Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOKKEN

Go down 
+49
brokentulsa
nevermore
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
chewie
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
Arjun_M
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
DeathCult
Mujer Serene
firestarter
arttieTHE1manparty
onrypt
bassman
James B.
speed101
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
exact33
Metallic Blaze
Rex
Tall Tyrion
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
Getizzyback
MetalFRO
the sentinel
7thSaviour
stepcousin
metalken
Leatherface
Metal Misfit
7thSecond
Lari
thejokeriv
kmorg
Fat Freddy
manny
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I like Dokken and I am fan, but maybe I am mistaken but I do think there is a huge demand for a reunion of classic Dokken line up.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:46 pm

manny wrote:
I like Dokken and I am fan, but maybe I am mistaken but I do think there is a huge demand for a reunion of classic Dokken line up.

If by "huge demand" you mean a paying slightly higher price tag to have the band play the same clubs and festivals they already play, then yeah.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

If by "huge demand" you mean a paying slightly higher price tag to have the band play the same clubs and festivals they already play, then yeah.

Very Happy

Not exactly what I meant but excellent point.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

The hardcores want it...but if history has taught us anything, it's that very, very rarely do full on reunions produce albums that make the fans happy. I can't even think of one instance where an original line up came back together, put out an album, and had the fans love it across the board...these types of reunions are absolutely doomed to "compared to my favorite album" syndrome from fans.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

The hardcores want it...but if history has taught us anything, it's that very, very rarely do full on reunions produce albums that make the fans happy. I can't even think of one instance where an original line up came back together, put out an album, and had the fans love it across the board...these types of reunions are absolutely doomed to "compared to my favorite album" syndrome from fans.

I have one Deep Purple-Perfect Strangers!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

True...I never paid that album much attention since I was in full on 80s Metal mode then...but think of all the band reunions of the last 15 years and most of them put out albums that the majority of fans who happened to know about it (smaller labels, no media attention, etc) thought the albums were lame.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

Here's another 4 - Iron Maiden - BNW, DoD, AMOLAD, TFF. But, they had to rebuild the fanbase while adding tons of new fans
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

Here's another 4 - Iron Maiden - BNW, DoD, AMOLAD, TFF. But, they had to rebuild the fanbase while adding tons of new fans

I've heard much more divided opinions on the Bruce reinion albums...half think they're lame (especially DoD) while the other half think they're great.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy

I've heard much more divided opinions on the Bruce reinion albums...half think they're lame (especially DoD) while the other half think they're great.

Yes, but those people that don't like the albums only want to hear the first 7 albums and anything that doesn't sound exactly like them is a failure to them. I did notice that on the 2010 leg of the tour that the BNW songs got a great reaction as did DoD (song) - I think now that people have lived with BNW for 11 years that they are "used" to it. Heck, Wicker Man is a frakin AWESOME show opener and best opening track for a tour since Aces High.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:34 pm

As for IM, most of my friends have said "wish I would have seen them back then". They obviously haven't seen a recent Maiden concert. They are stronger than ever.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
As for IM, most of my friends have said "wish I would have seen them back then". They obviously haven't seen a recent Maiden concert. They are stronger than ever.

O yeah!!!!!!! They play the old tracks better now and Bruce sings better now!!!! Plus, experiencing the post-reunion tracks live just makes them even better! I always like Dance of Death (track) but I didn't LOVE it until I saw it live!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Bruce sings those songs live now better than he ever did back in the day. One reason is because he takes many of the notes down to a more comfortable level. It sounds fine (not like cheating, like one might think) and he can hit them more solidly.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Quote :
Yes, but those people that don't like the albums only want to hear the first 7 albums and anything that doesn't sound exactly like them is a failure to them.

Which is back to my original point...that's the majority of Maiden's fans. They still do well in American arenas but the albums don't sell all that well. Most people, even the majority of Maiden fans, don't care if there are any new albums (or that there even is one) and when they put one out there is a LOT of "meh, not as good as Piece Of Mind" going on.

Maiden had the luxury of being global arena fillers before their American popularity waned...Dokken never made it past opening act/club status...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Bruce sings those songs live now better than he ever did back in the day. One reason is because he takes many of the notes down to a more comfortable level. It sounds fine (not like cheating, like one might think) and he can hit them more solidly.

That and they don't do as many shows AND have more days between shows...they used to do, what, 175-200 shows a year back in the day? It's not even half that now...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
That and they don't do as many shows AND have more days between shows...they used to do, what, 175-200 shows a year back in the day? It's not even half that now...

Good point.

But about Dokken, part of the charm was Don's voice and he has lost it. Lynch has seriously tarnished his guitar hero status as while, but that's more of a minor concern for this reunion I think.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 2:04 pm

I love the newer Iron Maiden albums and think the Life and Death album ranks right up there with anything from their classic era.

I have not seen Dokken live in about a thousand years but from everything I have been hearing ToB is correct, Don Dokken's voice is shot but my understanding was he was having surgery to repair some of the issues with his voice.

George Lynch is still a great guitartist, but that album he did years ago, where they should have called themselves Lynch Bizkit sucked!
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm

"Don was the weakest link in Dokken and we always dreamed of having a different lead singer."

I just don't believe this, I think the we should be changed to I.

Mick Brown is still with Don, and Jeff played quite a while after George left.

I'm not taking Don's side or nothing but I don't believe Don was the weakest link in the band, and all in all, George should appreciate his success with Don.

Don has or had (whatever applies to you, he sounds great to me on Lightning Strikes)
one of the greatest rock vocals ever, and I think he was the strongest link in Dokken for that reason.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Well, post-Lynch Dokken has done far better than what Lynch has done. Lynch Mob was great, if you ignore that mid-period crap, but what else has George done that been that good? Nothing.

I'll take a Lynchless Dokken and be quite content, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Don Dokken is an ass. Our local DJs had a laugh at his expense a few years ago when he demanded they introduce him as "The LEGENDAY" Don Dokken. What an idiot. Also, I have seen Dokken a couple of times and his voice is shot. Done. History.

That being said, I still love the band Dokken. I also like Lynch Mob. In a fight between Lynch and Dokken, I'll side with Lynch.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 pm

The current lineup of Dokken is damn good, Lynch or no Lynch. The last album (LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN) was their strongest in a long time.

Jon Levin's guitar playing sounds a lot like Lynch's anyway. You can almost imagine Don in the studio, hitting him with a stick as he records his guitar parts. "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like George Lynch!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't know. If one of the best rock bands ever is named after you, you're probably a bit of a legend.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The current lineup of Dokken is damn good, Lynch or no Lynch. The last album (LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN) was their strongest in a long time.

Jon Levin's guitar playing sounds a lot like Lynch's anyway. You can almost imagine Don in the studio, hitting him with a stick as he records his guitar parts. "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like George Lynch!"

I can see that!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't know. If one of the best rock bands ever is named after you, you're probably a bit of a legend.

At least in your own mind if not anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Jon Levin's guitar playing sounds a lot like Lynch's anyway.

True.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

At least in your own mind if not anywhere else.

But Don built and maintained this band himself from the late 70's through today and that counts for something. Hell if anyone in Motley Crue can be referred to as "classic" or "legendary" then Don Dokken deserves his place as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DOKKEN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   DOKKEN - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DOKKEN
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next