Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Priest Album is Finished!

Go down 
+50
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
jstate
bass63
TrogDawn
iamrockerfun
Shawn Of Fire
Glower
onrypt
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Lovecraft
Wayne
manny
ZombieHavoc
springozzy
Rex
brokentulsa
Eyesore
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Runicen
deathisgain
mr.electric39
nevermore
Vexer6
glassprison
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mc666
corplhicks
Lari
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
choosemetal
Witchfinder
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Quote :
I am shocked, SHOCKED that people make decisions based on their ability to pay their bills. What is this world coming to??!!! Pfftt.

Huh?  Is that the issue?

To have the audacity to refer to yourself as "THE metal god" after you've made those (sell-out) decisions is just absurd.

He wants to make metal again.  No prob.  He made a mistake.  No prob.  But how can you still call yourself that?  Face it, there are some folks out there more metal than Halford.

I guess I'm just not as much into unfettered idol worship as some.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Do we expect our metal gods to rely on teleprompters?  That seems a few steps short of deity status.

I'll take that over them forgetting the words or letting the audience do it for you. Just ask David Lee Roth or Vince Neil.

Do they each refer to themselves as THE Rock God (tm)?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Bunch of old men who don't really like metal and don't really like each other any more 'giving the fans what they want' for a pay day, just like countless other bands.

I'm with ultmetal on this, you either dig the record or you don't. Anyone calling themselves the metal god is very, very silly but who cares, the guy made some of the best heavy records of all time.

As for the character of the artist being important, we don't really know any of these guys, there are one or two who have committed acts of such grand douchery that I won't give them another penny (Ozzy & Varg) But even the guys who seem really cool, might spend their days stamping on puppies for all we know.

Judas Priest didn't 'adopt' the metal look, they pretty much invented it. Most of the leather studs and chains thing was initially Rob and he was pinching ideas straight from the gay 'leatherman' scene. He's said as much himself.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Do we expect our metal gods to rely on teleprompters?  That seems a few steps short of deity status.

I'll take that over them forgetting the words or letting the audience do it for you. Just ask David Lee Roth or Vince Neil.

Do they each refer to themselves as THE Rock God (tm)?

Not unless there was money in it. I've seen DLR referred to "The Ice Cream Man" in reviews, but I don't think that caught on nearly as well.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
I am shocked, SHOCKED that people make decisions based on their ability to pay their bills. What is this world coming to??!!! Pfftt.

Huh?  Is that the issue?

To have the audacity to refer to yourself as "THE metal god" after you've made those (sell-out) decisions is just absurd.

He wants to make metal again.  No prob.  He made a mistake.  No prob.  But how can you still call yourself that?  Face it, there are some folks out there more metal than Halford.

I guess I'm just not as much into unfettered idol worship as some.

You missed my point. Halford most likely did all of that for money and could be completely disingenous. Ultimately, I don't care.  All that crap is trivial nonsene and doesn't impact how the album sounds.  I choose not to get wrapped around the axle about such things. I'm not going to institute some type of authenticity purity test when it comes to the music I enjoy. Unless it's about Vivian Campbell - the hell with that jerk.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Unless it's about Vivian Campbell - the hell with that jerk.   Laughing 

What did he do?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:46 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

What did he do?

Said unkind things about Dio and then proceeded to suck for the rest of his career? I am sure he's a perfectly fine person, I meant it in jest.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

What did he do?

Said unkind things about Dio and then proceeded to suck for the rest of his career?  I am sure he's a perfectly fine person, I meant it in jest.

I figured you were joking by way of smiley face, but you know, I wasn't sure if there was some truth behind the joke.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Search "Vivian Campbell" here and see for yourself.  Smile 

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't get all the hate for Campbell.

Oh and that Fowley guy sounds like a total jag-off.

Who's "Varg"?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Who's "Varg"?

Burzum.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Who's "Varg"?

