Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOKKEN

Go down 
+49
brokentulsa
nevermore
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
chewie
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
Arjun_M
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
DeathCult
Mujer Serene
firestarter
arttieTHE1manparty
onrypt
bassman
James B.
speed101
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
exact33
Metallic Blaze
Rex
Tall Tyrion
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Getizzyback
MetalFRO
the sentinel
7thSaviour
stepcousin
metalken
Leatherface
Metal Misfit
7thSecond
Lari
thejokeriv
kmorg
Fat Freddy
manny
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:10 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I don't know. If one of the best rock bands ever is named after you, you're probably a bit of a legend.

At least in your own mind if not anywhere else.

But Don built and maintained this band himself from the late 70's through today and that counts for something. Hell if anyone in Motley Crue can be referred to as "classic" or "legendary" then Don Dokken deserves his place as well.

If you want to think of Don as legendary that's cool but Don insisting that others call him legendary is the pinnacle of jerkitude. Also, I love Dokken and I think they are one of the great metal bands of all time. But Don is an assclown.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

If you want to think of Don as legendary that's cool but Don insisting that others call him legendary is the pinnacle of jerkitude.

I totally understand your point. I just think that a "Morning Zoo" crew taking it upon themselves to criticize anyone who has actually accomplished something of merit is pretty ignorant on their part.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

If you want to think of Don as legendary that's cool but Don insisting that others call him legendary is the pinnacle of jerkitude.

I totally understand your point. I just think that a "Morning Zoo" crew taking it upon themselves to criticize anyone who has actually accomplished something of merit is pretty ignorant on their part.

Also true!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Just saw this at another forum and all I can say is "OUCH!"

The planned classic-era Dokken reunion now may be off the table, but that hasn’t stopped three quarters of the band from getting together to lay down some tracks, both old and new, and taking a little dig at the missing member in the process.

George Lynch has told Classic Rock Revisited that he has formed a new band with Dokken alumni Jeff Pilson (bass) and “Wild” Mick Brown (drums) called Tooth and Nail, named after a Dokken album. “That’s Dokken without Don,” Lynch explained. “The record is called Dump the Chump.”

Pilson, who now plays in Foreigner, is a very capable vocalist, taking the mic for the brilliant Lynch/Pilson album Wicked Underground in 2005. “When the Dokken reunion was not going to happen we just said, ‘Why don’t we just do this? This is way cooler,’” Lynch told Classic Rock Revisited. “Many years later, we are doing it and it is just for fun. It is half new material and it is half old Dokken material.”

Lynch says Tooth and Nail have already started recording, and will finish work on Dump the Chump around the end of the year, after his and Pilson’s schedules have cleared.

"Dump the Chump?" ZzzzzING! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:21 pm

'Dump the Chumb" Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Ouch indeed. While the project in itself sounds promising, that album title is really childish and sinking pretty low. I LOVE it!! Will Don respond back in similiar fashion? One can only hope!

Wasn't Wild Mick still playing with Don?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Ouch indeed. While the project in itself sounds promising, that album title is really childish and sinking pretty low. I LOVE it!! Will Don respond back in similiar fashion? One can only hope!

Wasn't Wild Mick still playing with Don?

Yes he was but now he is playing with Ted Nugent, and the issue seems to between Don Dokken and George Lynch, they are probably both douche bags but talented douche bags
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The Lynch/Pilson and War And Peace stuff is really good, and Pilson can definitely do the Dokken tracks justice.

Not a Don Dokken clone, but still similar enough.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:06 pm

I guess the lesson learned here is don't name, or allow your band to be named after the singer.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 am

Eyesore wrote:
The Lynch/Pilson and War And Peace stuff is really good, and Pilson can definitely do the Dokken tracks justice.

Not a Don Dokken clone, but still similar enough.

I have the Lynch/Pilson album, but it doesn't get much play from me. Kinda fades into the background. The last time I played it was in my car. I got out, went to work and when I came back 8 hours later, I couldn't remember who I was listening to and had to pop the disc out to see who it was.

