Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm

I like Deliverance quite a bit, but find their debut to be a bit overrated. All the songs sound a bit too similar to me. I prefer Weapons and Stay of Execution.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

I like Megadeth-Risk and Twisted Sister- Come Out And Play.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Pestilence - Spheres is a good album.

Monstrosity is better than Cannibal Corpse.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Although I strongly disagree with him, I one came across someone who considered Bathory's album Octagon to be better than Blood Fire Death.

Now how is that for an unorthodox opinion?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 pm

All kinds of comedy gold to be found in this thread. lol!

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Pestilence - Spheres is a good album.

Six Feet Under are better then Cannibal Corpse.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Good one, there. Monstrosity slays.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm

The only opinions I can't honestly take seriously in this thread are the takes on Ozzy-era Sabbath. Not bashing anyone, but I can't wrap my head around that. I always figured anyone that liked any metal loved those first 6 Ozzy Sabbath records.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Wurthless wrote:
The only opinions I can't honestly take seriously in this thread are the takes on Ozzy-era Sabbath. Not bashing anyone, but I can't wrap my head around that. I always figured anyone that liked any metal loved those first 6 Ozzy Sabbath records.

I can only speak for myself, but Ozzy's whiney singing style is really annoying to me. I still dig the albums though.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Why are there Christian, Satanic, devil, or any other belief bands? Who cares what you believe and listening to a song sure isn't going to change mine.

Way too many classifications of Metal. It's either metal or it's not.

I can't stand bands that think because noise is coming out of their mouth they are singing.

Music is largely meant to be sold and bands selling their music and being successful isn't selling out. That's why they call it the music business.

Love it when a band does new and different stuff. Hey, I'm not the same chap as I was a year ago and really don't expect any band be to either.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but Ozzy's whiney singing style is really annoying to me. I still dig the albums though.

I mean, Ozzy's definitely not a good singer, but he really fit their sound. Not many people could achieve that same feel those four guys had together.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Honestly, I enjoy Cannabis Corpse more than Cannibal Corpse.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Wurthless wrote:

I mean, Ozzy's definitely not a good singer, but he really fit their sound. Not many people could achieve that same feel those four guys had together.

..and my reply is.....

MEH.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

..and my reply is.....

MEH.

Well crafted response. I can respect that. Razz
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that Ozzy's vocal style starts to wear on the nerves after awhile, it's easier to deal with in his solo material.

I actually think Dio was a better fit for Sabbath.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 pm

I have no problem with Ozzy from 1970 till 1986, basically like everything he did in those years (not crazy about the Sabbath-covers album Speak Of The Devil but that's primarily due to the band playing the songs). He hasn't released a solid album since The Ultimate Sin, but there are scattered tracks here and there afterward that I like.

One of the main reasons I have issues with those later albums is that Zakk Wylde annoys the hell out of me, always wish I could add an "artificial harmonic electrocution circuit" to his guitar.

Is Ozzy a great singer? No. Do I like him anyway? Yes.

Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Quote :
always wish I could add an "artificial harmonic electrocution circuit" to his guitar.

I shall retire to my lair and begin designs for a prototype. :glee:

Building a better world!

While I'm at it I'll fix up a bark collar for James Hetfield set to go off everytime he shouts "yeah"
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 pm

I like Wylde, but I personally prefer Jake E Lee.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 am

I like wylde too, and Hetfield... But it wouldn't hurt either of them to dial it down a little with their "personal flourishes"

Its getting into unintentional caricature territory and detracts from their otherwise awesome talent.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

James B. wrote:
I agree with Eddie Trunk that UFO (Schenker era) is/was one of the best bands ever !

Does not mean that you have to admit for the sake of adding another digit to your post count....
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 am

Wurthless wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

..and my reply is.....

MEH.

Well crafted response. I can respect that. Razz

And I will agree with Spec here. We all love BS/Ozzy and the ground they broke. But, if Earth/BS had Gary Barden singing instead of Ozzy? Gary could have pulled off the fashion, as could anyone. Just using Gary Barden as an example, but the first decade of Sabbath may/might/could have been bigger and more enjoyable to listen to in the long run than Ozzy. I will always prefer Ozzy's solo stuff to the monster that was early Sabbath, simply because we all knew he was a parody by then. But he surrounded himself with incredible musicians [read the Rockdetector bio on Ozzy, written completely by all of the members of the Blizzard throughout the years, with no input from Ozzy himself.]
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Rage > Scanner, Blind Guardian, Running Wild, Helloween and Angel Dust combined.

I fixed it for you. lol!

Not that there is a single thing wrong with the other bands at all, but come on, 'Scantropolis'? sick

Still haven't listened to this album through. Usually stop at like 3rd song Very Happy But it's one out of 3 mindblowing records and a good one, while post Black In Mind (included) Rage doesn't move me at all. But I LOVE all bands I listed except BG.

Back to topic, can't get into most 60's - 70's music.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 am

Ozzy and melody go well together, like a port and chicken fresco w/lemon butter sauce. Mmm.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 am

I like Queensryche's post Empire material like Now Frontier and Dedicated To Chaos.

I like a lot of so-called "sellout" albums like Krokus-Change Of Address and Savatage- Fight For The Rock.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:23 am

I think "sellout" is an overused word, practically a cliche, that is used to negatively describe an artist's or band's growing success. I think a better way to term it is that they are getting more "commercial." Now for some of us, that isn't that big of a deal, but the rest of us find the direction disconcerting because when music becomes commercial the music gets sidelined for image, style, and gloss. This can all become very cold and distanced from the listener. As for the case with thrash bands, well, history has shown us that thrash bands going commercial stop being thrash bands and end up being metal bands, because the thrash elements that typically don't groove with the mass demographic are tossed to allow for a more accessible and mainstream production.

To sum up, no one is selling out. It's just a direction that could be for the good or bad of the band's intent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 5 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next