Anyone else want to take this or should I have a go at it?  Laughing 

As for Halford, there are two things I would point out: he's gone on record saying that having to or feeling as if he had to hide his sexuality in Priest led him into some pretty heavy drug and alcohol abuse in the 80s. Turning his back on Priest and metal when it probably had an association with that personal repression and so forth isn't exactly unexpected or untoward.

Also, as for trademarking "Metal God," I'm prepared to accept him at face value when he says he doesn't want someone else to trademark it and release crappy knockoff merch to Priest fans using it. The reason I'm prepared to do this is that neither he solo nor Priest have ever gone the "PREMIUM MERCHANDISE" route of pricing their stuff so you'd need to take out a home equity loan in order to pick it up as a fan. Hell, some of his remasters like the Fight box set are absolute steals direct from his website. Find me a single major artist in metal or any other genre who keeps their stuff affordable across the board.

Just my take, but I think the guy deserves respect for towing a line when he could be infinitely more douchey and STILL come out looking better than some other mainline acts.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

Who's "Varg"?

King Fowley is awesome. He is brutally honest about his feelings on music, but is a tireless supporter of the scene. You may be familiar with his bands Deceased and October 31 and his record label Old Metal Records?
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Oh yeah Burzum, i've only vaguely heard of them, in that case I can understand people not wanting to buy their music(i'll just stick to listening to it on Youtube), though I certainly wouldn't put Ozzy or Campbell in the same category as him.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 pm

I should state that I wrote the Metal Fraud line as a joke. I don't really have a problem with Halford and what he's said,done,etc. I've enjoyed just about everything he's ever done, except for that Two project or whatever it was called.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:08 pm

007 wrote:
I should state that I wrote the Metal Fraud line as a joke. I don't really have a problem with Halford and what he's said,done,etc. I've enjoyed just about everything he's ever done, except for that Two project or whatever it was called.
I thought "Two" was an interesting experiment.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Who's "Varg"?

King Fowley is awesome.  He is brutally honest about his feelings on music, but is a tireless supporter of the scene. You may be familiar with his bands Deceased and October 31 and his record label Old Metal Records?

I know very little about the man and was completely unaware that he was responsible for Old Metal Records. Learn something new everyday.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I would just like to point out that Bruce Dickinson said some pretty derogatory things about metal when he left Maiden too.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I would just like to point out that Bruce Dickinson said some pretty derogatory things about metal when he left Maiden too.

Not doubting you but I don't recall anything from him.  don\'t know 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Really? I didn't see that.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

What did he do?

Said unkind things about Dio and then proceeded to suck for the rest of his career?  I am sure he's a perfectly fine person, I meant it in jest.

He said some true things about Dio too that painted an unflattering image of another revered "metal god". Just another metal sacred cow.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
You missed my point. Halford most likely did all of that for money and could be completely disingenous.

Right.

Quote :
Ultimately, I don't care.  All that crap is trivial nonsene and doesn't impact how the album sounds.

No one said that it does.

Quote :
 I choose not to get wrapped around the axle about such things.  

But you issue a sarcastic comment on it when others are discussing it.

Quote :
I'm not going to institute some type of authenticity purity test when it comes to the music I enjoy.  

Good, me neither.  Again ... that wasn't the issue.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Derogatory may be a strong word but he was pretty clear that he had little to no interest in metal any more and that he wished that he had left Maiden after either Piece of Mind or Powerslave because he was bored with metal. I think it's in the Malcolm Dome Biog but i can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

What did he do?

He said some true things about Dio too that painted an unflattering image of another revered "metal god".  Just another metal sacred cow.

This not liking 'sacred cows' thing really is a sacred cow for you isn't it?  Laughing 

But yeah, he fell out with Dio, just like everyone else who ever worked with Dio. Great singer but maybe a little hard to get along with?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

What did he do?

He said some true things about Dio too that painted an unflattering image of another revered "metal god".  Just another metal sacred cow.

In legalese you are "assuming facts not in evidence." Neither you nor I know the "true" story about Dio and Viv. One party is dead and the other is obviously interested in presenting his side of the story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Priest Album is Finished!
Page 13 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next