Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Priest Album is Finished!

Go down 
+50
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
jstate
bass63
TrogDawn
iamrockerfun
Shawn Of Fire
Glower
onrypt
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Lovecraft
Wayne
manny
ZombieHavoc
springozzy
Rex
brokentulsa
Eyesore
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Runicen
deathisgain
mr.electric39
nevermore
Vexer6
glassprison
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mc666
corplhicks
Lari
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
choosemetal
Witchfinder
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 7:06 am

Best Priest album since Jugulator.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 7:30 am

It's a good album overall, but the kick drums sound buried in the mix. There's no excuse for bad production when they are on a major label with a big budget.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

The production - at least on my car stereo - gave the impression that you had EQ "cut outs" for two guitars, bass, drums, and vocals. It was pretty no-frills. What was interesting is that, even though it was clearly punched into the red, the instruments never sounded like they were fighting with each other.

Granted, it's kind of a blunt instrument as production goes, but I thought it was kind of "brickwalling done right."
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 am

I think this album blows away Angel of Retribution.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I think this album blows away Angel of Retribution.

I don't know about blows away, but I do like it better than AoR and anything since Painkiller.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 9:39 am

007 wrote:
Oh and I have to say the more I listen to Redeemer,the more I like it. It's a definite grower.

This.  New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 604261 

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I've been taking my time with this album. I got it the day it was released, so that's 8 days now, and I'm down to the 5 tracks on the second disc. I wanted to hear the earlier tracks again and again repeatedly so I only got to 6 tracks, I think, the first night. And since then it's been like a track or two a day. I've been savoring them, like a bottle of rare scotch.

So now it's the second disc. I think I'll play at least the first two tracks a few times tonight and tomorrow.

I think it'll be a bit sad when I finally reach the end. Redeemer of Souls is quite possibly the last Priest album ever. Not much left to "unwrap" for me. I wish the album would go on forever...

Favourite tracks so far: Halls of Valhalla (sounds like Kenziner), Sword of Damocles (tasty and fresh, Faulkner is great), Cold Blooded (a change of pace)

Faulkner sounds awesome! He's in the left speaker, right? Just destroys everything, and kind of takes over.

The last three songs of the first disc are at a handicap for me, since I've only played them for a couple of days now. So I didn't name any, but in general I think the album is getting better towards the end. The only tracks I don't like a lot so far are the opener Dragonaught, the title track #2, and maaybe Metalizer #9. Everything else is strong. And with the length of the album, that means there's a lot of good stuff!

I've gotten used to the "new Rob" and to me he sounds better now with his limited range than he was with trying forcefully be what he cannot be anymore (he already sounded strained on Angel of Retribution). He's pretty melodic here and uses his voice to complement the songs. If I want the 70's & 80's Rob, I just pop in Stained Class or Defenders of the Faith.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 am

I don't like that "March of the damned" song.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 11:48 am

Lari wrote:

Faulkner sounds awesome! He's in the left speaker, right? Just destroys everything, and kind of takes over.

Yep - he also seems to be higher in the mix than Glen too (which surprised me.) I really like his playing.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't have a problem with the production. You just need good headphones or up the volume, and the guitars come out and everything comes alive. Just the way I like it. I like the little differences between the sound of each song, giving it a lively atmosphere.

With a nice variety of styles and songs, the length is the real best part. Short, punchy songs, and a lot of them. Everyone can compile their own set of songs to listen to - and change things up according to what kind of Priest they want to hear.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 4:51 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Lari wrote:

Yep - he also seems to be higher in the mix than Glen too (which surprised me.) I really like his playing.

I wonder if that was done on purpose to highlight the new guy ?
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I haven't purchased this yet, but I was very underwhelmed by the two tracks that were prereleased.... I will probably grab this release since so many have given this a thumbs up.... But i've been pretty underwhelmed by the stuff since painkiller.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 1:55 pm

I've now played the entire album through, bonus disc included, with good headphones enough times to 'know' all the tracks quite well.

I'll grade the tracks, just because in a few years time it will be fun to see what my initial reaction to each song was like.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 pm

I have spun it twice, yet to get into it, maybe after a few spins, it might be more interesting album for me.

Surprising thing is that after I got the new album, I have been playing British Steal and Screaming for Vengeance more.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm

opinion of new album aside....

Just watched Priest give the new kid (Faulkner) a custom painted Les Paul done by Kounts Kustoms on History Channel. When I can find some photos, I'll post em. It was top shelf (IMHDO)

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Lari wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:
Debuted at #6 with 32,000 copies sold. Wow, sales ARE down across the board these days.
Nostradamus sold 42,000 copies in US in its first week.

I wonder if that is actually 21,000 copies because Nostradamus was a double album - or is that not how they count sales anymore?

Well, the free ticket to the Masters Of Metal concert (Judas Priest, Heaven And Hell, Motorhead, and Testament) probably didn't hurt the sales Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:35 am

This album is a grower for sure. Wasn't much impressed upon the first spin, but repeated listens, especially cranked in the car with the volume up and the pedal down, it's got classic Priest all over it. Me likee!!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 pm

I can't stop listening to it.  New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 604261 

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Me like

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 am

I'm digging what I'm hearing so far.... but.....

The Sword of Damolces??? how the blazes do you make that phrase a chorus??? lol.... sort like Loch Ness.... Loch Ness.....???? anyway I digress....

The songs are much better this time at least compared to Nostradamus.....

But the production is still lacking to my ears.... The guitars are thin and nasal sounding, Never been a big fan of Tipton's tone but this time it just seems that they aren't prominent in the mix.... whether its his eq or the mastering eq or just the engineer who should be shot.... the drums are fine and Ian's bass sounds solid.... The guitar should be prominent and when I listen in my car (alpine 3 ways).... it just sounds lost....

Rob sounds good....

November 16 in San Jose, CA .... some friends are already hitting me up to go....so perhaps I will.... Never seen Priest..... I must admit....seen lots of bands some more than once but never Priest for some reason....

Anyway I'll keep spinning this dity.... got the deluxe version but havent spun disc 2 yet....

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 am

Did anyone else notice that Rob is really pushing his range to the max in the second half of the album? There are a few tracks where I was genuinely shocked he was reaching for, let alone hitting some of the notes in the vocal.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 pm

didnt spin it after few times. didnt catch me as i expected so it means it is on the same row as Nostradamus. im gonna buy a shirt with the cover thats all Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Okay, so it took about a month of repeated listens (and EQ fiddling), but this album has really grown on me, and I love it. It really is a great Priest album. Took a while for me to recognize it as such, but it's all latched on and I can really groove to it. Seriously, every song on the first disc is either good or great. There are no bummers. Can't say I've really soaked in the second disc, but overall I'm happy. It was well worth the money and I feel that same power listening to it that can only come from a Priest record.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:45 am

I can see this album being in my top 3 of 2014. So far, there has been a lot of duds in my opinion. But this one has gotten repeated spins and the songs are sticking with me long after the disc is over.

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm

This album isn't really good. Apart from "Battle Cry" and some others, there isn't much that's really worth checking out. This is just a continuation of the Angel of Retribution style, only with duller production and more uninspired songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Priest Album is Finished!
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next