Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Priest Album is Finished!

Go down 
+50
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
jstate
bass63
TrogDawn
iamrockerfun
Shawn Of Fire
Glower
onrypt
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Lovecraft
Wayne
manny
ZombieHavoc
springozzy
Rex
brokentulsa
Eyesore
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Runicen
deathisgain
mr.electric39
nevermore
Vexer6
glassprison
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mc666
corplhicks
Lari
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
choosemetal
Witchfinder
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 pm

I really like the return to more complex vocal melodies and the reintroduction of the blues flavor to what they're doing. Not sure I'd rank it as highly as others here have, but it's a solid "good" album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Quote :
Not sure I'd rank it as highly as others here have, but it's a solid "good" album.

Agreed...

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 pm

If Judas Priest's name wasn't stamped on this album, then I'm pretty sure that significantly less people would've hyped this thing up.

Like I said, it's decent, but Judas Priest's a band with incredibly high standards for music quality. We will never have another album as flawless as Stained Class, but I know they still have some fresh ideas in mind.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 1:23 am

This album is yet to do some wonders for me. It is nice, but not exceptional.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 5:40 am

The more I listen to this album the more I think theirs something missing.

I think the songs are decent enough, some great riffs and solos and i think Robs voice sounds pretty decent considering his age. I do think the songs needed to be sped up a touch. Not into speed metal territory but they chug along at a pretty mid paced dare i say it boring pace. A lot of the time i'm listening to a song and it gets to a section where i expect things to speed up and get a little intense then it just carries on chugging along. Kinda like watching a firework do its thing expecting any minute for it to burst into life then it just fizzles out.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 am

I still think it's great... Will be a top ten for me in 2014.....
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am

Wayne wrote:
The more I listen to this album the more I think theirs something missing.

I think the songs are decent enough, some great riffs and solos and i think Robs voice sounds pretty decent considering his age. I do think the songs needed to be sped up a touch. Not into speed metal territory but they chug along at a pretty mid paced dare i say it boring pace. A lot of the time i'm listening to a song and it gets to a section where i expect things to speed up and get a little intense then it just carries on chugging along. Kinda like watching a firework do its thing expecting any minute for it to burst into life then it just fizzles out.

Anyone wanna speculate on whether this is down to modern studio techniques requiring that these guys play to a click when they used to probably plug in and go live?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am

The reason this album sounds lacking to some is the bizarre production. The guitars are robbed of all power and buried in the mix. I have no idea why. I really, really enjoy the album but the production blows and it robs many of the songs of any kind of immediacy or catchiness. That's why it takes repeated listens to get into it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

I know what you're describing, but it's a lot less oppressive than standard "brickwall" mixing.

It almost sounds monolithic. Things end up having appropriate space carved out for them in the mix, but it does feel like this big granola bar of sound.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:53 am

Runicen wrote:
I know what you're describing, but it's a lot less oppressive than standard "brickwall" mixing.  

It almost sounds monolithic.  Things end up having appropriate space carved out for them in the mix, but it does feel like this big granola bar of sound.

This album is brickwalled (DR rating or 5-6) and loud as always, but the guitars are buried. It may be the worst production job Priest has had - Sin After Sin held that title previously.

I still like the album very much and it will probably be a top five album of the year for me.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah, the production is a bit washed out...but I like the album.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm falling in love with this album, but the mix is abrasive. Not as bad as the Overkill album, which is drowned in midrange and overloud guitars, but the issue here is no matter how you eq it, that classic Priest tone is missing and replaced with a very messy spectrum. Again, i don't understand why bands succumb to this very error these days. But these songs just magically popped out (I'm actually listening to it on the road today) after more commitment then usually required with a Priest album, and suddenly i five myself raising the horns to Valhalla. Definitely in my top ten this year.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

They're coming to my province in a few months in support of the album.

Finally, I'll be getting to see Priest live toward the end of the year. This news really makes up for what has been so far a rather lackluster summer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Loch Ness is awful.  One of the worst tracks in the band's discography.

I didn't say THAT.  I just said I didn't want anyone to catch me rocking out to it.   Laughing 

Ugh. The lyrics are total garbage and the song is a turgid, boring mess.  It's a real stinker at the end of that album.  They should have ended AOR with "Eulogy" - that makes more sense anyway from a lyrical standpoint.  

But anyway, rock out to it if you like it.  

That was the first song on that lp that caught my attention, loved it then and still do! New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 604261
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 pm

I like that little doomy, dirge too. New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 604261
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Loch Ness is a cool tune. You naysayers are crazy ! insane lol!
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 11:36 pm

It's my favorite on the album by a long shot
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 2:12 am

Although there are no real grounds for comparison, I believe that redeemer of souls is better than the book of souls. So far, at least.

I haven't stopped listening to it for almost a year now!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:33 am

You haven't had a year to judge Book of Souls by that metric yet. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Lochness is a great song sans the corny lyrics in the chorus.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Runicen wrote:
You haven't had a year to judge Book of Souls by that metric yet.  Laughing

redeemer of souls had an immediate impact on me.

book of souls, and most maiden albums, rarely have such impact. They require numerous hours of listening. This exercise might prove boring, with some albums ending up as dust collectors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Music that takes much study and effort to fully comprehend is generally the most rewarding in the long run.  Albums I like right away...I tend to get bored with them quickly.

Like Redeemer Of Souls...which I listened to a bunch for about a month and then haven't had the desire to listen to again in about a year.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Loch Ness lyrics aren't that awful as long as you remember Rob's singing about the lake, not the monster, in the chorus.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Lari wrote:
Loch Ness lyrics aren't that awful as long as you remember Rob's singing about the lake, not the monster, in the chorus.

Uh, he's singing about the monster:

A beastly head of onyx
With eyes set coals of fire
It's leathered hide glides glistening
Ascends the heathered briar
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah, but I was talking about the "Loch Ness, confess" part that sticks to your head. I don't even remember those lyrics you posted.

Rob's addressing the lake, not the monster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Priest Album is Finished!
Page 18 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next