Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Priest Album is Finished!

Go down 
+50
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
jstate
bass63
TrogDawn
iamrockerfun
Shawn Of Fire
Glower
onrypt
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Lovecraft
Wayne
manny
ZombieHavoc
springozzy
Rex
brokentulsa
Eyesore
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Runicen
deathisgain
mr.electric39
nevermore
Vexer6
glassprison
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mc666
corplhicks
Lari
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
choosemetal
Witchfinder
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Lari wrote:
Yeah, but I was talking about the "Loch Ness, confess" part that sticks to your head. I don't even remember those lyrics you posted.

Rob's addressing the lake, not the monster.

Rob's addressing the lake about the monster.

Either way, that song is a steaming turd, and a harbinger of the dumpster fire that was Nostradamus.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 8:21 pm

You know what I thought would be addressed by now? Why KK really left.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 10:58 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I can honestly say that I never gave it any more thought than what he stated. He just wanted to retire and go out on a good note. If there was anything more to that story, it probably would've surfaced by now.

Quote :
a harbinger of the dumpster fire that was Nostradamus.

Not sure why I find that quote so funny, but I do. And for the record, I like Loch Ness.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:03 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I think he's just more interested in running his golf resort and spending time with his family than he is in touring the world these days.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 9:28 am

Witchfinder wrote:

A beastly head of onyx
With eyes set coals of fire
It's leathered hide glides glistening
Ascends the heathered briar

That's rather poetic
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 am

I'm rather shocked that no other English metal band hadn't written a song before this about ol' Nessy! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:20 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Either way, that song is a steaming turd, and a harbinger of the dumpster fire that was Nostradamus.

That's really not fair. Dumpster fires provide a lot of warmth to hobos in the winter. Razz
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:51 am

Runicen wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's really not fair.  Dumpster fires provide a lot of warmth to hobos in the winter.  Razz

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 2:21 pm

I struggle to see how someone can find NO redeeming qualities in Nostradamus or Lochness unless they are incapable of anything but hyperbole.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I struggle to see how someone can find NO redeeming qualities in Nostradamus or Lochness unless they are incapable of anything but hyperbole.

I found nothing to like about "Lochness." I was cringing the entire time I listened to it the first time and avoided it thereafter. Nostradamus was a bloated mess and a career misstep. Frankly, it was a baffling choice for Priest to attempt a double concept album. Priest are my favorite band, but I could not stomach that release and found it to be preposterous.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 3:27 pm

I thought the music in Lochness was good. You would hate it even if it was untitled and had no vocals/lyrics whatsoever? It's still better written than most any other current traditional/power metal band's music is. Nowhere near as generic as most of that scene is these days.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I thought the music in Lochness was good.  You would hate it even if it was untitled and had no vocals/lyrics whatsoever?  It's still better written than most any other current traditional/power metal band's music is.  Nowhere near as generic as most of that scene is these days.

I found it far too long at nearly 13:30 and in need of judicious trimming. As a purely instrumental track it's still boring. I am sure that there's probably a good 5 minute track in there, but we'll never know.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Quote :
in need of judicious trimming

One epic track per album released every few years isn't too much to ask from a listener.

I don't see how you can claim it's boring and praise such generic power metal so highly. I guess simply because it comes in under the 5 minute mark. Talk about some of the most cookie-cutter, played out, uncreative guitar patterns. Tipton is light years above most of his peers.

Nostradamus took a lot of time to grow on me, admittedly, although I immediately recognized the quality on a few of the tracks. I really didn't want to hear a double album from any band, and still don't I guess. But really it is a good album for the more patient metal head. I love the production in it and the orchestration with the keys, which are a nice touch that JP doesn't often have. This is one of the few albums I've done a 180 on, from "hater" (to a degree) to a defender.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
in need of judicious trimming

One epic track per album released every few years isn't too much to ask from a listener.

I don't see how you can claim it's boring and praise such generic power metal so highly.  I guess simply because it comes in under the 5 minute mark.  Talk about some of the most cookie-cutter, played out, uncreative guitar patterns.  Tipton is light years above most of his peers.

Nostradamus took a lot of time to grow on me, admittedly, although I immediately recognized the quality on a few of the tracks.  I really didn't want to hear a double album from any band, and still don't I guess.  But really it is a good album for the more patient metal head.  I love the production in it and the orchestration with the keys, which are a nice touch that JP doesn't often have.  This is one of the few albums I've done a 180 on, from "hater" (to a degree) to a defender.

