Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 2:01 am

Kevin Shirley is terrible.  Please, Iron Maiden, try somebody else, anybody else.  I would love to have a modern Iron Maiden album that doesn't sound like a vintage AM alarm clock radio.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 2:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
Kevin Shirley is terrible.  Please, Iron Maiden, try somebody else, anybody else.  I would love to have a modern Iron Maiden album that doesn't sound like a vintage AM alarm clock radio.  Very Happy

Is Martin "The Ninja" Birch still alive?
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Cannabis Corpse is funner, funnier and better than Cannibal Corpse.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 7:01 pm

The last two Dragonforce albums are superior to the "ultra high speed blur" stuff that got them famous. Theyve gotten to a more well-rounded power metal style, though they still have fast songs, they arent the ludicrous speed of Inhuman Rampage or Ultra Beatdown.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 7:04 pm

Hadley wrote:
The last two Dragonforce albums are superior to the "ultra high speed blur" stuff that got them famous. Theyve gotten to a more well-rounded power metal style, though they still have fast songs, they arent the ludicrous speed of Inhuman Rampage or Ultra Beatdown.
This. The Power Within is a fantastic album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 7:43 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Hadley wrote:
This. The Power Within is a fantastic album.

Thirded!

Some random metal thoughs of my own:

They call themselves Pretty Maids, but they are some ugly dudes (talented but very rough looking).

How about a tour featuring Axle Rose's Guns & Roses and Geoff Tate's Queensryche? Call it the Douchebags Of Metal.

Is there any ugly or fat female fronted symphonic bands? They all seem to range from mildly pretty to drool inducing sexy.

Why does most grindcore consist of blood and guts lyrics? Even many of the Christian grindcore bands I've come across seem to use gruesome imagery. Wouldn't a band want to stand out by going in another direction?

Many metal bands are accused of being sexist because they display women as sex objects but if an all female band did that, they'd be called empowered.

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 am

The Runaways: Not that good.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 1:33 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Many metal bands are accused of being sexist because they display women as sex objects but if an all female band did that, they'd be called empowered.

There's a thin line here, and obviously scantily clad women have been a part of rock n' roll and metal for a long time (good or bad), but there's a huge difference between a female rocker--or any woman for that matter--choosing to dress however she wants (and for whatever reason she wants--even if it's just because she wants dudes to think she's hot) than some of the imagery insinuating...male ownership and dominance over women.

Again thin line...most of it is just to get young dudes to buy records or request videos...like Whitesnake. Some of it just crosses over into questionable territory. It can be kind of a bummer when I think about it, so I try not to and just listen to the music that's good.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 1:45 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

There's a thin line here, and obviously scantily clad women have been a part of rock n' roll and metal for a long time (good or bad), but there's a huge difference between a female rocker--or any woman for that matter--choosing to dress however she wants (and for whatever reason she wants--even if it's just because she wants dudes to think she's hot) than some of the imagery insinuating...male ownership and dominance over women.

Again thin line...most of it is just to get young dudes to buy records or request videos...like Whitesnake. Some of it just crosses over into questionable territory. It can be kind of a bummer when I think about it, so I try not to and just listen to the music that's good.

Oh, I didn't mean them using their own bodys as sex objects. I meant that if an all female band used men as sex objects and showed woman dominance over them, they'd be called empowered.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 1:50 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean them using their own bodys as sex objects. I meant that if an all female band used men as sex objects and showed woman dominance over them, they'd be called empowered.

Ahhh ok, I get you.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Maybe but even then it wouldn't come with all of that history of actual dominance and actual ownership. The fact is that men are in a position of power over women, they always have been and crap like this kind of glorifies that fact.

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Savage_Grace_Master2

This however, I see no problem. In fact Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  

And then there's the school of thought that metal is absolutely supposed to be highly offensive at ALL times. None of us advocate murder or violence towards anyone and contrary to popular belief, I don't really worship the devil either, but I own records that bang on about that stuff.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Those wild Savage Grace boys. Heh.

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 SavageGrace_SameKSL2840

But in seriousness, yeah I agree with Boris, the precedent really informs stuff like this. A woman can be empowered by dominating a man (in this popular entertainment scenario) because the history is men dominating women...not just in entertainment, but in life. Everyone has problems, but perspective is key.

