Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Christopher Cross > Saxon

Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Well, Christopher Cross did sell over 5 million copies of his debut album, so he's definitely got Saxon beat on record sales. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Did we ever decide who was the first American heavy metal band? I'm tempted to go with Riot.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Legend maybe?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Pentagram?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Legend maybe?

Not a bad call.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I say Blue Cheer. The look, the distortion, the attitude.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
I say Blue Cheer.  The look, the distortion, the attitude.  

All true, however, I think the previous discussion was based around whether the bands in question thought of themselves as heavy metal and embraced the term. Most of those older bands just considered themselves rock.

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:44 pm

I missed that part of the equation. Still, I'd throw Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and MC5 as bands that were essential to starting the heavy rock/metal scene in the States.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Quote :
I'd throw Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and MC5 as bands that were essential to starting the heavy rock/metal scene in the States.

I agree  headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

S.D. wrote:
I missed that part of the equation. Still, I'd throw Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and MC5 as bands that were essential to starting the heavy rock/metal scene in the States.  

This I agree with 100%
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 4:03 am

S.D. wrote:

I agree with you
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Remember the early 2000s when Deadline Records released all those cheapie "tribute" albums performed by rotating casts of out-of-work hair metal dudes, and though most of the covers were played straight, there'd be one totally random "industrial dance remix" jammed in the middle of the running order? Those were fricking hilarious.

As evidence I offer Def Leppard's "Rock Rock Till You Drop," re-imagined as a techno-dance rave-up with Kevin DuBrow (!) on vocals. Try not to spit your beverage all over your monitor.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 2:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Remember the early 2000s when Deadline Records released all those cheapie "tribute" albums performed by rotating casts of out-of-work hair metal dudes, and though most of the covers were played straight, there'd be one totally random "industrial dance remix" jammed in the middle of the running order? Those were fricking hilarious.

As evidence I offer Def Leppard's "Rock Rock Till You Drop," re-imagined as a techno-dance rave-up with Kevin DuBrow (!) on vocals. Try not to spit your beverage all over your monitor.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Am I the only one who dosent like the new Judas Priest and Black Sabbath??
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 7:25 pm

You can answer that question by using the search function and typing in the names of the albums. Like magic old topics about those albums will appear where you can read everyone's thoughts on them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 pm

I hate the new JP but thought the BS one was OK. Probably won't listen to it again for a long time though.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 10:49 am

I thought Redeemer sounded a little more like a Halford solo album than a Priest album but I really like it. It was my second fave album of 2014 behind Riot V.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 10:52 am

I probably have about a half dozen or so of those tributes Deadline put out and yeah, some of the interpretations are feckin' awful. But, hey, some are cool and I bought most of the discs brand new as twofers in box sets for like ten bucks or less. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 am

I really like both 13 and Redeemer of Souls. In fact, I much prefer Redeemer over Angel of Retribution.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:06 pm

I really like about half of Redeemer of Souls, in fact a few songs I think are some of their best in many years. I also enjoyed 13, would have loved it if Bill Ward was on board, but hearing Iommi and Geezer play together is one of my favorite musical things in the world...especially on the bluesy workout of Damaged Soul.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Redeemer of Souls has a weird mix, bad sequencing and is way too long. However, it's still a pretty good album. I would say it's probably better than Angel of Retribution. It would have been a great album is they had pared it down to about 11 tracks and brought the guitars up in the mix.

13 I liked at first, but it had no staying power for me and a recent spin of it left me cold. I preferred the bonus tracks to those on the actual album. I think the album suffers without Bill Ward.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I hate the new JP but thought the BS one was OK.  Probably won't listen to it again for a long time though.

That's pretty much my feelings too. Neither will be in my playlist any time soon.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm with WF on 13. It had no lasting impression on me. After living with it the first week I got it I haven't gone back to it.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Here's the family tree for the band Satan:

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 L4fC3fI
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 15 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next