Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hefty airline prices.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Hefty airline prices. Empty
PostSubject: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 am

Hefty airline prices. Obese-passenger-american-airline-250nm-120409 The photo in question is believed to have been taken from American Airlines. We spoke with American Airlines media spokesperson Tim Smith to get his take on the situation. Here's what he had to say:

"We are currently in the process of looking into this situation. We do have a policy that tries to be flexible for passengers of size. Certainly no passenger would ever be allowed to fly on American Airlines in any way that obstructs the aisles of the aircraft, and all passengers must be properly seat-belted—part of the FAA rules. It is very obvious in the photo that the aircraft is not inflight at the time the photo was taken—other passengers are still boarding and several overhead bins are still open. We can assure you that all passengers on this flight were safely and comfortably accommodated, and that no FAA rules were broken."

Tim says that they don't "routinely charge for an extra seat unless there are simply no other options. Our people are trained to work with customers to try and accommodate ALL passengers onboard. Often, pending how full the flight is, we can get everyone taken care of." Tim adds that "each situation is handled individually on a case-by-case basis with utmost professionalism and discretion." He also cites FAA rules on the matter, which state that "all passengers must use FAA required restraint devices" and that "no aisle may be blocked by any passenger or bags in case of emergency."

A sampling of how some airlines handle full-figured guests:

Southwest
Passengers who "compromise any portion of adjacent seating" should plan on booking a second seat before getting to the airport. If the flight isn’t packed, the cost of the additional seat will be refunded. For more information, see Southwest’s Guidelines for Customers of Size or refer to their Customer of Size Q&A

United
In March of this year, United changed their policy regarding larger passengers. If unoccupied seats are available on the flight, the passenger will be relocated next to one free of charge. If not, passengers must purchase an upgrade to a cabin with available seats, or transfer their ticket and purchase a second seat on the next available flight. For additional information, see United’s webpage for Passengers Requiring Extra Space.

Continental
Larger passengers will be required to buy two seats. If the second seat is booked in advance, the same rate applies as the original seat. Those waiting for the day of travel will have to buy the second seat at the price applicable to the departure date. Customers also have the choice of upgrading to first class or business. For more information, check out Continental’s webpage for Customers Requiring Extra Seating.

JetBlue
JetBlue reserves the right to charge larger passengers for an additional seat, at the lowest available rate. They will charge larger passengers only if the flight is fully booked.

US Airways
Charging a customer for two seats is a last resort for US Airways. The carrier first tries to accommodate the passenger by relocating them near an empty seat. If no empty seats exsist on the flight, they offer to rebook them on a later flight that has open seats available, free of charge. If none of these are options, only then does the carrier require passengers to buy two tickets.

Larger passengers should pay larger fees:

This man violates FAA standards for safety.
As an airline captain I can tell you that passenger depicted in your article does not meet FAA standards for safety. More important than passenger comfort or even emergency egress issues, in the event of a crash sequence, the overweight passenger could cause death to surrounding passengers as he is not safely secured. At our airline, and I know at Southwest, obese passengers must pay for two seats. It has nothing to do with fair treatment; it has to do with total passenger weight which is limited to 190 per passenger for weight and balance, on average. They certainly would be considered handicapped as they could not exit as normal passengers would. There is absolutely no discrimination here. Weight is weight; if your bag exceeds 50 pounds, prepare to pay extra, same for passengers.

People need to pay their share.
It fits right in with the 100-pound. traveler toting 3-4 pieces of gigantic luggage, it's about time people people pay their share.

They should pay more and board last.
I think oversized passengers should have to pay for two seats and be located where the last person(s) to exit in an emergency so as to enable able-bodied passengers to escape rapidly. An exception would be when empty seats are available after all seat requests (stand-by, etc.) are satisfied. They should also either board early or last so as not to hold up the whole boarding process.

There should be a "demo" seat at the ticket counter—don't fit? Pay more.
Perhaps the airline should put a “demo” seat at the ticket counter—if your posterior luggage does not fit into the space, then you should have to buy a bigger space. Currently the same rules apply to oversized luggage. In looking at the picture, I wonder how the stewardess could fit the beverage cart down the aisle or how any passengers could access the lavatory.

Overweight passengers put other travelers at risk.
Absolutely. Since airlines treat us (and now our luggage) as nothing more than "packages" and charge us by weight on our luggage, why not charge morbidly obese people based on their additional weight? Think of this scenario: a convention of morbidly obese people is being held in San Francisco and a group of 150 morbidly obese people get together to fly there from Philadelphia. All that additional weight makes the plane unsafe to fly and the average-weight passengers on that flight have their lives put at risk, their comfort compromised by the "overflow" from the obese passenger sitting next to them, and the safety hazard of having a morbidly obese person blocking the aisle for exits in emergencies.

If you take up more than one seat, you should pay for two.
I'm not a lightweight, but I am constantly battling to keep myself healthy at 65 years of age. However, having traveled in coach with people who are “obese”, I really feel that if you take up more than one seat, you should pay for more than one seat. I traveled across the US seated next to a severely overweight young lady. She sat by the window and I sat in the middle. The aisle seat was taken up by a huge person as well. For five hours I was in sheer misery. I could not use either armrest because they could not be put down due to the excess flesh from both sides encroaching on my seat. If there had been a crash, I would have been overwhelmed by both these people trying to get out.