But the thing about how none of us advocate murder and so on...that is, of course, true. But the number of dudes in the world, metal or bros or frat dudes or old men or your average dude on the street, that has no problem with or fully gets off on (or at the very least has no opinion on) women as sex objects or being dominated or treated like pieces of meat that exist for our pleasure...I'm positive that number is pretty high.

I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though because I write that sort of thing off in all the horror movies I watch as just being intrinsic to the genre.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Well if men and women are equal then both scenarios are wrong. One does not justify the other.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Well if men and women are equal then both scenarios are wrong. One does not justify the other.

Men and women aren't equal in society, not even close! The gap has closed a little but equality??
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Men and women aren't equal in society, not even close! The gap has closed a little but equality??

Did I say that the are completely equal in society?? Read my statement properly before you get your panties in a wad. I meant that the philosophy (the one people like you claim to have-and I too believe they are equal as human beings) is that we are equal. With that philosophy, bot scenarios are wrong.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Did I say that the are completely equal in society?? Read my statement properly before you get your panties in a wad. I meant that the philosophy (the one people like you claim to have-and I too believe they are equal as human beings) is that we are equal. With that philosophy, bot scenarios are wrong.

"Well if men and women are equal"

You didn't say any of the other stuff, just that. Now you are resorting to insults (people like me? What on earth do you think you know about me?)
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

You didn't say any of the other stuff, just that. Now you are resorting to insults (people like me? What on earth do you think you know about me?)

People who lean to the left. I've read many of your past posts on political issues and that's what I've gleaned from them. I said IF men and women are equal. I didn't say since they are. Also I didn't insult you, I was just referencing the fact that you got angry with me for no reason whatsoever. Had you replied calmly I probably would have not said it that way. Instead you got belligerent with me and I will not stand for that.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

People who lean to the left. I've read many of your past posts on political issues and that's what I've gleaned from them. I said IF men and women are equal. I didn't say since they are. Also I didn't insult you, I was just referencing the fact that you got angry with me for no reason whatsoever. Had you replied calmly I probably would have not said it that way. Instead you got belligerent with me and I will not stand for that.

What on earth are you talking about. If you read disagreement as anger or belligerence then you need to learn the English language. Stand for it or don't stand for it, it makes absolutely no difference to me.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:10 pm

"I am become death - Destroyer of threads"
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Just checked out Fates Warning's Inside Out. I'm totally digging it. I'm finding that I like all the eras of the band I've heard so far.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Worship her or die!!

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

What on earth are you talking about. If you read disagreement as anger or belligerence then you need to learn the English language. Stand for it or don't stand for it, it makes absolutely no difference to me.

I understand English perfectly. Exclamation points and double question marks indicate anger. If anybody needs to learn something, you need to learn proper punctuation. If you weren't being an ass before you sure as hell are now and I don't need the aggravation of dealing with the likes of you. I have enough stress in my damn life.

Reply if you will but I'm out of here*.

*To the other HoM members: I am still a part of this board I'm just leaving this particular thread.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 3:36 am

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 775710
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 8:38 am

Subject matter of a more controversial nature always creates beef because there are people who can accept that something can portray an idea, a behavior or whatever and not be a propaganda piece for it. If you listen to Cannibal Corpse, you can bet money that nobody is endorsing necrophilia or whatever in the band. It's over-the-top. It's fiction.

Now, where is the line? Sabaton can write songs about the Wehrmacht in WWII from a historical perspective, but there are bands out there who would probably take a more serious, "Remember the Nazis? Good times!" stance on those events and that's less easy to take without feeling like you're endorsing some pretty ugly ideas.

Ditto for the gender stuff. It's one thing when it's a song about crazy times with fast women sung by dudes who are married with kids and another entirely when it's an accused rapist or whatever.

This might be a bit rambly, but I think the point is in there (somewhere).

I will say I generally subscribe to something like Dallas' view that if it's wrong for men to do something, it's equally wrong for women to do it - not empowering; but that's a really broad strokes argument and needs more detail - which I'm not going to derail this thread further with.

Where does everyone else draw the line between, "Meh, this song is about horrible stuff, but I can tell it's not serious so it's ok to be entertained by it," and "Holy crap, I feel dirty?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 10 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next