Yes, it's too much to ask of me to listen to a 13:30 long song that sucks. I don't consider it epic, I consider it bad. It doesn't hold my interest at all.

I praise "generic power metal?" That's news to me.

If anything Nostradamus is Priest copying the Power Metal that was popular at the time.

If you enjoy it, that's great. Continue enjoying it. I'll look elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Quote :

Well of course it is.

Quote :
If anything Nostradamus is Priest copying the Power Metal that was popular at the time.

Conceptually perhaps. Musically? No way.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :

Well of course it is.

Quote :

Conceptually perhaps.  Musically?  No way.  

Which generic power metal is that again?

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

You want a list from your blog?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Hmmm....

I guess?

I don't think I review much power metal at all, but that's just me. You'll probably enlighten me about inventive guitars or somesuch.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Hmmm....  

I guess?

I don't think I review much power metal at all, but that's just me.  You'll probably enlighten me about inventive guitars or somesuch.  

I say "power metal" but that to me means heavy metal, US power metal, traditional metal, what have you.

So NIGHT DEMON is a great place to start ...

This is some of the laziest songwriting that I have heard. One day there will be an app that generates albums like this with a button click. Like a crappy DIAMOND HEAD with a lot less personality and creativity.

Just listen to that first song for example and tell me that is more creative than the music on "Lochness".
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Hmmm....  

I guess?

I don't think I review much power metal at all, but that's just me.  You'll probably enlighten me about inventive guitars or somesuch.  

I say "power metal" but that to me means heavy metal, US power metal, traditional metal, what have you.

This is some of the laziest songwriting that I have heard.  One day there will be an app that generates albums like this with a button click.  Like a crappy DIAMOND HEAD with a lot less personality and creativity.

Just listen to that first song for example and tell me that is more creative than the music on "Lochness".

I assumed when you were talking about power metal, you meant European Power Metal of the last twenty or so years.  I guess I was mistaken.

Night Demon sounds like quality NWOBHM to me.  This is a genre I am a particular fan of and I think they emulate that sound well.  You don't like it.  That's cool.

I am not sure why you think Lochness is particularly good, but that's because we have different tastes in music. Also, you are a musician and I am not.  You come at things from a different perspective.  What you find valuable in a song probably doesn't always match up with what I like.  No problem there.  

We probably always talk past each other because we are essentially speaking different languages.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I found nothing to like about "Lochness." I was cringing the entire time I listened to it the first time and avoided it thereafter. Nostradamus was a bloated mess and a career misstep. Frankly, it was a baffling choice for Priest to attempt a double concept album. Priest are my favorite band, but I could not stomach that release and found it to be preposterous.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Lochness. Is it a classic? Of course not, but it's not terrible. You don't like it it's fine, but some people hate Maiden's To Tame a Land too. I think it's awesome. Angel of Retribution has its problems no doubt, and it ranks near the bottom of their catalogue.

And Nostradamus I still think is a pretty good record. Better, or at least more interesting than Angel of Retribution. The length makes the difference and also makes it harder to see. Nostradamus has so much diversity and you can skip tracks depending on your mood and still get your money's worth every time.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 pm

I actually really like Loch Ness and always have. I like the way that Eulogy sets it up and feel it's a nice way to close out a great album that, for me, ranks pretty high in their catalog.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 am

I liked Loch Ness from the first time I heard it. It has a cool vibe to it. And count me in as one of the haters of To Tame A Land. That's a boring tune.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:19 am

The instrumental second half of To Tame A Land is one of the best things Iron Maiden ever did. It goes along with the instrumental half of Alexander The Great which I consider in the same league, if possibly surpassing it.

Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 2:26 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Hmmm....  

I guess?

This is some of the laziest songwriting that I have heard.  One day there will be an app that generates albums like this with a button click.  Like a crappy DIAMOND HEAD with a lot less personality and creativity.

Never heard that referred as Power metal since Power metal generally has it's own sound but OK... Laziest songwriting? So writing good catchy songs with good riffs is lazy?? They have a Diamond Head influence but they are not a total copy. Just my two cents though.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Priest Album is Finished!
Page 19 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19