I'm a flight attendant and we frequently end up re-arranging seat patterns to put children next to obese passengers.
As a 20+ year flight attendant with a major carrier, we are not to address the obesity/space issue unless another passenger expresses their concern or displeasure—which they inevitably do not until we are airborne! Our only other company directive is to "attempt to re-seat passengers in order to accommodate the larger individual"! So, in addition to stowing a ridiculous number of bags because no one is willing to "utilize the space beneath their seats" and trying to cram in the tiniest possible articles into the overhead bins, we are now expected to rearrange the entire aircraft to put children beside obese passengers.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:20 am

I totally agree that they should pay for two seats!!!!!! While the vast majority of my flying has been good (I will NEVER EVER fly DELTA again!!!!! DELTA really does mean Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport!!!!), I have had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to a morbidly obese person on a trans-continental flight from OAK (as in Oakland) to IAD (Washington-Dulles). This was on United and I had paid a little extra to sit in the Economy Plus section (has 5 extra inches of leg room). It was a business trip. I get to my seat (it was a window seat, I usually get Isle but they didn't have any isle seats available in Economy Plus), sit down and then I see this guy that had to weight 350 - 400 pounds get on the plane. At this point I am praying "Please God, don't let his seat be next to mine".

Of course, his seat was next to mine. The guy sits down next to me, he has to work to get his a$$ to fit in the seat. His fat rolls just cover the arm rests and spill over into my seat. The guy's fat takes up 1/4 of my seat. I have to keep myself proped against the window. Then, when I have to get up and take a leak (remember this is a cross-country flight), the guy gunts and is pissed that he has to get up!!!!!

What a nightmare flight - the guy should have been forced to buy two tickets! And the flight was sold out!!!!! It sucked!!!!!!!

So, I am all for making people buy two seats!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:39 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I totally agree that they should pay for two seats!!!!!! While the vast majority of my flying has been good (I will NEVER EVER fly DELTA again!!!!! DELTA really does mean Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport!!!!), I have had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to a morbidly obese person on a trans-continental flight from OAK (as in Oakland) to IAD (Washington-Dulles). This was on United and I had paid a little extra to sit in the Economy Plus section (has 5 extra inches of leg room). It was a business trip. I get to my seat (it was a window seat, I usually get Isle but they didn't have any isle seats available in Economy Plus), sit down and then I see this guy that had to weight 350 - 400 pounds get on the plane. At this point I am praying "Please God, don't let his seat be next to mine".

Of course, his seat was next to mine. The guy sits down next to me, he has to work to get his a$$ to fit in the seat. His fat rolls just cover the arm rests and spill over into my seat. The guy's fat takes up 1/4 of my seat. I have to keep myself proped against the window. Then, when I have to get up and take a leak (remember this is a cross-country flight), the guy gunts and is pissed that he has to get up!!!!!

What a nightmare flight - the guy should have been forced to buy two tickets! And the flight was sold out!!!!! It sucked!!!!!!!

Wow... that must've sucked 'big time'. Tell me he didn't stink with B.O. too?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

No, it was just nasty having to sit next to the fat of someone else in my seat!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Passengers of size??? Hefty airline prices. Lol

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

No, it was just nasty having to sit next to the fat of someone else in my seat!

But the guy could have perspired on you too.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm

I think that the fellow in the photo is a large framed gent, and whether or not he is obese for his size cannot be determined by this picture. Everyones head is close to the top of their seat, yet this guys' shoulder blades are above the seat. Obesity makes you wider, not taller.

But back to the issue at hand, should you be not allowed to fly for the same rate because you do not fit the 190 average the have set? I am not obese, but I am 6 foot and weigh around 210. A good friend of mine is 6'6" and weighs 300 lbs but is not in any way considered obese, so should either of us have to pay more because we do not fit the airline norm? My mother is 100 lbs so should she get half price for being around half of the 190 ?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

metalken wrote:
I think that the fellow in the photo is a large framed gent, and whether or not he is obese for his size cannot be determined by this picture. Everyones head is close to the top of their seat, yet this guys' shoulder blades are above the seat. Obesity makes you wider, not taller.

But back to the issue at hand, should you be not allowed to fly for the same rate because you do not fit the 190 average the have set? I am not obese, but I am 6 foot and weigh around 210. A good friend of mine is 6'6" and weighs 300 lbs but is not in any way considered obese, so should either of us have to pay more because we do not fit the airline norm? My mother is 100 lbs so should she get half price for being around half of the 190 ?

If your body invades the space of the person next to you then yes you should pay for two seats. The one within their limits shouldn't have to be uncomfortable.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Troublezone wrote:
metalken wrote:

If your body invades the space of the person next to you then yes you should pay for two seats.

As someone who flys a lot, I agree
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hefty airline prices.   Hefty airline prices. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hefty airline prices.
Page 1 of 1