Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Sam Dunn didn't invent the "Noowobbum" pronunciation...he uses it because it was already coined that way.

I had never heard that before I watched Metal Evolution.  That pronunciation is absurd.  

Tell it to the English...they coined the genre, the acronym and the enunciation...

My English wife has never head that pronunciation.  

So? There's shit in America I'm sure you or I have never heard of. lol!

I think it's funny this bugs you so much. Razz

She was actually aware of the movement at the time - being the right age and from London - so I would defer to her.

It bugs me because it's stupid and Sam Dunn is supposed to be an expert on Metal.    

Haha!! Wow...OK.

The term was coined later as a way to shorten the speech...a nickname...you know, like people do? Like we say "Po-Tus" for President Of The United States (POTUS). Who said Sam Dunn was an expert? He's a fan with a Cultural Anthropology degree who just made educational documentaries about music. He had to ask questions...if he was en expert, he could have just lectured to the camera alone for 2 hours.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:21 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Manowar is one of the worst bands in history. AGREE!

Belladonna isn't the world's greatest singer, but this is thrash metal. At least his vocals on Spreading gives the music a melodic edge some thrash bands are missing. AGREE

The Dark Saga is one of Iced Earth's best albums but SWTWC is one of their worst.  AGREE first part; DISAGREE!!!!! second part

Corrosion of Conformity's self-titled kicks major booty. No comment.  I really only like Wiseblood from CoC

Gary Cherone was the best singer Van Halen ever had who unfortunately sang on their worst album. AGREE

Most live albums suck.  DEFINITELY AGREE!!!!!

I still hold out hope for a great Metallica album (Death Magnetic, while containing some great ideas, was not a great album). MEH!

I am crazy excited for Nile's next album. Pass.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:23 pm

NWOBHM was my introduction to metal, I was a huge fan since 1980. I have read up on the genre and heard countless bands talk about it, I hung around with NWOBHM fans since I was 10 and I have lived in England my whole life and I have never heard it used by anyone in the U.K.

Maybe it was used where Sam Dunn grew up. In which case

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Sam Dunn didn't invent the "Noowobbum" pronunciation...he uses it because it was already coined that way.

I had never heard that before I watched Metal Evolution.  That pronunciation is absurd.  

Tell it to the English...they coined the genre, the acronym and the enunciation...

My English wife has never head that pronunciation.  

So? There's shit in America I'm sure you or I have never heard of. lol!

I think it's funny this bugs you so much. Razz

She was actually aware of the movement at the time - being the right age and from London - so I would defer to her.

It bugs me because it's stupid and Sam Dunn is supposed to be an expert on Metal.    

Haha!! Wow...OK.

The term was coined later as a way to shorten the speech...a nickname...you know, like people do? Like we say "Po-Tus" for President Of The United States (POTUS). Who said Sam Dunn was an expert? He's a fan with a Cultural Anthropology degree who just made educational documentaries about music. He had to ask questions...if he was en expert, he could have just lectured to the camera alone for 2 hours.

I am sure many view him as an expert on the subject and I am aware of his credentials and work. I am not sure of your point here.

Hey, maybe it's a Canadian thing? Maybe it's a northern UK or Midlands thing? Either way, it bugs the hell out of me.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
NWOBHM was my introduction to metal, I was a huge fan since 1980. I have read up on the genre and heard countless bands talk about it, I hung around with NWOBHM fans since I was 10 and I have lived in England my whole life and I have never heard it used by anyone in the U.K.

Maybe it was used where Sam Dunn grew up. In which case

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:29 pm

http://nostalgiacentral.com/music/music-genres/new-wave-british-heavy-metal-nwobhm/

This UK website states how it's pronounced....and I doubt Sam Dunn put them up to it.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:29 pm

What does the name Leatherwolf mean? Is it a wolf made of leather? A wolf wearing leather? Baffling.

