Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

Go down 
+29
Smindas
rajah
Rex
chilejay7
Orion Crystal Ice
Olafsto
MetallicSeminarian
Thrasher73
metalhead777
Shawn Of Fire
tul
Alex Dee Rokket
Lari
Wargod
Dark Horseman
journeyman
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
ZombieHavoc
stormspell
Gilbert
mc666
GrandNational
corplhicks
exact33
MetalRob331
Eyesore
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm

The ending to the Spirit of the Times brings up memories of the trilogy at the end of Dark Saga.

I don't hate the cover song either. It sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I think Highwaymen starts off rather weak or shaky, but it quickly gets better as it goes on. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am

My only problem is Owens. He's a great vocalist, really, but he's boring. The dude has range but nothing unique, and comes across as silly at times. But I just shrug it off; the music is merciless and powerful. I feel the same way with Framing Armageddon. wrote:

I don't find it boring but he is over the top at times. Don't mind it though, he is swimming in the waters so many are that Halford first cut the channel in.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

I don't find it boring but he is over the top at times. Don't mind it though, he is swimming in the waters so many are that Halford first cut the channel in.

Well said.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:13 am

Anyone else curious about the lack of bonus tracks? I'm planning to pick this up at Best Buy, which has the cheapest price, but part of me wants to hold off and just listen to the download for now. It's very possible the band didn't record any extra tracks, but I'm wondering if a special edition is coming. I f*cking hate when labels do this. Winery Dogs just did, which is highly annoying.

So do I wait? Sucks. =(
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 am

Eyesore wrote:
Anyone else curious about the lack of bonus tracks? I'm planning to pick this up at Best Buy, which has the cheapest price, but part of me wants to hold off and just listen to the download for now. It's very possible the band didn't record any extra tracks, but I'm wondering if a special edition is coming. I f*cking hate when labels do this. Winery Dogs just did, which is highly annoying.

So do I wait? Sucks. =(

I was a bit surprised by this as well. It's become so common-place to expect "special editions" now, that just a plain release seems boring. I picked up the single disc, no dvd copy last night at FYE for $9.99. I was supposed to get a free set of IE pins with purchase, but the kid behind the counter couldn't find them. They took my number and said they'll call if and when they find them. We'll see.

Same thing happened when I purchased Motorhead's Aftershock. Big sign right next to the cd. "FREE MOTORHEAD PATCH WITH PURCHASE". So I go up to the counter and they can't find them. They did call though the next day. Had to make a special trip back to the mall to pick it up, so that was a little annoying.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am

I rarely wait and if there are bonus tracks later I listen and dl if I like them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 am

Eyesore wrote:
And then that stupid outro is the most pointless thing the band has ever down. Why it's even included as a track is beyond me.

Just heard it. WTF was the point of that? That was sooooooo stupid.

Onto my 2nd spin, while nothing is jumping out at me from a single song stand point, I think it's a decent IE album so far. Sounds like what you'd expect from them I guess. Jon has a sound and formula and he's sticking with it. Nothing wrong with that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And then that stupid outro is the most pointless thing the band has ever down. Why it's even included as a track is beyond me.

Just heard it. WTF was the point of that? That was sooooooo stupid.

Onto my 2nd spin, while nothing is jumping out at me from a single song stand point, I think it's a decent IE album so far. Sounds like what you'd expect from them I guess. Jon has a sound and formula and he's sticking with it. Nothing wrong with that.

At least on the official release it's not a listed track. All the downloads had it listed as "Outro," so I thought it was dumb. It's still dumb, but I guess it's better as an unlisted or hidden track.

But yeah, white people doing Dave Chappelle is annoying as hell. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
But yeah, white people doing Dave Chappelle is annoying as hell. Haha.[/

Especially when they don't have the balls to say it the real way it was done.  Laughing 

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 pm

When I saw Iced Earth/Symphony X back on the Dystopia tour, they all sang Happy Birthday to Michael Romeo and Russell Allen kept saying "F**k yo couch!"....it was funny at first but then got kinda annoying. HA!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Since I'm not seeing much thread bumping now that the album is out, I'm gonna say what everyone must be thinking. This album is kinda dull, isn't it?

