Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 7:49 pm

I really like HitNF. I spun that album a ton when it came out and have vivid memories of listening to it in the car on the way to class. It's, to me anyway, a great example of a band that has certainly departed from their earliest sound but still made a great album. I was with them until Tribe. That was the last "week of release" purchase of a Queensryche album for me.

Rumicen, as for what you said about listening to the whole Naz discography, I did that with Saxon. Up until about 2007 I had never owned any of their albums (now their in my top ten of faves!) and then I found NLTM and jumped in head first. I bought all of their albums in pretty much chronological order and digested each one before devouring the next. I could see and hear where they had changed sound in the eighties and then got heavier in the nineties but I had the benefit of no preconceived notions as I cracked the wrapper on each new disc. Therefore, I love every album by them (one of only 2 bands I can say that about) and b/c I was late to Rock the Nations I never felt the letdown or disgust as an all time fave changed sounds or was "not as Metal" as they once were.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 3:13 am

I also like HiTNF. At the time it came out I was a newcomer to prog and metal, and still kept half an ear on the radio, so the album worked well as a bridge between these new styles of music I was in the process of discovering and the alternative music I was hearing on a daily basis.

Another album which gets some flak because of who put it out is Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity. There was label pressure on them to put out a more commercial album (although the only song under 5 minutes is an instrumental!), and was definitely weaker than Images and Words or Awake, but it's still not a bad album and Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears are up there amongst their best songs.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 7:55 am

The DT album is a great example, Citanul, of the second part of my previous post. You are right, it's not a bad album and has a few hidden gems (Lines in the Sand). But, I was a fan from IaW and was very disappointed when it was a new release. It was nowhere near as good as the previous two albums or the Change of Seasons EP. Of course, in my humble opine, the best was yet to come for DT.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 8:03 am

I haven't gotten to Falling Into Infinity yet, but I've definitely found that you've got one or two ways in which a band selling out still works in the band's favor:

1.) They change their musical approach but keep the subject matter intact;
2.) They TRY to change their subject matter, but turn out to be BAD at it.

In the case of Saxon, you can tell they were AIMING for something more commercial (Priest had the same around Turbo), but they couldn't help but sound like Saxon TRYING to edge into a new area. Somehow, they avoided making cringe-worthy stuff and I think the commercial stuff is pretty awesome (Rock the Nations is a favorite of mine). Just my take though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 11:19 am

I just love when I purchase a "used" cd on-line from a place like Hastings and a brand new, still shrink wrapped cd arrives in the mail.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I just love when I purchase a "used" cd on-line from a place like Hastings and a brand new, still shrink wrapped cd arrives in the mail.

I've had that happen several times recently. it's always a pleasant surprise. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Citanul wrote:
I also like HiTNF.  At the time it came out I was a newcomer to prog and metal, and still kept half an ear on the radio, so the album worked well as a bridge between these new styles of music I was in the process of discovering and the alternative music I was hearing on a daily basis.

Another album which gets some flak because of who put it out is Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity.  There was label pressure on them to put out a more commercial album (although the only song under 5 minutes is an instrumental!), and was definitely weaker than Images and Words or Awake, but it's still not a bad album and Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears are up there amongst their best songs.

Falling Into Infinity is a great album, and pretty much fails at being commercial. In fact, I'd argue it's less commercial than Images & Words.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Runicen wrote:

In the case of Saxon, you can tell they were AIMING for something more commercial (Priest had the same around Turbo), but they couldn't help but sound like Saxon TRYING to edge into a new area.  Somehow, they avoided making cringe-worthy stuff and I think the commercial stuff is pretty awesome (Rock the Nations is a favorite of mine).  Just my take though.

Lol. They started going down the toilet with Crusader and didn't start climbing out of it until Solid Ball of Rock. Come on man, Rock The Nations sucks. Have you heard "Party Til You Puke?" Egads. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 7:38 am

It sucks in the best possible way...

