Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Priest Album is Finished!

Go down 
+50
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
jstate
bass63
TrogDawn
iamrockerfun
Shawn Of Fire
Glower
onrypt
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Lovecraft
Wayne
manny
ZombieHavoc
springozzy
Rex
brokentulsa
Eyesore
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Runicen
deathisgain
mr.electric39
nevermore
Vexer6
glassprison
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mc666
corplhicks
Lari
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
choosemetal
Witchfinder
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm

A few songs have hints of that 70s Judas Priest sound, mostly Crossfire, Hell & Back and Cold Blooded.  Those were also the songs I most enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Lovecraft wrote:
A few songs have hints of that 70s Judas Priest sound, mostly Crossfire, Hell & Back and Cold Blooded.  Those were also the songs I most enjoyed.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:41 am

Weirdly, most of the bonus tracks on the Deluxe Version are better than the album tracks proper - just like on Sabbath's 13.  "Snakebite" sounds like it would fit perfectly on British Steel, "Tears of Blood" is very good and could have been on Screaming For Vengeance, "Creatures" reminds me of "Nightcrawler" and has that same kind of sinister monster theme, "Bring It On" is a modern take on "United," and "Never Forget" is another ballad - it's kinda of blah.  

I think you could make a very strong 10 track album out of these 18 cuts.  Pitch out some of the weaker tracks/ballads and it's better than Angel of Retribution.  Count me as pleasantly surprised.  I really thought this album would suck when they released the "Redeemer of Souls" single and I was completely underwhelmed. I am glad I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Honestly, I don't think the songs are all that bad. The production sounds a bit washed out and tends to soften the edges, which diminishes some of the energy, I think. Rob, while still sounding pretty damn good for over 60 (IMO), is definitely showing his age w/ his delivery.

That was my thought. I kept wanting to turn it up so that I could hear the music better without the vocals overpowering it.

However, other than production beefs, this sounds like Priest to me. I can't understand all the negative talk about this one.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:18 am

Oh and "Sword of Damocles" definitely has that Irish/Thin Lizzy vibe, does it not?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:58 am

I like it - haven't been able to listen to the bonus CD yet, but the album itself is good and sounds like Priest. Halford, as mentioned, is showing his age in his vocal delivery, but he seems to sing confident in range that is comfortable for him.

Faulkner fits in well on the album - you can tell he studied KK's playing style..... it seems like he learn a lot of Priest when he was first learning his instrument.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 pm

This one gave me a good chuckle. Ya gotta love King Fowley. He doesn't sugar coat things...

Quote :
since everyone keeps asking me about new judas priest, and my opinion...

ive though priest has been absolute shit since after 1984. followers into the mid 80s and beyond with hair metal compromise, light attempt at thrash toughen up with painkiller and then pantera ass smooching riding the bullet train..
and rob halford is a complete jagoff!!! hate his guts! talks shit goes away fails at thrash and techno has no choice but to come back. says 'im sorry' about his shit talking of metal, then self trademarks 'metal god' on himself. and shits out more turds in shit ass j.p! no one gets a 'break' cuz of their past. current merit to me is as important as past merit. and judas priest is absolutely DEAD IN THE WATER!
and if anyone wondered why k.k left awhile back... it's because halford coming back to priest (who were also playing paul's pizza palace without him) had its 'price'. he gets 70% of all money the band makes record and live wise. and the other 4 split the other 30% left over. k.k called him out and walked. long live the greed pig! pffffffft

i'll keep my memories with this band and leave it at that. i don't need to watch a wobbly old goat try not to fall over every step it takes!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Got this today. Might spin it tomorrow at work.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
This one gave me a good chuckle. Ya gotta love King Fowley. He doesn't sugar coat things...

Quote :
since everyone keeps asking me about new judas priest, and my opinion...

ive though priest has been absolute shit since after 1984. followers into the mid 80s and beyond with hair metal compromise, light attempt at thrash toughen up with painkiller and then pantera ass smooching riding the bullet train..
and rob halford is a complete jagoff!!! hate his guts! talks shit goes away fails at thrash and techno has no choice but to come back. says 'im sorry' about his shit talking of metal, then self trademarks 'metal god' on himself. and shits out more turds in shit ass j.p! no one gets a 'break' cuz of their past. current merit to me is as important as past merit. and judas priest is absolutely DEAD IN THE WATER!
and if anyone wondered why k.k left awhile back... it's because halford coming back to priest (who were also playing paul's pizza palace without him) had its 'price'. he gets 70% of all money the band makes record and live wise. and the other 4 split the other 30% left over. k.k called him out and walked. long live the greed pig! pffffffft

i'll keep my memories with this band and leave it at that. i don't need to watch a wobbly old goat try not to fall over every step it takes!

King cracks me up...  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 pm

He's right about Halford just coming back to metal for money (and leaving metal in the 90s for the same reason). Leaves when times are tough ... some "metal god".

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
some "metal god".

"Metal fraud", maybe?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:00 pm

007 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
some "metal god".

"Metal fraud", maybe?

Metal Frauds....... du....du du du
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Who friggin' cares? People change, people make stupid decisions, people change their minds, tastes change...blah, blah, blah. Who cares what Halford did in the 90's or what he said. He's no more a fraud than anyone else who is trying to make a living off music.

If the music is good, enjoy it. If you don't like the music, listen to something else.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm

It's a metal discussion forum. I'm agreeing with some of the things King was saying.

