Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soundgarden

Go down 
+34
corplhicks
Rex
DallasBlack
ZombieHavoc
MEGATRON
jstate
Tur-Thalion
shed-rock
DevZor
SpectreFate
Red Kitty
adrian
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
metalinmyveins
manny
nevermore
Tall Tyrion
the sentinel
James B.
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Shiney
ghost
Mglaffas81
caniplaywithmadness?
scottmitchell74
mc666
Troublezone
DeathCult
rattpoison
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Soundgarden - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Troublezone wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
jstate wrote:
When Louder Than Love came out it was marketed squarely to the metal audience. Soundgarden was considered a "metal" band. Just as Nirvana and Alice In Chains were before they took off. I sometimes feel the whole "grunge" moniker was nothing more than the new marketing buzz term used to distance it from metal. Since the mainstream perception at the time was that metal was "dead".

I could definitely see that being the case. AiC to me, especially, at that time did not register as any different than the other stuff I was listening to. I was into GNR, Crue, Metallica, Megadeth and Faith No More. So when I heard "Man in the Box", I didn't really view it as anything different. Metal. Just no solos, I guess.

What do you mean no solos? Jerry solos on every AIC record.

Ok, no Vinnie Vincent-style solos. Or nothing that sounded that bombastic or whatever, like a metal solo.

I didn't know that soloing had to be "shred" only. I think he's played some pretty good bluesy stuff. (Love Hate Love) from Facelift had a cool BOC type solo. His playing is simple but efficiant IMO.

Ok, well, it's just semantics. All I was saying it that AiC was metal to me, just without that type of solo--that is how my 12-year-old brain perceived things. Did not mean to insenuate that only metal bands could solo (especially since I was saying that AiC were a metal band, even though they didn't have those Vincent type of solos).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
jstate wrote:
When Louder Than Love came out it was marketed squarely to the metal audience. Soundgarden was considered a "metal" band. Just as Nirvana and Alice In Chains were before they took off. I sometimes feel the whole "grunge" moniker was nothing more than the new marketing buzz term used to distance it from metal. Since the mainstream perception at the time was that metal was "dead".

I could definitely see that being the case. AiC to me, especially, at that time did not register as any different than the other stuff I was listening to. I was into GNR, Crue, Metallica, Megadeth and Faith No More. So when I heard "Man in the Box", I didn't really view it as anything different. Metal. Just no solos, I guess.

What do you mean no solos? Jerry solos on every AIC record.

Ok, no Vinnie Vincent-style solos. Or nothing that sounded that bombastic or whatever, like a metal solo.

I didn't know that soloing had to be "shred" only. I think he's played some pretty good bluesy stuff. (Love Hate Love) from Facelift had a cool BOC type solo. His playing is simple but efficiant IMO.

Ok, well, it's just semantics. All I was saying it that AiC was metal to me, just without that type of solo--that is how my 12-year-old brain perceived things. Did not mean to insenuate that only metal bands could solo (especially since I was saying that AiC were a metal band, even though they didn't have those Vincent type of solos).

It's no big deal. I just thought it was strange that you said there was no soloing. I love hearing some shred now and then (Paul Gilbert etc...), but I'm more into players like Tony Iommi.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah, his solos weren't as bombastic, however, it was enough to satisfy my love of solos. Besides, shorter solos tend to be more memorable than long winded ones.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am

The new album is ok. But I would've liked a few heavier tunes in the style of Badmotorfinger included.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 am

I just tried listening to it on Spotify, and I just couldn't get past 4 or 5 songs in. It just wasn't clicking with me at all.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 am

I almost picked it up at Walmart on Saturday...but I was nervous about getting an undisclosed "edited" version...

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Went ahead and got it from Best Buy (none of the Wal-Marts have it). I got the special edition. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but they didn't have the regular version.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

Quote :
It just wasn't clicking with me at all.

Me too. I'm still on the fence about getting it. Listening to several of the samples I can't help but feel this one goes in the "put on hold till it turns up real cheap" file.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 am

I really, really like Chris Cornell on Temple Of The Dog. He is a very powerful singer. Just never got into Soundgarden.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 am

Never been much more than a casual Soundgarden fan. In fact I only just got around to upgrading my old cassette copy of Badmotorfinger to CD a couple of months ago.

Haven't heard anything off the new one yet but I'm in no rush, I'll give it a listen eventually.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 am

James B. wrote:
I really, really like Chris Cornell on Temple Of The Dog. He is a very powerful singer. Just never got into Soundgarden.