I've been spinning it quite a bit since getting it the week of release but I'm just not finding much to hold my interest. I want to like it, but it's another one of those albums that sounds all well and good while it's on, then immediately forgotten when it's over.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 3:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Since I'm not seeing much thread bumping now that the album is out, I'm gonna say what everyone must be thinking. This album is kinda dull, isn't it?

I've been spinning it quite a bit since getting it the week of release but I'm just not finding much to hold my interest. I want to like it, but it's another one of those albums that sounds all well and good while it's on, then immediately forgotten when it's over.

Anyone agree or disagree?

This is how I'm feeling lately about most Iced Earth. I used to really like these guys, but lately I find myself bored with them. Maybe in a few months or so they'll click with me again. Until (and if) that happens, I have no plans on picking up the new one.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 pm

i'm liking it, not as much Dystopia but it's strong in my book.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 4:41 pm

I am just getting into it slow.

The opening track is awesome. Reminds me of Dante's Inferno in a way. "The End?" is a good one, too. Ctulhu is probably my favourite track so far.

I'm avoiding listening to it in the car or somewhere where I'm not paying as much attention.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Bought it over the weekend. I am really enjoying it. Love their version of Highwayman.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 6:05 pm

I've been spinning it quite a bit during work trips, actually. It's almost Dystopia's equal, but stumbles with the last few tracks. Peacemaker is growing on me slowly. The slower spots aren't bad songs, I've just grown tired of Iced Earth ballads is all--not necessarily a criticism. Highwayman is horrible; it's just an awkward fit, maybe better as a bonus track. The outro is pretty lame but I just stop it before it gets there. Otherwise, the opener, The Culling, Cthulhu, Parasite, Democide--all as intense as the Dystopia material.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 11:58 pm

I love it, but since I downloaded it prior to release, I've done all my talking about it. Haha. It's definitely not gonna go down as a classic metal album, but it's far from dull.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 am

This is worth watching:

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 am

Picked this up about a fortnight ago and have been really enjoying it. It's as good as, if not slightly better than, Dystopia to my ears. It's generally very solid, if occasionally slightly phoned in at a couple of points, but tracks like 'Peacemaker' have become favourites for me. I also think 'If I Could See You' is a nice addition to Iced Earth's overly cheesy metal ballad collection (no one does those quite like them). Controversially though, my favourite thing about the album is the utterly nonsensical cover of 'The Highwayman'. A brilliant song delivered in perhaps the most ludicrously overblown way possible - it's kind of amazing. If any bonus tracks do surface, I hope they're all inappropriate covers of country songs.

Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am

I finally picked this up today and I'm on my second spin.

First impressions were disappointing if I'm honest.  

I thought dystopia was a fantastic album and a real shot in the arm for iced earth after a couple of what I'd describe as mediocre albums. I love Stu's vocals and think he's a great fit for iced earth and I hope he stays around for a while. I just found the music on this new album a tad under whelming and forgettable.  I did like the end, peacemaker and cthulha but nothing really jumped out at me. The albums not bad but after Dystopia I was expecting something a bit more. Can't put my finger on it really.

Having said all that I'm typing this as the album is playing and the second time round I cranked it loud through my home cinema set up and the tittle track does sound a lot more memorable this tine round :)listening to democide now and this is a nice speedy track but has a lack of soloing for me. I think thats something I've noticed on this album. Some tracks have some cracking solos but a lot of the tracks seem to go into a breakdown where a ripping solo would sound awesome yet it doesn't happen.

Overall a 6/10 on first listen however its sounding a lot better on second listen pumping out of my surround sound system in the living room. Could be a grower.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 am

Growers are good.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:14 pm

I still prefer Plagues, over Dystopia.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm not too fond of the song Resistance. Sounds forced and the melody for the chorus is underwhelming. I tend to skip it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 pm

I think dystopia is better. I still tend to return to this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon   Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next