Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 11:28 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Is it really trendy to bag on them? I am asking honestly and not in a smart ass way, I really didn't think it was. In fact, that's why I wrote what I wrote. I definitely do acknowledge their contributions and holding the flag high in a time when it wasn't popular to do so. Cowboys through Driven ruled my world for nearly a decade. I should have clarified more in my previous post that if I were them I would have been trumpeting the fact that I have been here all along and go back to the early eighties and wear my influences proudly on my sleeve as an homage to my faves and persevered through line up changes to reach my goal. This is what baffles me.

In college back in 1992 I went to breakfast in the cafeteria and one of the girls working there saw my Pantera shirt and we struck a conversation. I thought she was messing with me when she told me that CFH was not their first album. I didn't believe her until she brought her albums in from home and then dubbed me copies. I loved it. It was more awesome music from one of my faves.

I agree that they shouldn't disown their past, but I can understand why they did from a marketing standpoint. In the year 2015 it seems completely pointless to not re-release those first four albums.

It's definitely trendy to slam Pantera. Check out the reviews here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pantera/77

Of course, their favorites on that site are Power Metal and Trendkill. Power Metal appeals to the "I love troo arcane steel" crowd and Trendkill appeals to the "I like the grimdark sounds of eternal entropy" crowd.

My real complaint is many people who hate Pantera usually slam them for cultural reasons rather than musical reasons. It's never enough to merely say you don't like their music, it has to be one or more of these reasons:

1) Their fans are all rednecks from the South!
2) I don't like Phil's tough guy antics!
3) Dimebag sux! Dude was not a good guitarist!
4) They stole Exhorder's sound!
5) Only jocks listen to Pantera and jocks beat me up in high school!
6) They created nu-metal!
7) They should be called Glamtera not Pantera!

And so forth and so on.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:11 am

Pantera fans are the worst, with their mob mentality and overall rejection of logic.

It blows my mind how these morons can post on public message boards, or Facebook pages saying "Say another word about Dime, and I'm gonna find you and blow ur brains out with muh shotgun" without getting in trouble with the law.

Hero worship is extremely unnecessary, and I'm sure he wouldn't want people threatening/hurting others in his name.

With that being said, "Cowboys from Hell" is the shit.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 3:39 am

I like Pantera although I did lose interest in them over time.I was a fan the first time I heard Cemetary Gates.Cowboys and Vulgar are great albums.
Of course I like them, I'm a redneck from the south! Haha

Sacrament should put out another album.Haunts of Violence has got to be one of the best albums ever.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 6:50 am

Quote :

Sacrament should put out another album.Haunts of Violence has got to be one of the best albums ever.
YES
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 8:53 am

Quote :
I don't care if you don't like them, but acknowledge what they did.

Most people can't do that. If they don't like it, "it sucks".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:01 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
This isn't directed at the previous two posts specifically, but just on the subject of Pantera generally.

Pantera was one of, if not the most, influential metal bands in the last 25 years.  I like all of their material, but their pre-Atco albums were derivative of popular bands and they didn't come into their own sound until Cowboys.  Nobody sounded at all like them at the time (not even Exhorder) and everybody wanted to sound like them post-1992, but nobody ever managed to replicate them.  They changed the game completely.  I loved them in 1990 and I love them now.  Dime had his own unique and totally gonzo sound.  Phil's lyrics were thought provoking and in no way cheesy.  Rex and Vinnie could lock into a groove like no other band, and they used that ZZ-Top, Texas shuffle to great effect.  They were also proud to be a metal band when the majority of their peers couldn't flee the term metal fast enough.  That meant a lot to fans that felt completely abandoned by the popular music scene.  It might seem dumb now, but it wasn't in '94.    

It has become trendy to bag on them now, but the reasons giving for hating Pantera are usually utter nonsense.  I don't care if you don't like them, but acknowledge what they did.  I hate Rush, but I understand that they are insanely talented, they just don't appeal to my tastes.

Well said. Totally agree.

But I would still love to see those first four albums re-released. Derivative? Yes. Mostly the first three. But they are, in my opinion, still great albums. Really good to great, I should say.

I am a huge fan of Power Metal and I really like the other three.  I would definitely buy official reissues.

Agree with all that's said here. I discovered Pantera in 1992, soon after a friend picked up Vulgar and Cowboys. I heard them at his house and bought them immediately after. Could not get enough. I picked up FBD and GSTK too, though by the time RitS came out, I had fallen out of love with the band. I was out of love with the band for quite some time. Partly due to just overplaying them but also as I mellowed out, what I perceived as the overly macho, tough as nails lyrics, attitude, etc, didn't really appeal to me anymore. A couple of years ago, though, I re-fell in love with them and started listening to the albums almost as much as I did in the early/mid 90s.