Temple Of The Dog and his first solo album are my 2 favorite things he's done...ever. I am a Soundgarden fan too...and to a lesser degree Audioslave...but those 2 albums are the ones I go to usually for a Cornell fix. I love his voice...even his more recent, ragged version.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am

James B. wrote:

If you get chance James B, go back and check out 'Badmotorfinger' and 'Louder then Love' I think you might like them better the second time around
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

Temple Of The Dog and his first solo album are my 2 favorite things he's done...ever. I am a Soundgarden fan too...and to a lesser degree Audioslave...but those 2 albums are the ones I go to usually for a Cornell fix. I love his voice...even his more recent, ragged version.

I guess that I dig Temple Of The Dog so much cause it sounds so genuine and the subject matter hits pretty close to home for me. Struggled with a heroin addiction myself fo years. Thank you Jesus !

My thing with Soundgarden is I couldn't relate to much with what they did. Usually that isn't important, yet somehow it factored in with that particular band.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:53 am

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:

If you get chance James B, go back and check out 'Badmotorfinger' and 'Louder then Love' I think you might like them better the second time around

I might have them both on cassette tape, thanks for the push in that direction Cool

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

Are his solos albums any good? I've heard bit & pieces and wasn't impressed.

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

I thought his first solo album was very good, Euphoria Morning, mostly mellow, introspective singer/songwriter type stuff, but top notch. That's the only one I've heard.

At one point I had the 3 Audioslave CDs, I ended up ripping the songs I liked and made 1 solid compilation disc from it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:06 pm

I think I'm in the minority on this one, but I liked the Audioslave albums. All 3 of them. And I was surprised because I never gave Rage Against The Machine a chance.

I pretty much dismissed the whole rap-rock genre in general back in the day, not to mention Rage's "political agenda". Not my cuppa tea.

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think I'm in the minority on this one, but I liked the Audioslave albums. All 3 of them. And I was surprised because I never gave Rage Against The Machine a chance.

I pretty much dismissed the whole rap-rock genre in general back in the day, not to mention Rage's "political agenda". Not my cuppa tea.

I liked them at the time they came out, just listened to that compilation disc a few nights ago and enjoyed it.

The guitarist drives me nuts after awhile, but the rhythm section is great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Tom Morello (Morella?) has grown on me. I used to think he was annoying, both with his political views and his squeeking, distorted feedback, but oddly enough, after seeing him on "That Metal Show", he came off much more tolerable. And he's carved out a unique sound for himself.

Back to Cornell's solo works, it seems to me that he goes out of his way to make his solo stuff way, way out there from Soundgarden. From the super mellow acoustic stuff to working in hip-hop beats and dance music. That's all well and good if that's what he wants to do, that's what solo albums are meant to do. But I don't know that any of that would appeal to a fella like me.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

I thought his first solo album was very good, Euphoria Morning, mostly mellow, introspective singer/songwriter type stuff, but top notch. That's the only one I've heard.

Yeah, that first one is unique, fresh and honest. I love it....every song. The one after it was a little boring. Then the one he did w/ Timbaland I never bother with because the song "Part Of Me" was horrible.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

Bump for some minor news...

Quote :
Guitarist Kim Thayill recently said: “I’ll be working on compiling the Soundgarden B-Sides box. We have a lot of songs that were released on European and Australian releases, movie soundtracks – various things like that, that have yet to be compiled into album form.”
Sweet! I love those things.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I like that it's a rarities box. Too often a band like Soundgarden (or I should say the record company) takes the easy route with their boxes. Also love that Kim is the one compiling it. Hopefully they'll have some stuff from the vaults too.

I'll also add that King Animal is one of my favorite albums in the last year that has grown to one I love. Went from luke warm at best with the samples to really digging it on repeated listens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

I was a big Soundgarden fan starting around 1989 when Louder Than Love came out and followed them until they split. While I still have good memories I don't really ever find myself in the mood to listen to them. I thought King Animal was a good record but it didn't really re-ignite any desire for Soundgarden to come back into frequent rotation.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I used bang my head HARD to SG, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Can't explain why. Phenomenal band.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 1:30 am

S.D. wrote:
I thought King Animal was a good record but it didn't really re-ignite any desire for Soundgarden to come back into frequent rotation.  
Another rare time we agree. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soundgarden
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next