I don't think I've ever heard any of the War & Peace stuff. Maybe just a track or 2.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have the Lynch/Pilson album, but it doesn't get much play from me. Kinda fades into the background. The last time I played it was in my car. I got out, went to work and when I came back 8 hours later, I couldn't remember who I was listening to and had to pop the disc out to see who it was.

Ditto. I had the Lynch/Pilson album (or should that be "the L/P LP?" Haha) when it was a new release, it was one of those discs that sounded OK while it was playing but as soon as it ended nothing stuck, it just went in one ear and out the other, so I eventually traded it off.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 am

War and Peace is much better than Lynch/Pilson.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Man...cranking some classic Dokken this morning. These guys were so damn good.

It's a shame that A- Don doesn't sound like he did back in the day and B- that the classic line up could not hold it together. The trifecta of T&N/ULAK/BFTA is Melodic Metal perfection.

Don is doing an acoustic tour soon w/ Mark Boals as his back up (on stage, singing with him/harmonizing).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It's a shame that A- Don doesn't sound like he did back in the day and B- that the classic line up could not hold it together. The trifecta of T&N/ULAK/BFTA is Melodic Metal perfection.

Don is doing an acoustic tour soon w/ Mark Boals as his back up (on stage, singing with him/harmonizing).
Can Don even harmonize with Boals these days, or is he going to make Boals sound like crap too? lol!

But I agree with you; those three albums are gold!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Can Don even harmonize with Boals these days, or is he going to make Boals sound like crap too? lol!

I feel bad for Don. He needs someone to carry the higher, melodic bits in the choruses like Pilson used to for him live...that's why Kelly Keeling and JSS are utilized on Dokken albums these days...filling on those chorus harmonies...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I feel bad for Don. He needs someone to carry the higher, melodic bits in the choruses like Pilson used to for him live...that's why Kelly Keeling and JSS are utilized on Dokken albums these days...filling on those chorus harmonies...

I saw Dokken in 2009 at some dive bar, and to be frank, Don's voice was downright awful. It wasn't Mark Slaughter awful, but not very far off.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:51 pm

It's got to be so hard to know what you used to do and the reality of the now. Kind of like me in the weight room. DOKKEN - Page 8 929441DOKKEN - Page 8 251456
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It definitely sucks to lose your voice when it's how you make a living, but while I feel bad for Don, I like his honesty about it, you know.
Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Lately I sampled Quiet Riot's Metal Health on YouTube, dubbed as one of the greatest metal albums ever recorded- and never really got into it. In a list of related videos, I found Dokken's Under Lock and Key, and the tunes stuck in me. Guess which one gets my cash/credit.

I never really liked glam bands because it's all about image and no substance, their lyrics are often about romance, partying and sleaze, but Dokken is one band whose music has a lot of depth. Classic metal with glam image and lyrics. I never got to like Poison, RATT, Twisted Sister or Quiet Riot, but just sampling Under Lock and Key once made me a fan. Love the riffs, love the rhythm, love the solos, the songwriting, don't quite love the lyrics and singing style.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Quote :
Lately I sampled Quiet Riot's Metal Health on YouTube, dubbed as one of the greatest metal albums ever recorded

I don't think it's ever been referred to as that. It IS important to the history of metal because it broke the genre out in the open in the States.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I've never thought Quiet Riot were a great band. They surely had a number of great songs, but that never translated to them as an overall band. A good band with a few great songs.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I've never thought Quiet Riot were a great band. They surely had a number of great songs, but that never translated to them as an overall band. A good band with a few great songs.
Yes. QR has some good songs which showcase the talent they have. I think the band members are good, but not great.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:32 am

The bass player on our very first demo used to always go around saying, "Rockin' like Dokken....Except Dokken SUCKS!!! Bwahahahaha!".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:26 am

Dokken > Quiet Riot.

Just sayin'.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:29 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Dokken > Quiet Riot.

Just sayin'.

Well, duh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DOKKEN - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DOKKEN
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next