Great band despite the name.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
http://nostalgiacentral.com/music/music-genres/new-wave-british-heavy-metal-nwobhm/

This UK website states how it's pronounced....and I doubt Sam Dunn put them up to it.

When was that articled authored? Are they saying that NWOBHM was pronounced that at the time or currently? This is hardly dispositive.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

When was that articled authored?  Are they saying that NWOBHM was pronounced that at the time or currently?  This is hardly dispositive.

I've found forum chatter via Google that goes back to 2008 or so with folks like you claiming they never heard of it and it's stupid countered by other folks, in UK and NZ, who say that's always how they've heard it and it goes back years. It's like NASA or NATO...wasn't supposed to be a word but got an enunciation anyway.

All I'm saying is A- Sam Dunn didn't invent it and B- just because your wife never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

When was that articled authored?  Are they saying that NWOBHM was pronounced that at the time or currently?  This is hardly dispositive.

I've found forum chatter via Google that goes back to 2008 or so with folks like you claiming they never heard of it and it's stupid countered by other folks, in UK and NZ, who say that's always how they've heard it and it goes back years. It's like NASA or NATO...wasn't supposed to be a word but got an enunciation anyway.

All I'm saying is A- Sam Dunn didn't invent it and B- just because your wife never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I am willing to grant that such a pronunciation exists and I am willing to grant that Sam Dunn didn't invent it.  I referred to my wife because you claimed that was the accepted UK pronunciation, which it most certainly is not.  However, it appears that regional variations exist and Dunn's pronunciation is one of those.  I think it sounds moronic.  

To recap my position is this:

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 91sn32Q
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
What does the name Leatherwolf mean?  Is it a wolf made of leather?  A wolf wearing leather?  Baffling.

I concur. Most definitely a wolf who wears leather. Just like the Fonz; except he's a wolf.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:45 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
What does the name Leatherwolf mean?  Is it a wolf made of leather?  A wolf wearing leather?  Baffling.

I concur. Most definitely a wolf who wears leather. Just like the Fonz; except he's a wolf.

Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Also, if I recall correctly, Bruce Dickinson pronounced "Noowobbum" in A Headbanger's Journey as well...he had to have heard it from somewhere.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Did any other 80s metal bands benefit more from the 90s metal slump than Overkill, Testament and Saxon?  All three persevered and released quality albums during that  90s without altering their sound drastically (Demonic being the exception). Did any other band do this and have as much success?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:51 pm

I don't think Spinal Tap is hilarious. I get it, I just don't think it's that funny.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Did any other 80s metal bands benefit more from the 90s metal slump than Overkill, Testament and Saxon?  All three persevered and released quality albums during that  90s without altering their sound drastically (Demonic being the exception). Did any other band do this and have as much success?

Dude, f'n 'I Hear Black' and 'Low' are two of my favorite 90s albums...killer stuff!!!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Running Wild was consistently great through much of the 90s, but I don't think they had the success of the three you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Dude, f'n 'I Hear Black' and 'Low' are two of my favorite 90s albums...killer stuff!!!

Excellent albums.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

It might not be that cool, it might be a wolf that wears this

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Accept_-_Balls_to_the_Wall

cue discussion about how all wolves dress like this in the U.K  lol!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's what my wife told me. Razz
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Uncle Saxon is right, Iron Maiden make Kiss look like amateurs when it comes to merchandising.  Amazingly, they never catch any flak for it.  

Bringing 2012 back into fashion!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Uncle Saxon is right, Iron Maiden make Kiss look like amateurs when it comes to merchandising.  Amazingly, they never catch any flak for it.  

Bringing 2012 back into fashion!

Boom!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's what my wife told me.  Razz

That's not a wolf, that's a Bear!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Listening to Bonded By Blood right now and eating Honey Nut Cheerios. Life is good my Metal Brothers!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:05 pm

And my "metal thought"? Alice Cooper would have been a blip on the radar without Hunter/Wagner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next