Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts on humor in metal?

Go down 
+21
QuothTheRaven
ZombieHavoc
EvyMetal
MetalGuy71
sheets
Dark Horseman
Leatherface
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
AchrisK
MetallicSeminarian
80s Metal Lady
SpectreFate
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
allthingsmetal
jstate
Hadley
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Thoughts on humor in metal? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 am

Whats your opinion on humor in metal (ie, joke songs, goofy imagery)? Do you like it or not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 am

Depends on whether it is intentional or unintentional, the latter is much more common than the former. Very Happy

S.O.D. was pretty damn funny, that kind of stuff I enjoy occasionally. Once you move into Gwar territory though it's definitely not my thing.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

If I'm in the proper mood for it. I also like it to be more clever humor ingrained into other elements. Joke songs I feel try too hard often times. Bad News is the perfect example of this. The subtle stuff I find hilarious but the obvious "joke" stuff can be kinda painful.

I also hated the trend of the humor being rooted in general mocking of metal and it's fans. Not that there isn't stuff just asking to be made fun of, but I prefer humor that shows respect or appreciation for what it is joking about.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Typically I do not like if it encompasses all that a band is about or if it seems as though they are trying to be comedians. That being said, I do really SOD. I also like Lich KIng and Gama Bomb who have some humor in their music while still seeming to be serious about what they do.
When I read the topic post the first two examples of what I think is good humor in metal are both from Exodus: "They should call Dr. Ruth on how to give the people the real big screw"
and "It's all Perry Mason's fault"--for those of us who remember Dr. Ruth and Perry Mason.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I stopped with Edguy because they kept having more ridiculous lyrics which tried to be hilarious but failed and were just sort of vulgar and unnecessary. It's cool if it's one song and it works (HIGH SPEEEEEEED ALIEN DRUM BUNNY) but not your whole career (Dream Evil... yuck).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:44 pm

What Geof Tate is doing is pretty darn hilarious (IMHDO)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:45 pm

I dig S.O.D., Scatterbrain and the Mentors, all of which appeal to my inner 14 year old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:45 pm

I can make one exception however about the career thing, most of Tankard's stuff is fairly humorous and it totally works. STAY THIRSTY!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I can make one exception however about the career thing, most of Tankard's stuff is fairly humorous and it totally works. STAY THIRSTY!

Oh yeah, Tankard is good stuff too.

"WE NEED....ANOTHA'...FOCKING...BEEEEEEEER!" headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 pm

The first band I thought of when I read this topic was Steel Panther.

Geez, this is a talented band that writes catchy, memorable songs but insists on making every single song about sex or sophomoric double entendres about sex. I'm no prude and I can sure handle one or two songs like that but whole albums? It gets old fast for me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The first band I thought of when I read this topic was Steel Panther.

Geez, this is a talented band that writes catchy, memorable songs but insists on making every single song about sex or sophomoric double entendres about sex. I'm no prude and I can sure handle one or two songs like that but whole albums? It gets old fast for me.

I like Steel Panther - I can't listen to it day in and out, but it doesn't bug me. I've seen them live a few times and their live shows are better than listening to the albums. They are a band that I will see live every time they come near by, or if I am in LA or Vegas and they are playing I will catch them.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Metal is funny enough on its own. No need to double dip.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 pm

I like it when bands don't take themselves too seriously. Nuclear Assault is a good example. I get more annoyed when bands try too hard to make political statements and become preachy. Get over yourselves. It's rock 'n roll. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I stopped with Edguy because they kept having more ridiculous lyrics which tried to be hilarious but failed and were just sort of vulgar and unnecessary. It's cool if it's one song and it works (HIGH SPEEEEEEED ALIEN DRUM BUNNY) but not your whole career (Dream Evil... yuck).

I agree with you on Edguy. I much prefer their earlier stuff when this seemed to be less of an issue (and I really like "Save Us Now").
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Don't really like much humor in my metal. Hated most of Deliverance's What a Joke. Although I like some early Anthrax, I tire of them easily.

But, yeah, Tankard know how to blend humor and music. Maybe because the music is not funny, only the lyrics are.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Metal is funny enough on its own.

The problem is most metal bands don't realize they're funny. It's totally unintentional. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 am

The jokes get old quickly and limit the lasting appeal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Metal is funny enough on its own.

The problem is most metal bands don't realize they're funny. It's totally unintentional. Very Happy

See post #2.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

I really enjoy a band that can write serious lyrics and tongue-in-cheek stuff. Steel Panther is a bit more than I can handle tho. My twisted sense of humor tends to run on the very dry side so songs like Lich King's Predator and Black Metal Sucks are hilarious. Anthrax's Fight 'em til You Can't and Van Halen's Ice Cream Man are another example of corny lyrics done well. I love the 6 Feet Under cover albums and Ultimatum's cover of Metal Health. To me that is really funny, and you know full well that the band is having a ton of fun just goofing off, yet taking their musicianship very seriously.

On the subject of well written lyrics, I would say Brian "Dexter" Holland (I know, not metal), Mike Muir (On occasion), Ken Casey (another not metal), are some examples.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 am

Bon Scott and Lemmy are the true masters of humorous & simultaneously intelligent lyrics.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 am

S.D. wrote:
Bon Scott and Lemmy are the true masters of humorous & simultaneously intelligent lyrics.

I agree with Lemmy, but what is an example of Bon Scott? TNT or Highway to Hell are the tracks that popped into my head immediately. Addictively catchy but intelligent? AC/DC did have some good word play tho on songs like Stiff Upper Lip, Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Thunderstruck, and Have a Drink on Me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 am

To be as effortlessly witty as Bon Scott retires talent and intelligence. Pick just about any song.

I also need to add Ian Gillan to that list...

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 am

I agree with that. I tend to equate "intelligent" lyrics with lyrics that stimulate my brain, and forget about the quality of the humor or talent that is required just to craft a well written song.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 am

If it's done right, I have no problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

Galactic Cowboys had humor while being serious and it was great music, especially the first two. A song or two is fine but like has been said, don't overdo it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on humor in metal?   Thoughts on humor in metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on humor in metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next