Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soundgarden

Go down 
+34
corplhicks
Rex
DallasBlack
ZombieHavoc
MEGATRON
jstate
Tur-Thalion
shed-rock
DevZor
SpectreFate
Red Kitty
adrian
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
metalinmyveins
manny
nevermore
Tall Tyrion
the sentinel
James B.
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Shiney
ghost
Mglaffas81
caniplaywithmadness?
scottmitchell74
mc666
Troublezone
DeathCult
rattpoison
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:33 pm

Love this band, one of my fav Metal bands ever.

I recently saw Chris Cornell live solo, and it was great that about two thirds of his set was Soundgarden songs. The guy can still hit those banshee high notes.

As for favourite albums it's tempting to go for something earlier like Ultramega Ok (1988) but i usually give in to the purple and green psychedalic swirl of Superunknown (1994).

It's an album i consider part of a stunning trio of different but similar metal albums of the early 90's. This album and King's X Dogman (1994) and Trouble's Manic Frustration (1992) all embody a great Beatles-Black Sabbath metal psychedalia ethic.

Anyway fav albums? would you like to see a reunion?

Heres a clip of Loud Love from 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ivn4UGnJE
Back to top Go down

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I like 'em too.

Not metal.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:37 pm

I'd LOVE to see a reunion, Soundgarden is another of my top favorites. When it comes to fav albums:

Screaming Life
Ultramega OK
Louder Than Love

Would be my top 3
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:45 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I'd LOVE to see a reunion, Soundgarden is another of my top favorites. When it comes to fav albums:

Screaming Life
Ultramega OK
Louder Than Love

Would be my top 3

Fan of the early stuff i see, cool.

Gun from Louder Than Love is one insanely heavy song, and Cornell's wailing near the end of the song gives me shivers everytime.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Definately not metal but they're alright.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm

It's interesting the not metal comments.

Not metal as in the tight/restricted definiton of 'classic heavy metal' but definately heavy metal in it's 'true' expansive form.

What makes Warrior Soul and King's X a heavy metal band but not Soundgarden?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm

i always considered them an alternative or grunge band that incorporated metal elements into their sound. much like Alice In Chains, Kings X, The Melvins, Faith No More, etc.

whatever, it's not really important as it's all hard rock. that said, Badmotorfinger is a classic.

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:14 pm

mc666 wrote:
i always considered them an alternative or grunge band that incorporated metal elements into their sound. much like Alice In Chains, Kings X, The Melvins, Faith No More, etc.

whatever, it's not really important as it's all hard rock. that said, Badmotorfinger is a classic.

Damn right Badmotorfinger is classic, "JESUS CHRIST POSE"
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Like these:

Screaming Life
Ultramega OK
Louder Than Love

LOVE - Badmotorfinger!!! One of my all-time favorites! Not a bad tune on there!

Quote :
Not metal.

Must disagree. Badmotorfinger is simply Pacific Northwest Heavy Metal!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 pm

The answer is simple... they're Hard Rock. And who ever said King's X is metal?? Metal has a distinctive feel to it that sets it apart from hard rock or grunge etc. They had a few song's that dabbled with a metal sound (outshined,etc) but they definately had that alternative sound for the most part.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Kooky talk! insane Razz Very Happy

I agree Superunknown was much more subdued but I can't wrap my mind around calling Badmotorfinger simply hard rock or alt. rock!!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:39 pm

troublezone wrote:
The answer is simple... they're Hard Rock. And who ever said King's X is metal?? Metal has a distinctive feel to it that sets it apart from hard rock or grunge etc. They had a few song's that dabbled with a metal sound (outshined,etc) but they definately had that alternative sound for the most part.

I think you would find quite a few people who would describe King's X and the related Galactic Cowboys as heavy metal.

Metal surely cant be seperated from other genres by a 'feel'.

Grunge is more a geographical movement than a music genre/sound and heavy metal is a type of hard rock.

Anyway enough of the semantics and more talk of this brilliant band. How about a reunion, do you think it will ever happen?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:30 am

I've always considered KX a hard rock band and GC were metal up to Machine fish but you are set on your opinion so what's the use? A reunion? I doubt it, i think there is some ego trippin going on with Cornell. One more thing... the only band to me that had a metal sound at least their first two records was AIC but they eventually went more alt like the others... Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden. On the other hand geographically undeniable seattle metal like Metal Church and early Queensryche and Forced Entry were in no way ever confused with that grunge sound even though they existed right through the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:31 am

Oh add Sanctuary to that list too.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 am

soundgarden are cool. chris cornell is a great singer. listen to him sing 'slaves and bulldozers.' pretty awesome
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:01 am

Not a fan - That's the only opinion I have of them.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:30 am

I like Superunknown. But that is the only album that I know of them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Why moved?

The Heart Of Metal part of the forum is to talk about hard rock/heavy metal isn't it.

Soundgarden definately meet this criteria, it's funny how the light on their feet Zebra and White Lion get moved from the Rock N' Roll section to the Metal section. And Soundgarden get moved to the Rock N' Roll section from the Metal section.

You know if the Heart Of Metal part of the forum is only for 'traditional' or 'classic' hard rock/heavy metal than you should say so.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Love the GARDEN...

Fave album's are LOUDER THAN LOVE and BADMOTORFINGER...

'Slaves & Bulldozers" may be the coolest song in the world....

Saw the on Lollapalooza in 1992 and they SUCKED....hard. sloppy and noisy and terrible.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 pm

I like Soundgarden well enough but their albums have always been sort of hit or miss for me. Three or four songs I really liked then a bunch of stuff I didn't.

Out of the so-called "grunge" bands, my favorite would be Alice In Chains.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 pm

The only 'Garden disc I own is BADMOTORFINGER; haven't listened to it in awhile but for a period of time in the mid 90s it was all I played!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The only 'Garden disc I own is BADMOTORFINGER; haven't listened to it in awhile but for a period of time in the mid 90s it was all I played!

Dig it out i says!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:54 pm

I don't really care for Soundgarden, but I do like Temple Of The Dog. I can relate to what that album is about.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:55 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Why moved?

The Heart Of Metal part of the forum is to talk about hard rock/heavy metal isn't it.

Soundgarden definately meet this criteria.
i agree...this thread should not have been moved. they definitely fall into the hard rock catagory, no matter how much metal they are.

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Why moved?

Soundgarden definately meet this criteria.
i agree...this thread should not have been moved. they definitely fall into the hard rock catagory, no matter how much metal they are.

This move just boggles the mind
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soundgarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soundgarden   Soundgarden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soundgarden
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next