall sucks. They recently rearranged the whole store made it smaller and just put the metal with everything else so I hate looking through all the crap.

I bought 3 cds but not any big deals still %20 deals which is stupid because they priced a lot of stuff back up to their old prices. The stuff I got was only 9.99 each. I didn't even want to bother getting anything more than that.

When it gets cheaper I want to try and grab those Carcass reissues but my luck they will probably be gone.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 pm

I can't find anything on-line about FYE (or it's parent company Trans-World Entertainment) going out of business completely yet, but starting in 2009, they planned on closing 130 stores nationwide. This is probably the first step towards going under though.

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:32 pm

The death knell is loud.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Once this store is closed I'm strictly just going to buy stuff online. Theres no point in going to a store anymore. The mom and pop shops around here are crap and the other stores that I like are too far away. So until I make a special trip out to NJ I won't bother making a trip anywhere.

In a way it kind of might be a good thing. It will stop me with a lot of impulse buying I do.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 am

whats a "mom an pop shop". im curious?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 am

TheGooch wrote:
whats a "mom an pop shop". im curious?

Independent record store, not owned by a corporate chain.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 pm

You know, the ones with the "adult" sections. They usually had the red lighted arrows pointed at the doorway in the back.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Just ran over to the FYE up the road again for a quick scrounge... got a new copy of Ravage's END OF TOMORROW (list price: 11.99, knocked down to $9 and change) and used copies of Testament's FORMATION OF DAMNATION and Manowar's FIGHTING THE WORLD. Grand total for all three: $21 and change. I'm a happy camper.

Will probably drop by again next week to start digging in the DVD department (drools with anticipation)....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice finds, love all of those.

Cd shops will be specialty shops full of us grayhairs scrounging for that hidden treasure and muttering about how kids don't appreciate music these days.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Quote :
Testament's FORMATION OF DAMNATION

FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 11840

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
Testament's FORMATION OF DAMNATION

FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 11840

Shoulda picked that one up two years ago, but hey, better late than never. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 am

Well, now that the holiday insanity is over and it's back to the grind, I think it might be time for another lunchtime trip to that F.Y.E. today to see what pickin's can be had. If I make the trip, I'll report back later.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:00 am

I hit 3 different mall FYE's in my area over the holiday break and all of them seem to be staying in business for the time being. No "closing sales" to be found.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I hit 3 different mall FYE's in my area over the holiday break and all of them seem to be staying in business for the time being. No "closing sales" to be found.

Be patient. If the entire chain is circling the drain, those stores may be in the next batch of closings.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

Hit the FYE up the road again yesterday... things are getting chaotic in there. The discount on new CDs appears to be 40 percent off now, but there were some racks of random stuff that were 60 percent off, there were some bins of used CDs that were 2 for $5 while others were 2 for $1, etc., etc.... after wandering around for a while I gave up trying to figure it all out, I just threw my picks on the counter and was fine with whatever total they came up with (end result was three CDs for just over $10).

Thinking about going up there again today for some DVD scroungin' so I have something to watch during tomorrow's big snow storm.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Man, I live to far away to hit these closing sales. I was in Portland the week after Tower shut their doors and the closest FYE is over two hours away when there isn't snow.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'd also like to add that in visiting those 3 FYE's, I came away with nothing, zilch, nada, in used sections either. Even the used cd market is drying up in my area. I think I've picked 'em all clean. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: FYE Dropping Prices?   FYE Dropping Prices? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FYE Dropping Prices?
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next