Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

Go down 
+29
Smindas
rajah
Rex
chilejay7
Orion Crystal Ice
Olafsto
MetallicSeminarian
Thrasher73
metalhead777
Shawn Of Fire
tul
Alex Dee Rokket
Lari
Wargod
Dark Horseman
journeyman
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
ZombieHavoc
stormspell
Gilbert
mc666
GrandNational
corplhicks
exact33
MetalRob331
Eyesore
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 am

007 wrote:
I was always the opposite on the Dark Saga. I find it rather lifeless compared to other albums in their catalog. It's not terrible, it's just their weakest, I think.

When I owned 'The Dark Saga' it was probably the worst metal album in my collection.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 2:07 pm

mc666 wrote:
I was disappointed on the first 2 listens. I was hoping for something faster. I haven't wrote it off yet, but so far it comes across as the same mid paced melometal they've been doing since 96. Which is why I haven't been totally on board since Burnt Offerings.

That style is what I fell in love with about IE... I'm not a fan of speed metal as it starts all sounding too similar. Don't get me wrong, when done right it's amazing but the midpaced songs with those great hooks i.e. The Culling, Peacemaker, and Spirit of the Times, all have me coming back for another listen.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm

I love their faster songs like Violate and Disciples of the Lie, or Days of Rage from Dystopia.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm

If anyone's interested, here (click) is the lost Iced Earth discography thread that I saved from Google cache as a zip-file.

EDIT: I have a few others, like Maiden, Priest, Savatage, KISS, in case anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Streaming it now. It's giving me goosebumps. That's a good sign, yeah?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

It arrived in the mail today. I'll give it a listen tonight after work.

I haven't heard anything off it yet. I've been pretty hyped up about it, but I've kept myself from listening to samples.

Did anyone watch the DVD yet?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 am

Any information on different versions of this album being released, ie deluxe editions with bonus tracks or Best Buy exclusives? Anything like that?

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 am

The options I saw were regular CD, CD+DVD or double vinyl. No bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 am

Lari wrote:

Bummer. Oh well, I probably just grab the plain cd then and skip the dvd.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Lari wrote:

That's what I'm planning. No sense in paying extra for something I might watch once.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 am

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Lari wrote:

That's what I'm planning. No sense in paying extra for something I might watch once.

Yup, same here. Of the very, very few that I've even bothered to watch once, I can't think of any that have gotten a 2nd viewing from me.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 am

I am so over the bonus tracks/different editions thing now that I am intentionally buying the standard version of albums. Except in rare instances (Alice Cooper mianly), I can live without owning every song a band I like puts out.

I do not want to fuel this ridiculous fire any more.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Lari wrote:

Yup, same here. Of the very, very few that I've even bothered to watch once, I can't think of any that have gotten a 2nd viewing from me.

Ditto. Hell, I bought the Best Buy version of the new Motorhead (w/bonus DVD) three months ago now and I still haven't gotten around to watching the DVD that came with it. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm

I usually put those on when i'm on the exercise bike but I never make it through the whole video.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Listening online a few times now and The Culling is the standout track and I really enjoy Peacemaker with the change of pace and vocals styling to start it. The cover of Highwayman is cool with the different vocalists.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Listening online a few times now and The Culling is the standout track and I really enjoy Peacemaker with the change of pace and vocals styling to start it. The cover of Highwayman is cool with the different vocalists.

When I first downloaded it, "Highwayman" wasn't included in the download. I got it recently...and I think it's HORRIBLE. Just a complete mess. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I thought it was dreadful. And then that stupid outro is the most pointless thing the band has ever down. Why it's even included as a track is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Ha, I haven't listened to the outro. I never understand why bands do that.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Three listens now. I think I'm disagreeing with the majority here on the highlights of the album. To me, Democide and Ctulhu are the best and the ones that rock the most. Ctulhu could have been on Dystopia. A great track. Democide has a nice combination of speed and aggression and that Iced Earth sensitivity.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 am

Well after saying I won't get the edition with the dvd I ended up getting that one. It was only a dollar more and was the version available for pickup at Best Buy. Plus I has reward zone points used toward it and it only cost me $3.17. I'll be picking it up later today.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 am

I listened on Spotify. I thought it sounded fine, but I'm just not into this band like I used to be.

The last record I bought was Glorious Burden, but I've checked out every album since. As I've gotten older, Iced Earth just has been a band I've sort of "grown out of". Although, who knows what will happen one day, as I used to think I'd grown out of Pantera too, and then a couple years ago I all of a sudden could not get enough of them again.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

I love the album. Getting it for my birthday. It's not quite Dystopia but it's far better than the Ripper albums. Cthulu is definitely the standout track for me. But seriously, this whole thing gives me goosebumps, and that never happens these days.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 2:49 pm

The Glorious Burden is my fave by IE.
Back to top Go down
chilejay7
Metal novice
Metal novice
chilejay7

Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 5:09 pm

I picked it up last week from a local store. Aside from a copule of songs I'm kind of disappointed. It's okay, but it won't get played as much as a lot of their other albums for me.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
The Glorious Burden is my fave by IE.

I love Burden, especially the suite at the end. For one thing, with all the European history lessons going on in UK Power Metal, it's awesome that Schaffer elected to conceptualize a broad section of American history for his work, and he does it well (reminds me of Maiden's historical output that taught me so much as a kid). My only problem is Owens. He's a great vocalist, really, but he's boring. The dude has range but nothing unique, and comes across as silly at times. But I just shrug it off; the music is merciless and powerful. I feel the same way with Framing Armageddon.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm listening to it now. First impression ? Pretty good so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next