Who says I'm not "listening to something else"? What bearing does that have on anything at all?

Part of discussion is saying what you like and don't and why.

It's pretty audacious for him to have dubbed himself the metal god when he did what he did. Not to mention saying metal was dead, or have we already forgotten?

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Who friggin' cares? People change, people make stupid decisions, people change their minds, tastes change...blah, blah, blah. Who cares what Halford did in the 90's or what he said. He's no more a fraud than anyone else who is trying to make a living off music.

If the music is good, enjoy it. If you don't like the music, listen to something else.

New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 25679 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm

As for the 'Metal God' tag, according to Halford himself, the media and fans gave him that name, it wasn't his doing. He wasn't going around proclaiming to be the Metal God. However, he did get it trademarked and owns the rights to it because if he didn't, someone else certainly would have.

From a business stand point, if anyone is gonna make money off the name "Metal God", it should be him. I can't see the fault in that.

Quote :
Holland asked Halford about filing for a trademark of the name in 2009, to which the metal legend responded, “I would never put myself on that pedestal. That’s the title the fans started to give me after the famous ‘British Steel’ album.” But even though he’ll humbly accept the moniker from fans, he also feels protective of the nickname. “It’s something I really cherish,” says Halford. “I don’t want anybody else to be the metal god but me.”

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah, he claims the fans gave it to him. Did he ever refer to himself as that before he did "Resurrection"? I don't recall him doing that. So one fan says it and now he's the metal god? It's just PR I understand, and undeserved at that. How is he more of a metal god than say, Joey Demaio?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
As for the 'Metal God' tag, according to Halford himself, the media and fans gave him that name, it wasn't his doing. He wasn't going around proclaiming to be the Metal God. However, he did get it trademarked and owns the rights to it because if he didn't, someone else certainly would have.

From a business stand point, if anyone is gonna make money off the name "Metal God", it should be him. I can't see the fault in that.

Quote :
Holland asked Halford about filing for a trademark of the name in 2009, to which the metal legend responded, “I would never put myself on that pedestal. That’s the title the fans started to give me after the famous ‘British Steel’ album.” But even though he’ll humbly accept the moniker from fans, he also feels protective of the nickname. “It’s something I really cherish,” says Halford. “I don’t want anybody else to be the metal god but me.”

Reading about him trademarking the term "Metal God" was the first time I felt bummed out about Rob Halford. Although from what I'm reading here it sounds like I should've been bummed out about him for a long, long time. Heh.

Obviously all this stuff would not diminish my enjoyment of JP's music. But the character of an artist, as I've said many times (because we've had so many discussions similar), is important to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah, he claims the fans gave it to him.  Did he ever refer to himself as that before he did "Resurrection"?  I don't recall him doing that.  So one fan says it and now he's the metal god?  It's just PR I understand, and undeserved at that.  How is he more of a metal god than say, Joey Demaio?

Lucky coincidence? JP wrote a song called 'Metal Gods' and the name got associated with the more popular metal singer. Maybe if Manowar were known more for their songs than their choice of wardrobe and copious amounts of baby oil, he'd have a cool nickname to trademark.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah, he claims the fans gave it to him.  Did he ever refer to himself as that before he did "Resurrection"?  I don't recall him doing that.  So one fan says it and now he's the metal god?  It's just PR I understand, and undeserved at that.  How is he more of a metal god than say, Joey Demaio?

Lucky coincidence? JP wrote a song called 'Metal Gods' and the name got associated with the more popular metal singer. Maybe if Manowar were known more for their songs than their choice of wardrobe and copious amounts of baby oil, he'd have a cool nickname to trademark.

Collectively, they could trademark themselves the Kings of Metal. I also like Manowar more than Judas Priest. Heh.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Lucky coincidence? JP wrote a song called 'Metal Gods' and the name got associated with the more popular metal singer.

My point:  when was he called that before "Resurrection"?  I know the band may have been promoted as "metal gods" from that song, the way Madonna was called "the material girl" but when was he called the one "metal god" in that band?

Quote :
Maybe if Manowar were known more for their songs than their choice of wardrobe and copious amounts of baby oil, he'd have a cool nickname to trademark.

Yeah, JP were never known for their wardrobe.  Black leather and all.  I do know and enjoy early MANOWAR for their songs.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Do we expect our metal gods to rely on teleprompters? That seems a few steps short of deity status.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:18 pm

I am shocked, SHOCKED that people make decisions based on their ability to pay their bills. What is this world coming to??!!! Pfftt.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey, JP adopted the metal look. Leather, studs, chains, etc. They absolutely were known for their choice of wardrobe, no doubt about that. My point is that they reached a point in popularity with image AND music that Manowar did not.

Ask the average Joe on the street to name a Priest song and you'll get an answer. Ask the same guy about Manowar and you're likely to hear, "Are those the guys in loincloths?"

Quote :
when was he called that before "Resurrection"?
I got nothing to back that up, but speculation on my part would be the media taking the reigns on that one. Every magazine headline or review was "The Metal God Returns" or something of that nature.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Do we expect our metal gods to rely on teleprompters?  That seems a few steps short of deity status.

I'll take that over them forgetting the words or letting the audience do it for you. Just ask David Lee Roth or Vince Neil.

PostSubject: Re: New Priest Album is Finished!   New Priest Album is Finished! - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Priest Album is Finished!
Page 12 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next