Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soundgarden Super Deluxe Box Set

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Soundgarden Super Deluxe Box Set Empty
PostSubject: Soundgarden Super Deluxe Box Set   Soundgarden Super Deluxe Box Set Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Short version: It's bad.

Long version: Ok, it looks great, has a lot of interesting content (in theory) and seems to pull together everything a fan of the Superunknown album could want...

And then you put in the Blu-ray thinking you're going to hear some crazy awesome hi-def version of the album that blows your mind, allows you to achieve tantric orgasm, and makes all music sound like it was made by magic elves behind a wall of rainbows... Only to have it sound like you're listening to it on blown out speakers.

Seriously. I had to move to the CD because the hi-def was good at one thing: making me aware of how BAD the remaster/remix was.

Maybe I'm a moron and my setup wasn't right for it, but I've listened to other audio DVDs and Blu-ray discs through my stereo in the past and had no problems. I think this one was seriously that bad and, much as I hate to dig up this rotting corpse, it's this loudness war crap again. When you can tell on the original that the drums weren't overdriven to the point that they sounded fuzzy and the new "better" mix sounds like you were just standing next to an amp stack at a Slayer show, there's a problem.

Anyone else here get burnt on reissues that were billed as a sonic improvement only to have someone crap in your ears for an hour and change? Anyone else pick up this set and have anything to suggest or add to corroborate my experience?

So it's said, I'm sure someone who puts their stuff through a spectral analysis before listening to it probably finds all sorts of sonic sins on the CD, but I found it plenty listenable. It must be said though, I'm probably going to A/B it against the unremastered disc just to see if it's a big difference.
Back to top Go down

Soundgarden Super Deluxe Box Set
Page 1 of 1