There is no better album to drive down the highway wearing no shirt and windows down than Vulgar. I think that's the main reason it was recorded for.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:04 am

Also, as in every Pantera discussion that has come up here ever, I do have to add, I still think they borrowed a bit from Exhorder in the vocal delivery department, for Vulgar only, and no one will ever make me see any differently (in another thread here, there was quite a bit of argument on it, and I got where people were coming from, but just do not agree).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:19 am

I can take or leave most Pantera. I still listen to Cowboys and Power Metal occasionally but that's about all I'll ever need from them. The earlier records are too cheesy and I'm not angry enough for the later stuff. Haha.

The cult of personality that sprung up around Dimebag after his death (while not unexpected, of course) gets a little tiring after a while though. I belong to numerous metal-related groups on Facebook and at least once a week in each group, someone will randomly post a Dimebag photo for no apparent reason (usually with a caption on it like "DIME BAG 4 EVAR! BLACK TOOTH GRIN MUTHAF*CKAS! GETCHA PULL DOOOOOOOD!") and naturally it gets hundreds of "likes" within a few minutes... I'm like "dude, it's been more than ten years. Let him go, for God's sake."

As a certain former member here who shall remain nameless once said, "Dimebag played guitar. He didn't cure cancer." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:08 am

Is "hair metal" an
image or is it a sound
thinking

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:10 am

I don't always mosh
but when I do...
I slam dance
thinking

A possible quote from a drunk Johnny B. from the Twins

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:19 am

Projects in the Jungle is the Pantera album I find myself listening to the most.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:51 am

It took me a while but Thin Lizzy finally clicked with me. They're fast becoming one of my favorites.

Last edited by MetallicSeminarian on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:14 pm

I know a lot of people do not like Super Collider but I found it enjoyable.

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Thelemech wrote:
I know a lot of people do not like Super Collider but I found it enjoyable.

+1  Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 506406
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Two bands I never "got" were Fates Warning and Dream Theater. On paper they both seem like they'd be up my alley but I've given them both numerous tries over the years and I'm always like "Meh (shrugs)."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Two bands I never "got" were Fates Warning and Dream Theater. On paper they both seem like they'd be up my alley but I've given them both numerous tries over the years and I'm always like "Meh (shrugs)."

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:15 pm

I picked up a few Dream Theater albums but like both of you they never really inspired me too multiple listens of them.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:19 pm

James B. wrote:
Is "hair metal" an
image or is it a sound
thinking

If everyone had shaved heads
(like Bob Kulick and John McCoy)
back then
would it have been called "bald metal"?
thinking
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Besides Pull Me Under, I could never really get into Dream Theater either.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I feel the same about Dream Theater. Now Fates Warning, I love them. Especially the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:45 pm

I've given DT more of a chance that FW, but neither really appealed to me either.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Also, as in every Pantera discussion that has come up here ever, I do have to add, I still think they borrowed a bit from Exhorder in the vocal delivery department, for Vulgar only, and no one will ever make me see any differently (in another thread here, there was quite a bit of argument on it, and I got where people were coming from, but just do not agree).

The only real reason people say Pantera ripped off Exhorder is the vocals Phil Anselmo had on the albums from Vulgar Display of Power onward (though there were hints of that vocal style on both Power Metal and Cowboys From Hell in some songs).

If Slaughter in the Vatican was an instrumental album, no one would accuse Pantera of ripping off Exhorder.

The Law, Exhorder's second album, does have some similarities to Pantera here and there, but Vulgar Display of Power was actually released a couple of months before The Law was!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Required Fields wrote:
If Slaughter in the Vatican was an instrumental album, no one would accuse Pantera of ripping off Exhorder.

I agree. I did specify that it was vocal delivery where I saw similarities. But I feel the vocal delivery on Vulgar borrows a bit from Vatican. And really only on that album. Phil switches his vocal styles a lot, and while he always sounds like the same dude, he never sounds like he's doing the same thing to me.

It could be coincidence...I just doubt it is. Either way, as I always say, I don't even care. It does not affect my enjoyment of either band in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Armored Saint's new album is amazing. I can't believe how good it is.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 2:01 pm

On a side note of the Exhorder/Pantera thing...

I remember I was at a friend's house a number of years ago, and a mix CD was on with a bunch of metal songs, one of which was Exhorder's cover of "Into the Void". Someone asked if it was Pantera covering Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next