Wait... Maybe I should change my wording... Shocked
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 am

Eyesore wrote:
Citanul wrote:
I also like HiTNF.  At the time it came out I was a newcomer to prog and metal, and still kept half an ear on the radio, so the album worked well as a bridge between these new styles of music I was in the process of discovering and the alternative music I was hearing on a daily basis.

Another album which gets some flak because of who put it out is Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity.  There was label pressure on them to put out a more commercial album (although the only song under 5 minutes is an instrumental!), and was definitely weaker than Images and Words or Awake, but it's still not a bad album and Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears are up there amongst their best songs.

Falling Into Infinity is a great album, and pretty much fails at being commercial. In fact, I'd argue it's less commercial than Images & Words.

This.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 10:41 am

Eyesore wrote:

Only in the sense that it resulted in far less commerce, i.e. far fewer sales.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 11:59 am

Runicen wrote:
It sucks in the best possible way...

Wait...  Maybe I should change my wording...  Shocked

lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Runicen wrote:

In the case of Saxon, you can tell they were AIMING for something more commercial (Priest had the same around Turbo), but they couldn't help but sound like Saxon TRYING to edge into a new area.  Somehow, they avoided making cringe-worthy stuff and I think the commercial stuff is pretty awesome (Rock the Nations is a favorite of mine).  Just my take though.

Lol.  They started going down the toilet with Crusader and didn't start climbing out of it until Solid Ball of Rock.  Come on man, Rock The Nations sucks.  Have you heard "Party Til You Puke?"  Egads. Laughing

Tsk, Tsk. Crusader is a legendary album. And "Down the Toilet"? Are you kidding me? Even Saxon's average albums are better than 95% of what came out during the same time as each release. I thought we were friends, Witchy-Poo.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:02 pm

And as a random thought along the same lines as Sentinel, I took a road trip to Colorado a few years back and listened to every single Annihilator album in chronological order along the way. Schizo-
Deluxe is still my fav.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Lol.  They started going down the toilet with Crusader and didn't start climbing out of it until Solid Ball of Rock.  Come on man, Rock The Nations sucks.  Have you heard "Party Til You Puke?"  Egads. Laughing

Tsk, Tsk.  Crusader is a legendary album.  And "Down the Toilet"?  Are you kidding me?  Even Saxon's average albums are better than 95% of what came out during the same time as each release.  I thought we were friends, Witchy-Poo.

Crusader's a half good album, but they were starting to run out of ideas by that point. Their later 80s albums are not that good and sound forced to me. Obviously they were trying to crack the American market and they weren't really well suited for that task. I love Saxon, but those albums are not very good.

However, I am glad they failed during that period because they gave up their dreams of making it commercially and went back to traditional heavy metal. They were one of the bands that were a bright spot during the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:23 pm

At the same time, Saxon's "classic" albums were FULL of American theme songs trying to break into the US market. Dallas 1pm, The Eagle Has Landed, Midnight Rider, etc. They may have gotten a little more polished production during the mid-80's. But EVERY band did! That does not make Dokken - Under Lock n Key or Krokus - Change of Address toilet albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Shite - Even Motorhead did "Rock n Roll".
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Raven - The Pack is Back????? Anyone????
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm

I don't think American lyrical themes in songs are the same as looking like a glam band, having a polished sound and covering Christopher Cross.

I wouldn't put Rock and Roll in the same class as The Pack Is Back, because The Pack Is Back is not very good and Raven lost all direction and momentum with that album. Luckily they corrected course rather quickly. Rock and Roll had several good songs on it and I don't hear anything commercial about it. If I had to pick a terrible album for Motorhead, I would pick March Or Die.

I prefer Dokken's heavier material to Under Lock and Key, but I don't think Dokken released a bad album in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Had to bring up Christopher Cross, didn't ya.....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:43 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Had to bring up Christopher Cross, didn't ya.....

lol!

I actually think it's a good song for them to cover. Don't tell anybody or you'll ruin my troo cred.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Shake your ass San Francisco bay....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Christopher Cross > Saxon
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Ouch. You are in rare form, ToB!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

blech
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 14 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next