Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth

Go down 
+26
mc666
Devin's Child
James B.
brokentulsa
assault_attack
Hadley
scottmitchell74
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Temple of Blood
nevermore
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
manny
akeldama
Wrecked Neck
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Lari
Troublezone
exact33
glassprison
Gilbert
Eyesore
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Iced Earth - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 am

I don't think it's as much a money thing w/ Schaffer as it is a control thing. Rerecording his albums gives him control over those songs whereas Century Media has all the control over them at this point.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am

Troublezone wrote:
So what is gonna happen with your long delayed third album?

It'll be recorded first, before we start any re-recordings.  My goal is to get the 3rd album released in 2018.

Another difference here is that I will be skipping some of the songs and tweaking a bit of the songwriting instead of just re-recording everything straight. I think every songwriter wants to change things as time passes. Don't worry, this isn't a George Lucas thing ....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't think it's as much a money thing w/ Schaffer as it is a control thing. Rerecording his albums gives him control over those songs whereas Century Media has all the control over them at this point.

Sure, and I understand that. Are those the kind of songs that could really get placed on movie soundtracks or commercials though? Kinda doubtful.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39407

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
So what is gonna happen with your long delayed third album?

It'll be recorded first, before we start any re-recordings.  My goal is to get the 3rd album released in 2018.

Another difference here is that I will be skipping some of the songs and tweaking a bit of the songwriting instead of just re-recording everything straight.  I think every songwriter wants to change things as time passes.  Don't worry, this isn't a George Lucas thing ....

As long as you still fire first... Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 am

I understand the "why" that Jon (and other artists in general) feels the need to do this, but I'll stick with my originals, thank you very much.

Lari wrote:
Iced Earth should re-record the debut, then include that as a bonus disc with their next album.

Now THAT would probably sell.

Rage did something similar with re-recorded Avenger tracks as a limited edition bonus disc to their new album, Seasons of the Black.

That's not a bad idea. Re-recording a full six albums seems like a large, time consuming expense with little payoff in my opinion.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Sure, and I understand that.  Are those the kind of songs that could really get placed on movie soundtracks or commercials though?  Kinda doubtful.

I do not disagree. I feel like it's more of a middle-finger to Century Media than anything else.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I do not disagree. I feel like it's more of a middle-finger to Century Media than anything else.

Probably. But come on, CM did A TON for them in the 90s when true metal was DEAD AS A DOORNAIL.

I think now that Jon has his own studio he can spend all the time he wants there, which makes a project like this very feasible. But will it sound as good as those old Morrisound recordings? I'd be surprised if it did.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Probably.  But come on, CM did A TON for them in the 90s when true metal was DEAD AS A DOORNAIL.

Oh I know. I doubt that's his perspective though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm

glassprison wrote:
Even if they did own the rights, how much could they possibly expect from those first few records these days? Further, what are they expecting to earn from the re-recordings vs. the cost of actually going into the studio to do all of them in full? Sounds like a completely ridiculous idea to me.

Very ridiculous idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I think it would be more lucrative to just record an album a year of new material for the next 6 years. It would keep their name out there, which is basically how they've made a career in the first place. How much creativity does it take to crank out a new Iced Earth album anyway?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Lari wrote:
Iced Earth should re-record the debut, then include that as a bonus disc with their next album.

Rage did something similar with re-recorded Avenger tracks as a limited edition bonus disc to their new album, Seasons of the Black.

That's not a bad idea.

Might even reel back in some of their old school fans who haven't been paying attention to Stu-fronted Iced Earth.

Let's say the regular album CD is $15, then sell the 2CD version for $20.95 and you're probably making more profit than selling them separate (I don't think too many IE fans would buy the re-recorded versions separately, but we are suckers for SUPER DELUXE editions!  Razz ).

As for re-recording the other 5 planned discs... maybe instead do a Days of Purgatory II with select tracks from each record, newly done with Stu Block. That could be cool, and again something fans might actually pick up. Especially if you include a previously unreleased song or just a brand new song.

See, I should definitely contact Jon and become his manager.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Lari wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Lari wrote:

That's not a bad idea.

Might even reel back in some of their old school fans who haven't been paying attention to Stu-fronted Iced Earth.

Let's say the regular album CD is $15, then sell the 2CD version for $20.95 and you're probably making more profit than selling them separate (I don't think too many IE fans would buy the re-recorded versions separately, but we are suckers for SUPER DELUXE editions!  Razz ).

As for re-recording the other 5 planned discs... maybe instead do a Days of Purgatory II with select tracks from each record, newly done with Stu Block. That could be cool, and again something fans might actually pick up. Especially if you include a previously unreleased song or just a brand new song.

Is 'Days Of Purgatory' completely rerecorded or were just the vocals replaced?

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I think it would be more lucrative to just record an album a year of new material for the next 6 years.  It would keep their name out there, which is basically how they've made a career in the first place.  How much creativity does it take to crank out a new Iced Earth album anyway?

Also true. Something Wicked parts III-IX coming up in 2019-2026, same old riffs in brand new order + pick a random Priest/Maiden track as a Japanese bonus.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was completely re-recorded. Seems most noticeable on the tracks from the 1st two albums.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Lari wrote:
Also true. Something Wicked parts III-IX coming up in 2019-2026, same old riffs in brand new order + pick a random Priest/Maiden track as a Japanese bonus.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Lari wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Lari wrote:

That's not a bad idea.

Almost completely re-recorded. I think some instrumental tracks were left from original recordings, but they are sufficiently different from the originals as a whole. I mean, otherwise there'd be no purpose in redoing Burnt Offerings tracks like they did.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was completely re-recorded.  Seems most noticeable on the tracks from the 1st two albums.

Yes and some tracks were rearranged, and Jon even changed some lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Even if Jon does go through with this re-recording plan, I doubt I'd re-buy any of them. I've been listening to the original versions of those early albums for so many years now that new ones would never sound "right" to me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Even if Jon does go through with this re-recording plan, I doubt I'd re-buy any of them. I've been listening to the original versions of those early albums for so many years now that new ones would never sound "right" to me.

Yeah, I see no reason to own these if/when they come out.

Honestly, I prefer original mastering over any remasters. But sometimes remasters are the only available copies and/or they're cheaper.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 6:17 pm

I doubt I'd buy any redo of the albums Barlow was on. The only one that really needs to be redone is the debut.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Everybody hates on the debut, haha. Yeah the vocals are an acquired taste (to put it mildly) but I've always liked it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I know this is IE blasphemy, but I don't like Barlow's vocals. I'd probably be very interested in the older material with Stu Block on vocals.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I know this is IE blasphemy, but I don't like Barlow's vocals. I'd probably be very interested in the older material with Stu Block on vocals.

Stu sounds a hell of a lot like Barlow at times now. I mean, on the verses for "The Veil" he sounds exactly like Barlow.

Anyway, if they redo "Dante's Inferno" again, they'd better put that damn chanting back in the middle of the song. The re-recording they did with Stu in 2011 was missing that part, which annoyed me because it's awesome!

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm starting to think Jon Shaffer might have OCD. Before he retires, we'll probably have three versions of every IE album! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I'm starting  to think Jon Shaffer might have OCD. Before he retires, we'll probably have three versions of every IE album!  Razz

It reminds me of how George Lucas kept on going back to the original Star Wars trilogy and tinkering with them to add improved special effects, extra scenes, etc., etc.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth   Iced Earth - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next